7D owners did you consider Sony SLT-A77

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Discussions
hehateme Junior Member • Posts: 47
7D owners did you consider Sony SLT-A77

I have narrowed down my list of cameras to canon 7d with canon 15-85 lens

or

Sony SLT-A77 with 16-50 lens

this will be my first DSLR.

i will use it for taking pictures of my young kids at home, their activities, travel pictures as we plan to take international trips. still picture quality is my higher priority but I am hoping to skip carrying a camcorder to my trips and be able to use the DSLR for short videos. At home I will still use a camcorder.

Thanks for your insights.

hehateme's gear list:hehateme's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Karl Gnter Wnsch Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408
Only in nightmares...

hehateme wrote:

or

The latter isn't a proper DSLR, it doesn't have a viewfinder as far as I am concerned (using EVF do give me splitting headaches to the extent of triggering a migraine). So the A77 wouldn't ever feature on my list of cameras, not now, not ever!

but I am hoping to skip carrying a camcorder to my trips and be able to use the DSLR for short videos.

That won't work because for casual travel video you won't have a working autofocus - not on the 7D (because it doesn't have a working autofocus during video recording and neither on the A77 because on that you can only ever shoot your lens wide open if you want to use the AF (the required mode fixes the aperture at f/3.5 or the widest aperture of the lens, whichever of the two is slower) - which is totally inadequate on most situations!

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Additional concerns on the A77...

hehateme wrote:

or

You neet to consider the viewfinder the weakest point of the Sony SLT - it'a an OLED, this means any inkling of color fidelity will be gone in a year or two because the blue color dye used deteriorates quite a lot faster than the other dyes. Then there is the lag of such a viewfinder. Then the A77 only manages to produce a usable viewfinder image at speeds up to 3 fps, in the two faster modes the viewfinder is incapable of showing a live view, the only thing you get is the last or second last picture shown - so in terms of the viewfinder the camera is only usable up to 550D speeds. Then there is the inability of the SLT to focus in the fastest drive mode unless you resort to using either manual focus or using a hapless (incompetently implemented) full automatic mode which will fix your aperture again at f/3.5 or the lens widest aperture, whatever is worse...

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Frederik Paul Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: 7D owners did you consider Sony SLT-A77

Speed (SD cards only), VF lag at 12/8fps and way too much noise (even the 7D has too much for my taste) make the Alpha 77 a no go. Besides that it's a very good camera, but still no match to a real SLR.

d3xmeister Senior Member • Posts: 2,660

I use Nikon, but played a few times with the 7D and the A77. My advice to yo is: STAY AWAY FROM THE A77. It's the most sluggish camera I have ever used. It feels like a computer from 1987. Every command response is delayed, viefinder is delayed. It will drive you crazy, I don't know why people buy this. Get the 7D, it's  a excellent, proper camera.

peter_jp Contributing Member • Posts: 830

I own an A77. You will most certainly get AF during video. Thre oled viewfinder has been a topic for heated discussions from the start. It will provide direct and visual feedback on any changes you make to your settings; aperture, white-balance, exposure compensation. For a first DSLR (although strictly speaking the A77 is not a DSLR) that might not be a bad thing. In action shots and such I have found it to be lacking. I do lot of bird photography and especially for birds in flight the response of the EVF is too slow. I have since bought a Canon 40D (and borrowed a 7D on several occasions) and they are much better at that.

As has been mentioned response of the dials was quite sluggish, but firmware updates have improved that considerably. High iso shots may not be its strongest point, I agree, but other that that it delivers pictures with great detail. For my type of shooting it is not the right camera, but I do not think it is bad camera. No harm in taking a look and weigh the pros and cons for what you want to shoot with it.

Peter

Fred Boettcher New Member • Posts: 1

hehateme wrote:

or

i will use it for taking pictures of my young kids at home, their activities, travel pictures as we plan to take international trips. still picture quality is my higher priority but I am hoping to skip carrying a camcorder to my trips and be able to use the DSLR for short videos. At home I will still use a camcorder.

The Best thing you can do is find a local store that has these cameras and get some hands on time with them. Rent one for the day if you can. You find that specs sheets mean nothing once you have the camera in hand. Hold it and see how it feels in your hand after 20 min. shoot in low light, good light, bright light, bad light, shoot movies in all conditions. Take your own cards with you so you can take home everything you shot for review. play with menus and all that. You can not beat hands on time with it to see if you like it.

My opinion is I'm sold on the 7D. After hands on time with it and the 5D MII, I like the 7D better it's easier to use. While shooting a tv show for Nat Geo, I found out all that is used is 5d or 7d with some nikon thrown in once in a while. They do use sony HD video cameras at 20k a pop. Hope that helps.

paulbysea Contributing Member • Posts: 526

Never considered a Sony.

Did briefly consider a Nikon, but ergonomics prevailed and I went for Canon.

paulbysea's gear list:paulbysea's gear list
Pentax Optio W80 Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
3up1down
3up1down Forum Member • Posts: 92

If you have no prior experience with DSLRs the 7D or A77 can be complex cameras for a beginner to set-up and use.  You can grow with the cameras by applying yourself to the task but be warned the learning curve is a little steep.  Another poster advised handling both cameras before buying, thats good if you can find both in a store.  Sony cameras have Electronic Viewfinders while Canons have what I call a normal viewfinder.  There is a big difference between the two.  I own and use Canons (7D and a 50D), in the past I used Nikon D1X and D2X, also used the Sony A700.  One thing that Canon has that Sony doesn't is a legacy/experience that goes back years, Sony is a johnny-come-lately.  If things don't work out for Sony they will bail in a heart-beat, Canon is in for the long haul.  Good luck with your decision.

3up1down's gear list:3up1down's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
hpeter Regular Member • Posts: 253
Re: Only in nightmares...

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

hehateme wrote:

or

The latter isn't a proper DSLR, it doesn't have a viewfinder as far as I am concerned (using EVF do give me splitting headaches to the extent of triggering a migraine). So the A77 wouldn't ever feature on my list of cameras, not now, not ever!

Dear Karl,

I'm shooting with Sony a57 and I don't have headaches. I enjoy the EVF of this wonderful camera, it helps me a lot to determine white-balance and exposure BEFORE I take the picture, and now I never want to look back to my previous OVF camera. I'm sorry that EVF gives you headaches...

but I am hoping to skip carrying a camcorder to my trips and be able to use the DSLR for short videos.

That won't work because for casual travel video you won't have a working autofocus - not on the 7D (because it doesn't have a working autofocus during video recording and neither on the A77 because on that you can only ever shoot your lens wide open if you want to use the AF (the required mode fixes the aperture at f/3.5 or the widest aperture of the lens, whichever of the two is slower) - which is totally inadequate on most situations

I went to Sea World at Orlando and got EXCELLENT, high quality videos with continuous AF. I amazed some of my friends who shoot with their Nikon D800 that can't autofocus during video. YES, you can have beautiful videos with continuous AF for vacation. I even had a great footage of a wedding last week.

So if I enjoy the a57 so much, the a77 could be even better in many ways.

hpeter Regular Member • Posts: 253
Re: Additional concerns on the A77...

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

hehateme wrote:

or

You neet to consider the viewfinder the weakest point of the Sony SLT - it'a an OLED, this means any inkling of color fidelity will be gone in a year or two because the blue color dye used deteriorates quite a lot faster than the other dyes.

Dear Karl,

The above is vital information for ANY person who considers buying the Sony A77. Could you show us where did you get this information from? This needs to be verified from multiple angles, because if it's true, Sony is making a camera that's bound to be a piece of garbage in a year or two...

Then there is the lag of such a viewfinder. Then the A77 only manages to produce a usable viewfinder image at speeds up to 3 fps, in the two faster modes the viewfinder is incapable of showing a live view, the only thing you get is the last or second last picture shown - so in terms of the viewfinder the camera is only usable up to 550D speeds. Then there is the inability of the SLT to focus in the fastest drive mode unless you resort to using either manual focus or using a hapless (incompetently implemented) full automatic mode which will fix your aperture again at f/3.5 or the lens widest aperture, whatever is worse...

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

That would be your OPINION, and you are entitled to have it. There are happy A77 shooters who are shooting at high speeds. Please don't call this feature "Hapless (incompetently implemented". You can say you don't like it and will never work for you, but it works for others.

hpeter wrote:

I'm shooting with Sony a57 and I don't have headaches. I enjoy the EVF of this wonderful camera, it helps me a lot to determine white-balance and exposure BEFORE I take the picture,

Enjoy it while it lasts, the EVF will lose much of it's brightness and more importantly the color fidelity it now still enjoys by same time next year...

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Canon EOS 7D Mark II

hpeter wrote:

The above is vital information for ANY person who considers buying the Sony A77. Could you show us where did you get this information from? This needs to be verified from multiple angles, because if it's true, Sony is making a camera that's bound to be a piece of garbage in a year or two...

Well it's a matter of fact that there still isn't a blue light emitting organic dye that not has a significant shorter life cycle. Finding such a dye still is the holy grail of OLED - and nobody yet has touted his horn of doing so, it would be a nobel prize worthy achievement... Looking at the OLED from my one year old smartphone is already showing a strong yellow cast...

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Canon EOS 7D Mark II
TDR1 Contributing Member • Posts: 540

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Well it's a matter of fact that there still isn't a blue light emitting organic dye that not has a significant shorter life cycle. Finding such a dye still is the holy grail of OLED - and nobody yet has touted his horn of doing so, it would be a nobel prize worthy achievement... Looking at the OLED from my one year old smartphone is already showing a strong yellow cast...

This is interesting. I've noticed on many occasions that older screens have a yellow cast but always assumed that I was just comparing it to newer, better quality displays. I shall have to read up on this.

-- hide signature --
BryMills Regular Member • Posts: 173

Assuming that you'll be buying more lenses in the future, then ask yourself which system has the range of lenses to suit what you want to do. If you don't want to buy more lenses then ask yourself why you're buying an interchangeable lens camera.

The 7D with 15-85 is nice combo.

BryMills's gear list:BryMills's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III

TDR1 wrote:

This is interesting. I've noticed on many occasions that older screens have a yellow cast but always assumed that I was just comparing it to newer, better quality displays. I shall have to read up on this.

OLED is an interesting technique but IMHO it's not yet there to be used in anything that will be used longer than a year or two. In a smartphone you can get away with it as they are usually sold in contracts that last for two years - so they get replaced about in time... On a DSLT which has a longer life it's the wrong technology, especially as it will have a profound effect on the resale value...

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,812

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

hehateme wrote:

or

Karl thanks, you made my day, I dislike EVF's just as much as you do (we could argue about whom dislikes them the most). I am just an amteur having some fun, but nice to see a pro sharing the same opinion.

Maybe the Fuji X100 is an exception, you can choose between OVF and EVF.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha a7 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,329

hehateme wrote:

or

You've had several good answers regarding the A77.

So to the 7D. I have one, but nothing in your stated requirements would justify a 7D over a 60D which will give you exactly the same image quality. And the 60D actually has slightly better video (it's a newer model). And it has an articulating screen which is great for video and also for macro. And it's smaller and lighter - good for travel. And it's available at bargain prices. That would be my suggestion - 60D plus 15-85.

Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,812

Steve Balcombe wrote:

hehateme wrote:

or

You've had several good answers regarding the A77.

So to the 7D. I have one, but nothing in your stated requirements would justify a 7D over a 60D which will give you exactly the same image quality. And the 60D actually has slightly better video (it's a newer model). And it has an articulating screen which is great for video and also for macro. And it's smaller and lighter - good for travel. And it's available at bargain prices. That would be my suggestion - 60D plus 15-85.

I agree the 60D is a lot of camera for the money. I got the 7D with 15-85 (already had that) and it's very very nice. Both cameras I have been testing (in the flesh) and liked both. I ended up with the 7D because of a discount and cashback (€50:€100), but for my average shooting a 60D would be good enough. For video (60:40 or so) I believe the 60D is the way to go. I must admit that the VF and AF put a grin on my face every time I use the 7D, do I need it...not really...does it make me happy...yes!

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha a7 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Robert J. Gonzalez Senior Member • Posts: 1,173

NO.

Robert J. Gonzalez's gear list:Robert J. Gonzalez's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 50D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads