NEX 7 compared to A77

Started Nov 22, 2012 | Discussions
Elijah C Skuggs Junior Member • Posts: 29
NEX 7 compared to A77

Anyone own both or have experience with both?

I'm thinking about moving back from my mirrorless NEX 5N back to DSLR.  I love the NEX 5n for the most part, but sometimes the menu of the camera frustrates me, and the viewfinder is sometimes missed.

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
LSHorwitz1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,512
Re: NEX 7 compared to A77

Elijah C Skuggs wrote:

Anyone own both or have experience with both?

I'm thinking about moving back from my mirrorless NEX 5N back to DSLR. I love the NEX 5n for the most part, but sometimes the menu of the camera frustrates me, and the viewfinder is sometimes missed.

I own both. Each has its strengths and weaknesses but both are great cameras. If you are aaking which is a better choice, the answer is entirely related to your preferences and needs.

We can help you select / decide if you clarify your intentions and usage.

Larry

Old Pirate Senior Member • Posts: 1,451
I own both..

For stills the 7 is fine.  If you are going to photo moving objects get the 77.  The sensors are the same and act as such although there truly is something special about the 77's use of 50 ISO.

Today is Thanksgiving and I'm taking the 77 because my grandchildren will be running and playing on the farm.  A month ago at the same place there was an extended family reunion.  A lot of folks sitting around talking and a visit to my grandfather's home place.  I took my NEX 7 to that, and it worked great.

I would recommend either camera, but due to their main difference...focus method...my specific recommendation would come only after a person defines the type of photography that makes up a majority of their use.

Old Pirate's gear list:Old Pirate's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +7 more
cosmonaut
cosmonaut Senior Member • Posts: 2,223
Re: I own both..

At one time I owned both. I felt the NEX 7 had a very slight edge in IQ at higher ISOs but enjoyed the Steady Shot on the a77. One kind of washed the other. The LA-EA2 is awesome.

Hugo600si Contributing Member • Posts: 783
Re: NEX 7 compared to A77

My wife has the n7, I have the a77, so I use both. For sharpness the n7 has the edge, possibly because of the 24 zeiss that is on it. For studio work and tele work the a77 wins... but both have their advantages.

For me a few points about why I like both

Nex 7:

• tri-navi controls
  • compact and light
  • sharper
  • tiny bit better in better low light
  • Can use many old manual lenses

If I could only have one it would be the a77, due to my style of shooting, but for my wife it would be the n7 hands down... so it really matters on the person behind the camera.

-- hide signature --

Shamelessly promoting my favourite painters website (my wife's )
http://EdithsArt.nl

Hugo600si's gear list:Hugo600si's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads