long exposure Nex 6/7

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Questions
mgerpe
mgerpe Regular Member • Posts: 242
long exposure Nex 6/7

New to the Nex group but thinking about getting my dad the Nex 6 or 7, few quick questions, appreciate the help.

1.) Can you do long exposures 1- 30 mins without touching the camera? (worried about movement) Doesnt look like there is a cord option? phone? remote? how do you set up a 20 min shot on a tripod without touching the camera?

2.) interchangeable batteries, does only the 7 have these? this might be a deal breaking for long trips.

3.) Has anyone used the 6/7 with the Nikon 16-35 F4? was thinking it would be a nice WA lens for landscape with MF + peaking.

4.) Can any other buttons on the 6 be programed for exposure compensation or AEL/AF lock? any difference with the 7? From what ive read the real dial doesnt do anything in Av mode? weird..

appreciate the help,

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
KBKB Senior Member • Posts: 2,904
Re: long exposure Nex 6/7

mgerpe wrote:

1.) Can you do long exposures 1- 30 mins without touching the camera? (worried about movement) Doesnt look like there is a cord option? phone? remote? how do you set up a 20 min shot on a tripod without touching the camera?

I've verified that this works on my NEX-7...

Put the camera in manual mode, set the shutter speed to "Bulb" and set the drive mode to "Remote".  Pressing the shutter release button once on an IR remote will open the shutter.  Pressing it again will close it.  You won't need to touch the camera at all while the shutter is open.

KBKB's gear list:KBKB's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R II Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 29,429

1.) Can you do long exposures 1- 30 mins without touching the camera? (worried about movement) Doesnt look like there is a cord option? phone? remote? how do you set up a 20 min shot on a tripod without touching the camera?

Yep - as mentioned above, all you need is to enter 'bulb' mode by dialing the shutter speed all the way to the slowest speed option until it says Bulb - either in S or M mode.  You will either have to press and hold the shutter manually, or use a wireless remote to trigger the shutter so you don't have to touch it.

2.) interchangeable batteries, does only the 7 have these? this might be a deal breaking for long trips.

Nope - all NEX cameras have interchangeable batteries...you can buy Sony spare batteries, or even some third-party brands, and swap batteries as often as you need.

3.) Has anyone used the 6/7 with the Nikon 16-35 F4? was thinking it would be a nice WA lens for landscape with MF + peaking.

Can't help here, as I haven't used that lens or have a 6 or 7 - but MF and peaking is a very nice combination.

4.) Can any other buttons on the 6 be programed for exposure compensation or AEL/AF lock? any difference with the 7? From what ive read the real dial doesnt do anything in Av mode? weird..

As far as I know, all the NEX cameras have AE lock and exposure compensation - the exposure compensation is usually already provided in the 4-way pad controls, in the bottom position, so it doesn't need to be programmed.  AE Lock should be available in the programmed control options for several buttons - on my NEX-5N I've added AE Lock to the right button of the 4-way pad.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
mgerpe
OP mgerpe Regular Member • Posts: 242

wow, thanks for the quick response. appreciated.

-- hide signature --

"Sit loosely in the saddle of life"
http://www.michaelgerpe.com

boardsy Senior Member • Posts: 2,215

And don't forget for long exposures in bulb mode without a remote you can simply block the lens with a black card (or even your hand!), hit the shutter, un-block after a moment (when the camera/tripod have settled down), and then x minutes later block it again to manually close the shutter. Crude but effective! Mind you, for a 20 minute exposure, wil a tiny camera wobble really impact sharpness?l

Alan

mgerpe

Thank you,

Are there any compact legacy primes in the 16-24 (35mm) equivalent under $500?

-- hide signature --

uhligfd Senior Member • Posts: 2,787

Dear mgerpe,

as honorable as getting your dad an up-to-date NEX in place of his (D)SLR, please be aware that these new "modern NEX" cameras are essentially a computer with a difficult/coplicated and demanding interface, let alone a new language/lingo for their dozen upon dozens functions that - to use them for ultimate best results - will also require digital processing, a raw converter, managing/understanding the whole digital process and its software etc, etc. And that will take months to learn and do adequately.

Is your dad ready to spend time and time again on a computer, with a camera, learning how to set around 100 settings and why and what for ...

Of course there is always out-of-camera jpeg ... Just a thought..

So please try to feel him out or confer with the old man before hitting him with a new brick wall over the holidays ... He might still enjoy his film days ...

ArticVideo Junior Member • Posts: 27

Quick question. In Bulb-mode, Is it really possible to open the shutter by pressing the shutter-button once, and close it by pressing it a second time? I know this is the way it works with a remote, but it seems you have to keep the shutter-button (on the camera) pressed during the full exposure?

rogatsby
rogatsby Regular Member • Posts: 471

ArticVideo wrote:

Quick question. In Bulb-mode, Is it really possible to open the shutter by pressing the shutter-button once, and close it by pressing it a second time? I know this is the way it works with a remote, but it seems you have to keep the shutter-button (on the camera) pressed during the full exposure?

Yes, this is possible. You do not need to keep the shutter button pressed in BULB mode.

rogatsby's gear list:rogatsby's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
ArticVideo Junior Member • Posts: 27

Hmm, at least my Nex-6 closes the shutter as soon as I release the button??? No matter how quickly I release it.

Also the manual states the following:

"4 Press and hold the shutter button for the duration of the shooting. As long as the shutter button is pressed, the shutter remains open."

rogatsby

ArticVideo wrote:

Hmm, at least my Nex-6 closes the shutter as soon as I release the button??? No matter how quickly I release it.

Also the manual states the following:

"4 Press and hold the shutter button for the duration of the shooting. As long as the shutter button is pressed, the shutter remains open."

Sorry, I think you may be right. For up to 30 seconds, you can press the shutter once and then leave it, but it appears you need to keep the shutter pressed in BULB. You need to use a remote.

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
mgerpe

@uhligfd totally understand where you are coming from and thats very good advice.

@ArticVideo: for the most part holding down the shutter button can lead to camera shake, can this be done via a remote ? obviously holding down the shutter button for 15 mins in cold weather stinks.

-- hide signature --

rogatsby

mgerpe wrote:

@uhligfd totally understand where you are coming from and thats very good advice.

@ArticVideo: for the most part holding down the shutter button can lead to camera shake, can this be done via a remote ? obviously holding down the shutter button for 15 mins in cold weather stinks.

-- hide signature --

Yes, as I clarified earlier, a remote works for Bulb mode, and you do not need to hold down the shutter.

mgerpe

perfect, thanks.

anyone use the Pentax DA 15 on a Nex? looks like one of the smallest WA primes out there.

-- hide signature --

uhligfd Senior Member • Posts: 2,787

Note that on the Nex7 at least, the bulb mode B in manual or shutter priority is actually the T mode via the remote: click that 4$ remote once to open the shutter, come back in a week, click again and the shutter closes. (if the battery lasts that long, of course.)

I have not tried holding the exposure button down in B for any length of time myself. But B  mode might also run in T mode then .... I will try tonight and tell what the NEX 7 does with finger grease in its B mode ...

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 19,838

rogatsby wrote:

ArticVideo wrote:

Yes, this is possible. You do not need to keep the shutter button pressed in BULB mode.

Normally, BULB mode is when you have to keep your finger on the button, and TIME mode is when you do two separate button presses.

The NEX has a TIME mode which Sony mistakenly labelled as Bulb.

I don't think whoever wrote the firmware is an experienced photographer.

Giyogi New Member • Posts: 8

Sorry, I am new to DPreview and to this discussion, and am jumping into the middle of it.  HOW DO YOU MAKE THE SHUTTER REMAIN OPEN WHEN IN BULB WITH ONE PUSH TO OPEN AND ONE TO CLOSE?!

Giyogi New Member • Posts: 8

But, on the NEX 6???

RedDevilDan Junior Member • Posts: 32

my 2 cents to sharper image:

1. turn off lens stabilization if your lens has OSS

2. turn off long exposure NR (I assume you are using iso100 in a low light situation, NR is making things less sharp)

KBKB Senior Member • Posts: 2,904

D Cox wrote:

rogatsby wrote:

ArticVideo wrote:

Normally, BULB mode is when you have to keep your finger on the button, and TIME mode is when you do two separate button presses.

The NEX has a TIME mode which Sony mistakenly labelled as Bulb.

On the NEX-7 (and other NEX models too I would guess), you do need to hold the shutter release button down when in BULB mode in order to keep the shutter open.  However, when triggering with a remote (again in BULB mode), one press opens the shutter and the second press closes it.

KBKB's gear list:KBKB's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R II Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads