An image recovered from the garbage can!

Started Nov 25, 2012 | Discussions
Zablot Contributing Member • Posts: 649
An image recovered from the garbage can!

I took several shots of this damselfly at dusk this Summer and a slight breeze prevented me from slowing down the shutter speed to get an ideal exposure.  Playing around Lightroom 4.2 produced this image.  The background is the pond which was reflecting this pearly white color. Slightly grainy, but not bad and should make a reasonable print. The poor image quality of higher ISO's with the k10d also was another reason for sticking with an ISO of 400. (K10d, 300mm f4 DA*, 24mm extension).  Right now, I hope to replace the k10d with the K5 II as it has a better speed performance and improved image quality.  The lobbying has begun . ..............Jim

Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bjake Regular Member • Posts: 327
Re: An image recovered from the garbage can!

Like the image,good job

OP Zablot Contributing Member • Posts: 649

Hi,

Thank you.  The red and greenish bands (a trademark of underexposed K10d images) are visible in the jpeg version of the file. The tiff version does not have this artifact...................Jim

rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 3,935

Very nice image, well done under the circumstances. The K10D can still deliver in the right hands, and you proved that.

I too waiting to upgrade my K10D. The K5II is really tempting, but I'll wait to see what's next before I do. That will possibly be my last DSLR ever, so I want as little compromises as possible. I am hoping for 24MPix APS-C w/o AA filter and optimized Matrix to eliminate moire (i.e. use the same "pseudo-random" matrix as Fuji X-E1).

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +18 more

"I am hoping for 24MPix APS-C w/o AA filter and optimized Matrix to eliminate moire (i.e. use the same "pseudo-random" matrix as Fuji X-E1)."--That is very tempting.  I got a lot of use out of the K10d and it is a fairly slow camera in terms of autofocus and ISO's.  I use mine for wildlife photography and it has been a difficult camera for bird photography--way too slow.   Animals rarely present themselves under perfect lighting . When I do get a descent shot--I am quite satisfied with the image quality. Great camera for botanical shots too. The K5 II with 7 exposures per second and very good image quality at ISO=800 should do the trick for me.  I'd like to try the K5  IIs, but the differences between the two new versions of the K5 are very slight...............................Jim

gooseta
gooseta Contributing Member • Posts: 707

good recovery, are the highlights completely blown also now is the time to pull the trigger on a new k5ii, personally i recommend the iis because its only $20 more right now!

-- hide signature --

Angad S. aka gooseta
Amateur photographer
NEW SITE : angadsrin.zenfolio.com

gooseta's gear list:gooseta's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +1 more

Hi,

Thank you for the comments. Luckily, it is a high key image with very little data on the dark end of the histogram so clipping was very slight on the darks.  The price of the k5 II looks good, but I have to wait for now..............................Jim

noel2 Contributing Member • Posts: 768

Zablot wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for the comments. Luckily, it is a high key image with very little data on the dark end of the histogram so clipping was very slight on the darks. The price of the k5 II looks good, but I have to wait for now..............................Jim

If you want to remain with an APS-C, the K5 (or K5II) is just about as good as you can get. The next step will be a camera with a FF sensor where the larger pixels will appreciably enable better image quality regarding sensitivity and noise. I am also waiting (I have a K5) - but for a FF sensor...

noel2's gear list:noel2's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Sony Alpha a7 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +23 more
Walt_A Senior Member • Posts: 1,856

That's a more than reasonable shot, but I don't know what it looked like before you started processing.... so can't comment on that part, but I hear that LR 4.x is a great improvement for lifting shadows and recovering highlights (something to do with an improved algorithm). I wouldn't mind seeing the original if possible?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads