Favorite photo editing software, other than LR?

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Questions
njlarsen Regular Member • Posts: 261
Re: Favorite photo editing software, other than LR?

I too am using ACDSee pro (in my case Pro6). Just like LR it is as much an organizer as an Editor, and as LR, ACDSEE will save keywords into the file, writing to both IPTC (for those data you want others to see) and to proprietary fields. Some of the latest improvements in LR has existed in ACDSee for a while.

Biggest drawback with ACDSee is that lens correction is not automatic. With the 14-42 and 100-300 I use the most, that miss is not a big deal for me. Not having to "import" and "export" pictures (as LR would have forced me to) IS a big deal!

Niels

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,178
Catpture One Pro 4

New version makes the OMD sing!  Neck and neck with Lightroom now.

Mike Dobbs Senior Member • Posts: 1,089

I did some browsing and came across this thread on using plugins with PSP:

http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=45192

Basically, it depends on what you define "plugin" as.

I also came across a post on this site (sorry, lost link) where someone reported that NIK support told him the plugin for PSP was a special version, not compatible with other apps and likewise their "normal" versions will not work in PSP.

I might take the suggestion to try the free Silver Efex DL and see what it does in PSP.

THX.

gear1box Senior Member • Posts: 1,513

I am lazy and want the work with a minimum of my involvement.

DXO, and its preset capabilities, has been my answer:  the lens/sensor data base, HDR handling, and copious tools for most all "global" image processing works well for me.  Who cares that it takes a minute or two a picture to process?  Tag a dozen or so for processing and go watch the Simpsons.

-- hide signature --

gary ray

--
Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Nikon D810 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +9 more
mapgraphs
mapgraphs Senior Member • Posts: 1,093
Re: Definitely try the free trial

Mike Dobbs wrote:

I also came across a post on this site (sorry, lost link) where someone reported that NIK support told him the plugin for PSP was a special version, not compatible with other apps and likewise their "normal" versions will not work in PSP.

I might take the suggestion to try the free Silver Efex DL and see what it does in PSP.

THX.

I Started with PSP 1 (and probably still have the diskette) and have used plugins since they were added to the PSP workflow. It's been a while since I've added and used plug-ins either in PSP or PS though. I went through a plug-in phase but rarely use any now.

However, I do recall installation issues with some, not installing to the default PSP plug-in directory. In some cases it was a matter of manually moving the files to the proper location. There are some .8bf that make calls to other files and act as stand-alone utilities but as long as the base file is built to the plug-in standard and it is in the correct folder, it will work.

PSP & Nik Silver Efex 2.0 Plugin

mapgraphs wrote:

Mike Dobbs wrote:

THX.

I Started with PSP 1 (and probably still have the diskette) and have used plugins since they were added to the PSP workflow. It's been a while since I've added and used plug-ins either in PSP or PS though. I went through a plug-in phase but rarely use any now.

However, I do recall installation issues with some, not installing to the default PSP plug-in directory. In some cases it was a matter of manually moving the files to the proper location. There are some .8bf that make calls to other files and act as stand-alone utilities but as long as the base file is built to the plug-in standard and it is in the correct folder, it will work.

Well, results of trying to use Nik Silver Efex 2.0 from PSP X5 in Windows 7....I see the plugin in the psp list & can launch the plugin from PSP...but all I seem to get is a black Nik screen. Curiously, mousing around the blackness I get tool tips popping up. Just no actualy buttons/menus or image on screen. Fumbling onto the Exit without applying settings area...get me back into PSP on the image I started from.

Guess it's a no go unless there are suggestions from the forum?

Desert Cruiser
Desert Cruiser Regular Member • Posts: 398

Mike Dobbs wrote:

THX.

Mike:  If you have problems installing a plug-in in PSP X5 let me know. As for Silver Efex, have you ever tried Topaz Labs B&W filter plug-in. It's about $60 cheaper and works great. If you like plug-ins (we do) then here's a page with a few that we work with all the time.

http://www.in-the-desert.com/topazlabs.html

Someone else mentioned that Topaz Labs Remask didn't work with PSP. This was true on their version X3, now in X5 and in Windows 7 it works great.

Don....

-- hide signature --

http://www.in-the-desert.com/
"A picture is worth a thousand words"
"Some pictures leave you speechless"

Desert Cruiser's gear list:Desert Cruiser's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony SLT-A58 Pentax K-500
Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,003

Oh, should also have said, of the free Photo editors (rather than raw processors) I think Pixbuilder Studio (http://download.cnet.com/PixBuilder-Studio/3000-2192_4-74096.html) is miles ahead of all the others. It's not that well-known, but I ran through about 20 of the free ones and it is comfortably the best, IMHO. (I used a CNET download link so people can be confident there is nothing iffy, BTW they rated it as "Spectacular".)

John

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +28 more
herebefore
herebefore Veteran Member • Posts: 3,296

lucksp wrote:

What's your photo editing/cataloging software of choice? is LR the "only" choice? I'm not a huge post-prod guy, but the basics are important.

-- hide signature --

I like Lightroom a LOT! In combination with CS5  and Faststone its GREAT but:

Having said that, I dont use it on my less powerful Laptops or on my older, slower desktops.. Since Lightroom 4.# lightroom has run very slowly on weaker systems.

For a less powerful computer (a couple of generations down from the top) I use "After-shot pro" In combination with Paintshop Pro.

At home I store all my raw files on a hard drive attached to my router (and back it up often). That way all my files are available to all my computers.

Surprisingly, Aftershot pro is faster than Lightroom even on the more powerful system that I use most often, but I still prefer Lightroom if I have enough computer to run it smoothly.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

mapgraphs
mapgraphs Senior Member • Posts: 1,093
Re: PSP & Nik Silver Efex 2.0 Plugin

Mike Dobbs wrote:

mapgraphs wrote:

Mike Dobbs wrote:

THX.

Well, results of trying to use Nik Silver Efex 2.0 from PSP X5 in Windows 7....I see the plugin in the psp list & can launch the plugin from PSP...but all I seem to get is a black Nik screen. Curiously, mousing around the blackness I get tool tips popping up. Just no actualy buttons/menus or image on screen. Fumbling onto the Exit without applying settings area...get me back into PSP on the image I started from.

Guess it's a no go unless there are suggestions from the forum?

Doing a Google search on potential compatibility issues between Nik and PSP returned nothing. If you're getting some of the interface (tool tips etc.) then you probably (most likely) have a display driver incompatibility (with the Nik - PSP combination). Anecdotically, it seems that some integrated displays are more likely to cause problems than dedicated display cards.

If you want to experiment, try changing the desktop resolution (up or down) and if Nik still is giving you a black window, try changing the color depth (32bit to 16bit). This is just to identify if it is the display driver causing the problem. If it is the display driver, the options are to update it, if available, work at a different resolution/color depth if not or if the computer has an integrated display, install a dedicated display card such as a nVidia. Graphics software and display driver incompatibilities are not uncommon but they are not fun trying to troubleshoot.

dgnelson Contributing Member • Posts: 927
Snapseed on the iPad

I hope nobody's laughing.

Dan

Re: PSP & Nik Silver Efex 2.0 Plugin

Thanks for these suggestions. I just tried it from my laptop...and I had already done the "Check for new drivers" thing in the video adaptor control panel...nothing came up. I'm not sure exactly what chip is in this laptop. I have an external display I usually run at home office...and even use a usb docking stations to frive it...which has it's own video chip in the dock. I'll give that try later.

If it fails...I do plan to upgrade the pc entirely in a few months (April-ish) so I will be sure to take these tips into account.

I'll look into Topaz...cheers.

dko22 Contributing Member • Posts: 879
Re: Silkypix, PaintShop Pro, FastStone

Guy Parsons wrote:

Lightroom appears to be the standard for now, but for me too expensive and the relentless and "compulsory" updating by Adobe makes it an expensive product to own over the years.

Only a milli-whisker in output quality behind LR is Silkypix Pro 5 for RAW conversion or for jpeg fiddling. It is expensive but paid updates happen way less often. Always busy adding new cameras in the very frequent minor free updates.

For industrial grade jpeg/tiff fiddling, layers etc then hard to beat PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate, particularly as the Black Friday price of $29.99 for an update works out it was a full version.

Though for many quick simple fiddles I find FastStone Viewer hard to beat. I did pay the suggested donation as it is such good value.

I use FastStone to load all images into auto day dated folders and then add some text to the folder name. I'm wary of any database way of holding keywords etc as I have been burnt before losing lots of input. I just make things easy to find via folder dates and names plus reference to trip diaries.

Use whichever tool works for whatever job.

Regards....... Guy

lucksp wrote:

What's your photo editing/cataloging software of choice? is LR the "only" choice? I'm not a huge post-prod guy, but the basics are important.

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Silkypix but it's really in v5 that it comes into its own, producing arguably the best default rendering. However it is very expensive, even for upgraders, compared to Lightroom -- almost twice the price for a v3 upgrade and is not quite on a par with LR in highlight recovery or fringing for instance and of course has none of the cataloguing features.

dko22's gear list:dko22's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +4 more
efontu Regular Member • Posts: 116
Re: Snapseed on the iPad

Can someone please explain why Olympus Viewer 2 is not mentioned? It is a raw file processor, editor, viewer and its free. Is it that bad?

efontu's gear list:efontu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
Thorgrem Contributing Member • Posts: 554
Aperture

I also use Aperture 3. I like it very much and it runs smooth on my Mac.

Thorgrem's gear list:Thorgrem's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more

Ok...confirmed Topaz B&W filtering works well with PSP X5. Some neat stuff in there...but it's pricey. I'm sure I'll like the other pords on the Topaz site as well...so I'll be looking at quite a steep spend amount to get a few I like...more than PSP X5 & ASP. Seems strange to pure more into plugins than into the other apps being used to run them...I guess these prince points are aimed at the more well-heeled PS & CS users

amatoer Regular Member • Posts: 118
Olympus Viewer 2

efontu wrote:

Can someone please explain why Olympus Viewer 2 is not mentioned? It is a raw file processor, editor, viewer and its free. Is it that bad?

Desert Cruiser
Desert Cruiser Regular Member • Posts: 398

Mike Dobbs wrote:

Ok...confirmed Topaz B&W filtering works well with PSP X5. Some neat stuff in there...but it's pricey. I'm sure I'll like the other pords on the Topaz site as well...so I'll be looking at quite a steep spend amount to get a few I like...more than PSP X5 & ASP. Seems strange to pure more into plugins than into the other apps being used to run them...I guess these prince points are aimed at the more well-heeled PS & CS users

Mike:  The one plug-in I really like and it's also the one that sells the best for them is Adjust 5 For what it does $50 is reasonable, or at least I think it is. You can always try their trial versions first and see what you think. HERE is our review of them, maybe I already gave you this. There is one other thing your should know -- Both Corel and Topaz put out updates that are free, so sign up for their news letter. The PaintShop Pro X 5 already has a Service Pack 1 available and to find it open the program click on Help at the top and you'll see where to check for updates.

Don...

-- hide signature --

http://www.in-the-desert.com/
"A picture is worth a thousand words"
"Some pictures leave you speechless"

Desert Cruiser's gear list:Desert Cruiser's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony SLT-A58 Pentax K-500
MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 2,285

Maybe not a favorite, but now and then I use DxO 7 Pro as a complement to LR4. DxO is a god RAW converter but it is tricky to use, in spite of that it's much more automatized than LR. Sometimes when I get stuck in LR I try DxO instead but it usually ends up in going back to LR4 again. But there are situations when DxO is useful. It has a nice "one-shot-HDR" preset which gives a good result if you like to play with that kind, and, most useful to me, it has more powwerful tools for geometrical corrections than LR4. Good for architecture.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads