A99 Remote Triggers

Started Nov 25, 2012 | Discussions
jseamless Forum Member • Posts: 50
A99 Remote Triggers

What are the available solutions for controlling Sony Flashes Wl?  Do any of them work with TTL?

Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OldClicker Senior Member • Posts: 2,322
Re: A99 Remote Triggers

jseamless wrote:

What are the available solutions for controlling Sony Flashes Wl? Do any of them work with TTL?

I believe that the only two currently giving full control with Sony are the Pixel King (most camera/flash combinations) and the Phottix Odin.  Search for both in this forum for reports.

-- hide signature --

Some would have you believe that having to adapt to new technology is a workaround, but having adapted to old technology is photography.

OP jseamless Forum Member • Posts: 50

Phottix's response to;  do your triggers work with the A99?

-- hide signature --

The Phottix Odin for Sony is already available.
We haven't tested the Odin for Sony with the A99 as we don't have this camera yet.  We think the Odin for Sony should work with the A99 when used with the Sony-type hot-shoe adapter.  This to be checked soon (sorry, no more specific than that).

Re: A99 Remote Triggers - with TTL

Has anyone used any of the remote triggers with the A99?  Is the TTL and all features working remotely?

Thanks in advance!

mrmjs
mrmjs Contributing Member • Posts: 523

I just bought a set of Odins yesterday for my a77. I asked the salesman if they would work with the a99, he said yes, but that I would need an adaptor... Having said that, I'd want to try before I buy.

-- hide signature --

-Matt

mrmjs's gear list:mrmjs's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +3 more
Timothy S Broadley
Timothy S Broadley Senior Member • Posts: 2,256

mrmjs wrote:

I just bought a set of Odins yesterday for my a77. I asked the salesman if they would work with the a99, he said yes, but that I would need an adaptor... Having said that, I'd want to try before I buy.

-- hide signature --

-Matt

I think what he is referring to is that the Phottix devices are built for the Minolta Ishoe. Therefore, you will need to use the adapter with the Odin or Stratos II in order for it to fit. The adapter comes with the A99.

I have the Stratos and its is on my list to check out; hopefully this weekend.

Tim

John Tait
John Tait Regular Member • Posts: 456

Here's a review of the Odin system used with the a99:

http://www.frankdoorhof.com/site/2013/01/review-phottix-odin-for-sony/

John Tait's gear list:John Tait's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +9 more
Chris Malcolm Senior Member • Posts: 1,998

If you can put up with no TTL, manual only, then pretty much everything works with appropriate shoe adapters or PC connection. And if you're using manual control you can use any old cheap flash which offers manual control.

-- hide signature --

Chris Malcolm

Chris Malcolm's gear list:Chris Malcolm's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +7 more

I was hoping to get some more feedback on personal use.

It would be really cool if they made this adapter work without the Sony legacy mount.

I hear Pixel King makes one as well?

Endos Senior Member • Posts: 1,380

jseamless wrote:

I was hoping to get some more feedback on personal use.

It would be really cool if they made this adapter work without the Sony legacy mount.

I hear Pixel King makes one as well?

I use the Pixel King, in my A900, and it works great. Don't expect to find TTL triggers for the new shoe in some years, as the 99% of Sony cameras use the iISO shoe and no one is going to make a trigger for it. Even Sony has not released its accessories for this shoe. Just live with adapters...

dpyy Contributing Member • Posts: 905

OldClicker wrote:

jseamless wrote:

What are the available solutions for controlling Sony Flashes Wl? Do any of them work with TTL?

I believe that the only two currently giving full control with Sony are the Pixel King (most camera/flash combinations) and the Phottix Odin.  Search for both in this forum for reports.

-- hide signature --

Some would have you believe that having to adapt to new technology is a workaround, but having adapted to old technology is photography.

Which one is better Pixel King or Odin? I'm also shopping for a remote trigger.

Thanks Juan.

Here is the response I just received from Phottix:

Hello, We have a Strato II Multi version for Sony. You will need to use the adapter included with A99.

Looks like Pixel King does not make any that support the A99.

Hopefully, Sony sticks with the current generic hot shoe mount!

dpyy Contributing Member • Posts: 905

jseamless wrote:

Thanks Juan.

Here is the response I just received from Phottix:

Hello, We have a Strato II Multi version for Sony. You will need to use the adapter included with A99.

Looks like Pixel King does not make any that support the A99.

Hopefully, Sony sticks with the current generic hot shoe mount!

Does it mean the Strato II will work fir the A99 including TTL?

It appears to be so Dpyy.

IanML Senior Member • Posts: 1,653

Check this http://www.phottix.com/en/studio-accessories/phottix-strato-ii-multi-571.html

It reads to me that it is not TTL.

Particularly note: "The Sony HVL-F42AM Flash will work on the Strato Transmitter but not on the Strato Receiver as the HVL-F42AM has no Manual Mode, only TTL Mode."  In other words, the flash has to be in manual mode.

-- hide signature --

Ian

IanML's gear list:IanML's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads