Sony's lens Roadmap - Only map, no road?

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Discussions
OP tsk1979 Senior Member • Posts: 1,160
Do not forget the price too!

Actually, I was also wondering from a beginner POV.

For example, 18-200 zooms cost around 300-400$ on alpha, however E mount pricing is 900$.

Is the lens really twice as good? The tests for MTF/CA do not seem to suggest that.

Unlike other systems, there is no much available on sony, and even for a small set you have to break the bank.

For example. I can get an Alpha + 18-200 for less price than the sony 18-200., and MTF and CA figures for alpha 18-200 and the SEL 18200 are very similar.

That is why I feel, that NEX system is usefull only from a compactness POV!

-- hide signature --

Tanveer
My galleries - http://tanveer.smugmug.com,
My photography page on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TanveersPhotography

tsk1979's gear list:tsk1979's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha a7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +5 more
spacemn Senior Member • Posts: 1,718
Re: Sony's lens Roadmap - Only map, no road?

TiagoReil wrote:

spacemn wrote:

@TiagoReil - thanks for posting the roadmap. When you talk about premium lenses, what do you mean then? Are you missing more expensive lenses or are you missing weather sealed ones? The 24, new 35 and 50 can most likely satisfy most professionals. The OSS on the 35 and 50 performs handheld like a f1 but lack the ultra shallow DOF of such lens, on the other hand they AF faster and are much more compact then what a f1 lense would have been.

I only informed people whats going on and what to expect. I'm not making a judgement, or complaining anything (I don't think I did, maybe only on the 2 repeated zooms), I only tried to state facts, so people don't have unrealistic expectations (like G primes for instance), and know what to expect, and when to expect it.

As a matter of fact, I don't miss expensive lenses, I cant afford expensive lenses, I only want a tele lens for portraits. I have the LEAE2 and 2 long lenses for that (a sigma 70mm macro 2.8 and the sony 85mm 2.8) but I would love something smaller amd lighter that that package (and faster!!!). that's why I would love to have one. Specially if it is faster. A 70mm f2 would be ideal for me. But this is my preference, and I know not everybody needs that. I'm very curious of what the tele will be, and what will be available in 2014.

Okay, I understand your point better now. You should really try getting a lens that would make you NEX compact as well, so that you can have a take-it-everywhere alternative. That is an aspect of the NEX that really makes it shine comparedh to DSLR's. The 35mm is looking like a must have for evey NEX owner, even though it is not cheap.

Legacy is also a nice road and many times a compact road to take. I am currently enjoying my dad's old Hexanon AR lenses on my NEX.

Donkey914 Forum Member • Posts: 59
Re: Do not forget the price too!

tsk1979 wrote:

For example, 18-200 zooms cost around 300-400$ on alpha, however E mount pricing is 900$.

Is the lens really twice as good? The tests for MTF/CA do not seem to suggest that.

Unlike other systems, there is no much available on sony, and even for a small set you have to break the bank.

For example. I can get an Alpha + 18-200 for less price than the sony 18-200., and MTF and CA figures for alpha 18-200 and the SEL 18200 are very similar.

-- hide signature --

Tanveer

Adding IS tends to double the cost of any lenses.

Makes me wonder why Sony didn't go for IBIS, like they do for their DSLRs. Size probably isn't it - Olympus is able to include it in its compact PEN cameras.

spacemn Senior Member • Posts: 1,718
Re: Do not forget the price too!

tsk1979 wrote:

Compactness is a BIG deal IMO. It is a personal preference though. Go to Steve Huff's page and see some arguments there on why compactness is king.

Then you have all the legacy lenses that you can adapt. That is a BIG deal. Again, it is a personal preference.

This system is only 2.5 years old, and 11 lenses is okay. By next year that number is 15 native lenses. Then there are lenses from Sigma and Tamron and the system is also getting the three Zeiss lenses.

Only the m43 system has got much more lenses (talking mirrorless ecosystems), but here you have "duplicates" or overlapping lenses from Pana and Oly as well. Here the NEX has got the Zeiss 24mm and the m43 user will struggle to find a good alternative to this lens. The new 17/1.8 is reportedly rather mediocre and expensive.

Nice landscape photos you have got on your site by the way By the looks of it you should be all over the moon about the Sigma 19mm, SEL1018/4 or the upcoming Zeiss 12mm. Even the 16mm (stopped down perhaps) can make really good landscape shots.

OP tsk1979 Senior Member • Posts: 1,160
Thanks!

Thanks for your complement.

Yes compactness is a big deal no doubt.

I actually own a D7000 also, and when on travel I often carry that.

However, my dream is to have a reasonably compact 16-100 kind of lens, partially collapsible(not fully to pancake, but to 18-55 size).

Then I can sell of my Nikon 16-85 and use the NEX as my walkabout lens.

you are right about the adapter bit. I am hoping for a price drop on the LA-EA2 to about 200$. Will allow me some experimentation, and better video shooting.

That said, I wish, at the 900$ price point, the sony 18-200 had a better image quality.

If sony gets a 18-125 kind of lens, even then it would be good, but size should be slightly smaller than the 18-200.

If 16-50 can be made collapsible, then I presume 18-125 kind of lens can be made partially collapsible.

Anyways my next lens target is whatever sony comes out with in 2013, and I am also looking at selling my Samyang 8mm(F3.5)(Nikon mount), and getting the Samyang 8mm (2.8) as I do wide field astrophotography, and the brighter the better. 1 stop is a big deal for me.

-- hide signature --

Tanveer

tsk1979's gear list:tsk1979's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha a7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +5 more
sjredo Regular Member • Posts: 369
Re: Thanks!

I hope 85mm is not 2.8... too slow

More like f2 or 1.8 would be plain awesome.

I really wouldn't mind if it were just a little bigger than SEL50.

sjredo's gear list:sjredo's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Daniel0140
Daniel0140 Junior Member • Posts: 29

If the 85mm is a fast lens, that would be great. With a lens set of 19mm, 35mm OSS, and 85mm, with the 16-50 for backpacking, I would be quite happy

blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,470

tsk1979 wrote:

Thanks for your complement.

Yes compactness is a big deal no doubt.

I actually own a D7000 also, and when on travel I often carry that.

However, my dream is to have a reasonably compact 16-100 kind of lens, partially collapsible(not fully to pancake, but to 18-55 size).

Did you consider the RX-100 ?

Then I can sell of my Nikon 16-85 and use the NEX as my walkabout lens.

you are right about the adapter bit. I am hoping for a price drop on the LA-EA2 to about 200$. Will allow me some experimentation, and better video shooting.

If you use a video tripod or IS lens.

That said, I wish, at the 900$ price point, the sony 18-200 had a better image quality.

It is an impressive lens, just a bit too slow for all around usage.

If sony gets a 18-125 kind of lens, even then it would be good, but size should be slightly smaller than the 18-200.

If 16-50 can be made collapsible, then I presume 18-125 kind of lens can be made partially collapsible.

The 18200 is already collapsible. Extended, it is about 20cm, collapsed, about 12cm.

A 18125 lens would extend to about 12cm and collapse to about 7cm.

The 1650 extends to about 5cm and collapses to 3cm.

The 1855 is about 5.5cm fixed.

The RX-100 collapses even further (three sections) enabled by a smaller & lighter design.

Anyways my next lens target is whatever sony comes out with in 2013, and I am also looking at selling my Samyang 8mm(F3.5)(Nikon mount), and getting the Samyang 8mm (2.8) as I do wide field astrophotography, and the brighter the better. 1 stop is a big deal for me.

-- hide signature --

Tanveer

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II +36 more
jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,412
Tiago: no G-class, constant aperture zoom anywhere in sight :(

TiagoReil wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

so, altogether five short[ish] primes of [expected] reasonable quality: 12/2.8, 24/1.8, 32/1.8, 50/1.8 & 50/2.8 macro ? so...

• ​WHERE are G-class zooms ???
  • WHERE are G-class longer primes?

on a side note, it would be nice to have the new Sigma 35/1.4 AF in E-mount too

are we to treat the so called "Sony's lens road-map" as cast into stone and handled down to Moses? If so, then indeed my questions are pretty blasphemous  . However, all I'm saying is that the stunningly excellent APS-C sensors from S. deserve the best possible lenses - matching the sensors with their optically corrected IQ of a highest mark (so, no cheating with in-camera FW corrections, no cutting corners, just undiluted IQ).

So... yes, I'm aware that one can't have both: ​cheap, compact & low weight​ at the same time as ​with stunning IQ ​ - and I'm voting for a highest optical IQ, shunning smallness for just a smallness sake .

There are plethora of fantastic IQ, III-rd party, lenses mountable on NEX'es already, some of them I do have in my bag. However, Neither those, nor the already released ones from the list above (the 24/1.8 or 50/1.8) do not give me both: fantastic IQ together with blazingly fast AF for a quickly unfolding action shooting & tracing, and without resorting to a kludge of a SLT adapter. Which is all I'm craving for - is this really that very much offensive to ask S. to deliver them much, much sooner than in 2015 or later???

jpr2

NEXFULLFRAME Regular Member • Posts: 283
Re: Tiago: no G-class, constant aperture zoom anywhere in sight :(

Stunning IQ comes from Zeiss and Leica and some of the Voigtlander lineup. SONY are focused on more middle market issues, like OSS and AF and economical build quality for their lenses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads