GH3 EVF smearing?

Started Nov 25, 2012 | Discussions
ianbrown Senior Member • Posts: 1,969
GH3 EVF smearing?

Anyone else have an issue with this?

When I hold the viewfinder to my eye and hold it perfectly steady, no problem.

But if my eye moves ever so slightly the image smears badly.

Any feedback appreciated.

By the way other than this its an excellent camera.

Ian

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
glanzrabe Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: GH3 EVF smearing?

as I said in an other thread I recognized that on a preproduction sample and hoped they would change it for the final version. But apparently not. In fact at this point the OM-D and G5 are much better..  And it´s a reason for me not to buy the GH3. Especially because better video than with the OM-D or G5 is of no use for me and the stills quality is probably not much better..

It´s sad because otherwise the bigger body design is what I like. But I hope the next Olympus body will also be a bit bigger than the OM-D.

-- hide signature --

bert

Peng Bian
Peng Bian Contributing Member • Posts: 608

And with a bigger grip we don't have to shell out additional $ for 

Peng Bian's gear list:Peng Bian's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
paul cool
paul cool Senior Member • Posts: 1,540

I notice smearing when camera eye piece not held square to the eye ,moving my eyes makes very little difference to the image,I think the what digital team noticed it not being as sharp in the far corners this is what you are maybe seeing ,

paul cool's gear list:paul cool's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
DonParrot Veteran Member • Posts: 4,929

Peng Bian wrote:

Well... How do you get rid of the grip if you want a more compact camera for your evening in town or whatever?

I'm aware that µFT needs big bodies to be respected as system that also suits the pros but I really hope that this won't result in the old DSLR paradigm that you get the top-of-the-line technology only in a big body. Been there, done that.

-- hide signature --

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4688736761_6fd06ae5c8_o.jpg
Why not - if there's enough space on the sofa...
I'm a HOlygan

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +13 more
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,623

DonParrot wrote:

Peng Bian wrote:

Well... How do you get rid of the grip if you want a more compact camera for your evening in town or whatever?

You detach your lens from the GH3 and attach it to a GX1 or an OM-D.

One of the real strengths of of the M43 system, IMHO, is that so many different body types and sizes are available so that you can use what suits you (and the occasion) best.

kryten61 Regular Member • Posts: 289

EVERY camera has its quirks,    Surely its not a deal breaker.

kryten61's gear list:kryten61's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Samsung NX1 Sony Alpha a7R II
Mike Ronesia
Mike Ronesia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,034

Sean Nelson wrote:

DonParrot wrote:

You detach your lens from the GH3 and attach it to a GX1 or an OM-D.

One of the real strengths of of the M43 system, IMHO, is that so many different body types and sizes are available so that you can use what suits you (and the occasion) best.

Now that wasn't so hard to figure out, was it?  I love the fact that we can have a competent body for a photo shoot and another compact body for when you're just out and about having fun while only needing one set of lenses. M4/3's really is the best of both worlds.

-- hide signature --

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sigma sd Quattro +12 more
Larry Silverberg Regular Member • Posts: 157

Paul, I am wondering since you have been shooting with your new gh3, is this issue something you really notice as you are shooting normally, or, is it more a problem when you are stopping to look around the EVF to see if there is a problem?  The reason I ask is because in the last few days I have seen a lot of new photos and video shot with the gh3 and none off these pro's have mentioned any problem with the EVF. Early on, I did read about the corners being less clear, but even that was resolved for some when the EVF was properly adjusted for the photographers eye. What is your experience? When you are shooting photos, isn't your eye normally square to the viewfinder? I am waiting for the release of the camera here and hopefully I will have the Gh3 in the next few weeks, I will give some reports on this as well. Thanks to all for these reports.

Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,007

This is normally a problem with sequential color LCD EVFs, isn't it? I was under the impression that the GH3 is using OLED and not a sequential LCD.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 4,940

Promit wrote:

This is normally a problem with sequential color LCD EVFs, isn't it? I was under the impression that the GH3 is using OLED and not a sequential LCD.

I don't think this is an OLED vs LCD issue.  The problem is that the lens in front of the ViewFinder is of insufficient quality to keep the corners sharp.  Disappointing for a high end body.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
paul cool
paul cool Senior Member • Posts: 1,540

Ill have another check with mine today ,I must say its not something I've really noticed being unsharp in corners it doesn't stand out as obvious to me .yes your right the view finder is normaly square to the eye ,it's just I couldn't see smearing/blurring unless I hold the evf of centre ie at differing angles ,

paul cool's gear list:paul cool's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
taius Regular Member • Posts: 213

Thanks to Paul for confirming there is no problem with the EVF! As was stated in this review...

"As the EVF is reading the same signal from the image sensor as the rear LCD screen, it can also display similar information - for example, you can view and operate the GH3's Quick Menu, giving quick access to all the key camera settings while it's held up to your eye. The icing on the viewing cake is the clever built-in eye sensor, which automatically switches on the viewfinder when you look into it, then switches it off and turns on the LCD monitor when you look away. The electronic viewfinder on the GH3 is the equal of and in many areas better than a DSLR's optical viewfinder, particularly those found on entry-level models which are typically dim and offer limited scene coverage. The truest testament to the GH3 is that we mostly used it by holding it up to eye-level, something that we wouldn't do unless the EVF was of sufficient quality."

chasfox Contributing Member • Posts: 518

If there is a problem with the GH3 EVF then it will be in the design of the eyepiece lens that you look through not the actual EVF panel.

I seem top recall that the Olympus e30 OVF had a similar problem compared to say the E3 OVF as a result of Olympus trying to cut weight and cost from the OVF optics.

The real test will be how the GH3 EVF works with glasses on. This is a strong feature of the GH2 EVF which for me has a good eye relielf and clear edge to edge view with glasses on.

chasfox's gear list:chasfox's gear list
Olympus E-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
John Dyke Regular Member • Posts: 184

First, let me say that Ian is NOT a troll.

I handled a GH3 a few days ago and the very first thing that hapened was that I had a problem with the EVF. My first reaction was that someone had been playing around with the diopter wheel but after setting this to my own eye, I still found the EVF to be uncomfortable. Uncomfortable seems the best word to describe it.

The camera I tried was a Panasonic demo kit model...came with the new lenses, the microphone etc.  so perhaps was not a true production model: perhaps the problem has been solved for the model that will soon be on the shelves.

Apart from my discomfort with the EVF, I thought the GH3 was ergonomically superb and and My God! did those new lenses focus fast! Instantaneous might be a better word.

I should add that I have a patchy macular degeneration problem which may have exagerated my troubles with the EVF but Ian is right...there is somethinghere which is very different from the GH2 and G5 viewfinders.      JD

John Dyke's gear list:John Dyke's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
halfmac
halfmac Contributing Member • Posts: 998

I just got my GH3 and the OLED viewfinder has the opposite effect, a really jaggy image on a still image.  The back OLED looks fine.  Gets better when I pan.  When it comes into focus, the OLED looks like an old color viewfinder from one on my early digital video cameras.  Real bitty and jaggy.  This quite a step backwards from my GH2.  Anyone else seeing this problem?  I saw GH3 at a trade show a few weeks back and it seemed fine.

-- hide signature --

Alan - http://frugalfilmmakers.com/
E-M5 2xGH2 G Vario 7-14 X Vario 12-35 G 14 G Vario 14-140 Leica DG 25 Oly 45 G Vario 45-200 G Vario 100-300

halfmac's gear list:halfmac's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +12 more
Perfect EVF

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

Got my gh3 on Wednesday. The EVF is fantastic and better than my gh2 . After all the bad press it was getting on the forum, when I got the camera, I tried to hold it in lots of positions to see if I could see any smearing or fuzzy edges, but at any angle the image is sharp and clear and bright from one edge to the other. Sorry to hear your problem. If you are unhappy with it, I would definitely send it back, why settle for a problem right off the bat with such an expensive camera. Or, if it is an issue which crops up based on the persons eyesight or if they wear glasses, if you get a new one, you will find out. Just a suggestion.

amtberg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,726
Re: Perfect EVF

taius wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

Ian

Got my gh3 on Wednesday. The EVF is fantastic and better than my gh2 . After all the bad press it was getting on the forum, when I got the camera, I tried to hold it in lots of positions to see if I could see any smearing or fuzzy edges, but at any angle the image is sharp and clear and bright from one edge to the other. Sorry to hear your problem. If you are unhappy with it, I would definitely send it back, why settle for a problem right off the bat with such an expensive camera. Or, if it is an issue which crops up based on the persons eyesight or if they wear glasses, if you get a new one, you will find out. Just a suggestion.

Curious if you wear glasses? I do and I also have no problem with the GH3 EVF. As compared to the GH2's EVF I would say there are pluses and minuses. On the plus side, the new EVF has much better contrast and much less motion smearing in low light. On the minus side you can see the pixel grid which was not visible with the GH2's EVF.

On the whole I prefer the GH3's EVF for it's better low light performance. Annoyingly, there are some very small dust particles in my new camera's EVF. :-<

The Rear OLED is leagues better than the GH2's LCD both in terms of IQ and touch performance. I always found the GH2's touch screen clumsy to use, but the GH3's is great -- just like an iPhone screen.

Re: Perfect EVF

Curious if you wear glasses? I do and I also have no problem with the GH3 EVF. As compared to the GH2's EVF I would say there are pluses and minuses. On the plus side, the new EVF has much better contrast and much less motion smearing in low light. On the minus side you can see the pixel grid which was not visible with the GH2's EVF.

On the whole I prefer the GH3's EVF for it's better low light performance. Annoyingly, there are some very small dust particles in my new camera's EVF. :-<

The Rear OLED is leagues better than the GH2's LCD both in terms of IQ and touch performance. I always found the GH2's touch screen clumsy to use, but the GH3's is great -- just like an iPhone screen.

Amtberg,

I wear reading glasses at the computer, etc, but I do not wear glasses when I shoot with a camera. I adjusted the EVF for my vision and that was it. As I said, the image is perfect in my GH3 EVF.

I also imagine, that like with any equipment forum, very few people write posts when something is working properly, so any problem reported by a few gets magnified to seem like a grand sweeping issue. If it was me, I would simply return the unit and get a new one. And I would keep doing that until I was satisfied, no point in buying a camera, or computer or whatever and being unhappy with it.

ralphthomas New Member • Posts: 1

I agree with ianbrown.

The EVF of the GH3 is fuzzy towards the edges. Never had that problem with the GH2 (or a Sony a55 and a35, which I owned for a short time). It is like looking through a cheap magnifying glass, sharp in the center, but somewhat off at the sides. Especially if you haven't got it perfectly centered in front of your eye.

I wear strong glasses all the time, but never had a problem like this before. Basically with the GH3 I cannot say for sure, if the focus is where I want it. I have to trust the camera, which I know I can (pictures are absolutely fine so far). The rest of the camera is great, but the EVF givs a bit of an indirect feeling while shooting. For me, anyway.

Ralph

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads