Pentax Q: Distortion correction for RAW shots with Apple Aperture?

Started Nov 27, 2012 | Questions
Rosember Senior Member • Posts: 1,816
Pentax Q: Distortion correction for RAW shots with Apple Aperture?

I am very much enjoying my newly bought Q with 01 prime. For post processing of the RAW files I use Apple Aperture (newest version). Unfortunately, Aperture has no integrated distortion correction. Thus my Q-01-shots at times show very visible distortion. Any idea how to prevent this?

I already tried PTlens but the result is not convincing and the plug-in states the Q was not calibrated although PTlens claims to have calibrated all Q lenses (or at least the 01 and 02).

The distortion in the RAW images is not a game stopper for me, yet, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rosember's gear list:Rosember's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Hythloday Senior Member • Posts: 2,010
Re: Pentax Q: Distortion correction for RAW shots with Apple Aperture?

I supplied the pictures for the Pentax Q lenses you mentioned. PTLens works correctly under PSE 11. You should select RAW and not JPEG. The lenses were corrected for 4:3 images.

OP Rosember Senior Member • Posts: 1,816

Hythloday wrote:

I supplied the pictures for the Pentax Q lenses you mentioned. PTLens works correctly under PSE 11. You should select RAW and not JPEG. The lenses were corrected for 4:3 images.

Thanks for your comment. I used the PTLens plug-in (latest version) for Aperture - and, unfortunately, it did not work. The stand alone version seems to be doing what it should, though. I will give it another try tomorrow.

Pentax K20D Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +4 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Senior Member • Posts: 2,563
No, Apple does not support even Aperture

Aperture was great a few years back, but Apple isn't doing anything to pace the fast moving imaging world, especially in smaller sensor / bridge camera market which is flourishing since the last two years and in which image quality has increased radically.

It takes a year, or more, for some cameras to get a proper support. Also, today's obvious things like lens distortions corrections are not included in Aperture, nor people have any clue about the schedule of updates of the software — whether their cameras will be supported in Aperture or does the Aperture has any update path at all.

On the other hand, if you're shooting with a Pentax DSLR that supports DNG, things are a bit brighter, albeit not perfect, because basics for large sensor imaging were nailed down and are slower to change (Fuji's new APS-C sensor being an exception).

They say camera manufacturers make their own camera obsolete, but Apple makes them unusable.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Rosember wrote:

Hythloday wrote:

I supplied the pictures for the Pentax Q lenses you mentioned. PTLens works correctly under PSE 11. You should select RAW and not JPEG. The lenses were corrected for 4:3 images.

Thanks for your comment. I used the PTLens plug-in (latest version) for Aperture - and, unfortunately, it did not work. The stand alone version seems to be doing what it should, though. I will give it another try tomorrow.

I tried the PTLens plug-in today again - without success. The plug-in seems to be broken for the Q, but at least the stand alone version works.

Re: No, Apple does not support even Aperture

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Aperture was great a few years back, but Apple isn't doing anything to pace the fast moving imaging world, especially in smaller sensor / bridge camera market which is flourishing since the last two years and in which image quality has increased radically.

It takes a year, or more, for some cameras to get a proper support. Also, today's obvious things like lens distortions corrections are not included in Aperture, nor people have any clue about the schedule of updates of the software — whether their cameras will be supported in Aperture or does the Aperture has any update path at all.

On the other hand, if you're shooting with a Pentax DSLR that supports DNG, things are a bit brighter, albeit not perfect, because basics for large sensor imaging were nailed down and are slower to change (Fuji's new APS-C sensor being an exception).

They say camera manufacturers make their own camera obsolete, but Apple makes them unusable.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

I am afraid you might be right, Zvonimir. I am still hoping for an Aperture version 4, though, as I am very used to the program and really like the system integration and what it can do with RAW files.

Maybe, in the case of the Q and the broken PTLens plug-in, I should contact the makers of PTLens.

arnelie
arnelie Regular Member • Posts: 383
LR4 supports Q Prime 01

For your information, Light Room 4 supports distortion correction of Pentax Q Prime 01. I believe also 02 lens and others are supported, but I cannot verify this.

/Arne

arnelie's gear list:arnelie's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +10 more
Thomas Niemann Veteran Member • Posts: 4,353
PTLens update

The Aperture plug-in for PTLens has been fixed. An error in the release script. Just download/install again.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes, guys & gals!

Tom Niemann, Author PTLens

Rosember wrote:

Maybe, in the case of the Q and the broken PTLens plug-in, I should contact the makers of PTLens.

Re: PTLens update

Thomas Niemann wrote:

The Aperture plug-in for PTLens has been fixed. An error in the release script. Just download/install again.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes, guys & gals!

Tom Niemann, Author PTLens

Rosember wrote:

Thanks, Tom! Works great now.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads