Post your pics of colour an BOKEH.

Started Nov 26, 2012 | Discussions
DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 3,557
I strongly disagree.

Suntan wrote:

Sorry if all this seems too harsh. But the reality is that there is almost nothing good about that picture.

-Suntan

I strongly disagree. While it is true the execution of the subject fails,  the background is beautifully framed, exposed, and timed. Shooting at a location- with people  that you have no control over-  that counts for quite a bit.

A great start.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,018
Re: Post your pics of colour an BOKEH.

D700man wrote:

aaaaah that beloved 50L lens........I love the results with that lens. Wish Nikon had something equivalent to it. That 135 is a monster! Love the bokeh on the b&w

Thanks.  Both are my favorites in the Canon lineup.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Suntan Veteran Member • Posts: 5,915
Re: I strongly disagree.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But as you yourself alluded to, this picture would have been much better if the OP simply focused on the background and blurred out the daughter hovering in the corner of the foreground.

-Suntan

Suntan's gear list:Suntan's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D300 Nikon D750
JeffHallPhoto
JeffHallPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 321
Here you go:

Yaamon Senior Member • Posts: 1,743
A few

Yaamon's gear list:Yaamon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Sony SLT-A35 Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Patrick456 New Member • Posts: 4
Re: I strongly disagree.

Joseluisherrans,

I think your picture has a nice bokeh, with nice colorplay, but the picture doesn't give credit to your otherwise beautiful daughter

Ccostas New Member • Posts: 11

Some of mine, hope you like it

-- hide signature --

ccostas

Ccostas's gear list:Ccostas's gear list
Tokina AT-X 12-28mm f/4 Pro DX
OP joseluisherranz Contributing Member • Posts: 550

Thanks to all for the replies.

I love your shallow DOF portraits and colourful bokeh.

I am enjoying it a lot.

joseluisherranz's gear list:joseluisherranz's gear list
Sony a5000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
markhayphotography Regular Member • Posts: 173

It is a great picture. Since the thread is specifically about bokeh, that's what I was looking at.....no peeping required. I noticed because I know DOF progression works frontward and backward from the focus point. Your progression moving left and right, which can't result from the natural bokeh created with a wide open lens.

JTatyosian wrote:

No thunder killed. Yes, the background does have some processing applied to it. It's my style. As a photographer, it's my responsibility to create art and pieces that people never get tired of looking at. This was created for my client's wall, not for critique. My clients don't usually come to me for natural pictures taken straight from my camera.

I'm curious, was the bokeh plane differential really the first thing you noticed or were you peeping just a little bit?

tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,639
are these shot in RAW?

The color balance is all over the place, from green to orange. What happened? RAW would allow easy correction.

jfinite Veteran Member • Posts: 8,100
I'll play...
 jfinite's gear list:jfinite's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
D700man
D700man Regular Member • Posts: 262
Re: are these shot in RAW?

tko wrote:

The color balance is all over the place, from green to orange. What happened? RAW would allow easy correction.

Yes all shot in RAW, thanks for the input.

-- hide signature --

www.brentpearcy.com

D700man's gear list:D700man's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +3 more
linux99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,123

Taken with a point and shoot (oly xz1).

Taken with a micro 4/3 - was a grab shot when I saw the rainbow.

linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +14 more
Brev00
Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,212
I Usually Just Offer Critiques

But, I can add a shot or two that might qualify under this topic. I seldom shoot portraits, per se, but sometimes they happen while I am doing something else:

Synchronized figure skaters perform a moving circle.

Getting in tune right before the performance.

I did the above black and white version but it pales next to the color, literally, I think.

Turning the lens away from the soccer action to a parent for a moment.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +4 more
jfinite Veteran Member • Posts: 8,100

I dig that second shot, consider lightening the shadow side of her face in post.

jfinite's gear list:jfinite's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
William DIllard Senior Member • Posts: 2,492

joseluisherranz wrote:

I love the color as well as the bokeh in your pic and the bokeh does look like a painting. Kind of like a watercolour. Mine was done on a mildly overcast day with the 5D and the 50L lens shot wide open. Very creamy due to the effect of shootinging the direction of the street I was on. Im sure with the distance behind the subject I would have gotten nice bokeh with smaller apertures but it would not have quite the same look.

Isolating subjects from the background is not easy.

But you can achive it with distance to the background, lighting and colour.

This pic was shot with not a very wide aperture with a tele (oops sinned again) but I think the difussion of the background and the bokeh are nice.

Also the colors I think.

Will apreciate opinions, only if you post your own samples.

It is easy to critique others without exposing your own pics for reciprocity. Fair treat.

No more seriously, will like to see nice portraits with good, creamy and colourful bokeh just for the pleasure of contemplation.

The background here reminds me of the paintings of Sorolla, a Spanish painter.

Side note: I posted this on the m43 forum to demonstrate that good background isolation can be achieved even with small sensors and apertures of 5.6.

William DIllard's gear list:William DIllard's gear list
Tokina AF-X Pro 16-50mm f/2.8 DX
Re: Post your pics of colour an BOKEH. .......Question !

JTatyosian wrote:

I don't have access to a lot of my pictures right now, and I haven't posted in these forums in a while. Your Post caught my eye so here is my response:

I definitely agree that your subject has been isolated from the background. The bokeh is quite pleasant in nature, especially from the camera you were using. It really surprises me that it can produce these results at f/5.6. Skin tones aren't too bad either, if you ask me, considering your subject was directly in the sunlight.

Here is my photo taken with the best digital camera yet produced in my opinion, the Nikon D700:

I would like to know which software you used to enhance the bokeh ? Alien Skin maybe ? Nice work !

Nikon D700 with Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8

Wish I could post more of my photos. I am a huge bokeh guy

-- hide signature --

John Tatyosian

Check out my site: http://www.jtatphotos.com

This was an impromptu capture with my Sigma 85 1.4 wide open on a 5D.  I felt I needed to lessen the contrast with this in order to get a feel for it. But with Canon lenses I use neutral settings.

Tazz_25 Regular Member • Posts: 155

Here's a few of mine.

C & C much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tazz_25's gear list:Tazz_25's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR
Ed Woodson
Ed Woodson Contributing Member • Posts: 797

-- hide signature --

While men refuse to ask for direction, women refuse to follow directions.
www.edwoodsonphotography.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads