5dm3 flash SYNC Issue at 1/200th

Started Nov 20, 2012 | Discussions
vdotmatrix Regular Member • Posts: 254
5dm3 flash SYNC Issue at 1/200th

I was shooting in the studio last night and noticed a black band (3mm) along the right side of the frame, abviously the curtain shot at ISO 200, 1/200th f8 on manual. I freaked.

I lowered the shutter speed to 1/160 ND 1/125TH it went away.

Any one seen this?

vdotmatrix's gear list:vdotmatrix's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +13 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Aussie Rod Senior Member • Posts: 1,034
Re: 5dm3 flash SYNC Issue at 1/200th

vdotmatrix wrote:

I was shooting in the studio last night and noticed a black band (3mm) along the right side of the frame, abviously the curtain shot at ISO 200, 1/200th f8 on manual. I freaked.

Any one seen this?

Yes... I've seen it.  I have been using Cactus 4's on my Einsteins and get 1/160.  Apparently the PC Buff, Pocket Wizard triggers/receivers etc get 1/200.  My 7D gets 1/200 instead of 1/250 with the same cheap triggers.

What are you using?

OP vdotmatrix Regular Member • Posts: 254

Aussie Rod wrote:

vdotmatrix wrote:

Any one seen this?

Yes... I've seen it. I have been using Cactus 4's on my Einsteins and get 1/160. Apparently the PC Buff, Pocket Wizard triggers/receivers etc get 1/200. My 7D gets 1/200 instead of 1/250 with the same cheap triggers.

What are you using?

I was triggering the photogenic studiomax II & IIIs with Pocket Wizard IIs. ugggg. So I called CANON USA today and the said it needed to come in. This morning I setup a couple 580ex IIs and some tt5s, tt1 and the flex controller and shot all over the place without the same phenomenon....

hmmmmm? that is weird yeah?

vdotmatrix's gear list:vdotmatrix's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +13 more
Aussie Rod Senior Member • Posts: 1,034

vdotmatrix wrote:

Aussie Rod wrote:

vdotmatrix wrote:

Any one seen this?

Yes... I've seen it. I have been using Cactus 4's on my Einsteins and get 1/160. Apparently the PC Buff, Pocket Wizard triggers/receivers etc get 1/200. My 7D gets 1/200 instead of 1/250 with the same cheap triggers.

What are you using?

I was triggering the photogenic studiomax II & IIIs with Pocket Wizard IIs. ugggg. So I called CANON USA today and the said it needed to come in. This morning I setup a couple 580ex IIs and some tt5s, tt1 and the flex controller and shot all over the place without the same phenomenon....

That is strange!

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590

vdotmatrix wrote:

Any one seen this?

I'm assuming you were shooting vertically if the black band was along the right side of the frame (since the 5DIII has a vertically travelling shutter)?

Qwntm Veteran Member • Posts: 6,165
Normal operation if I remember correctly...

Studio flash tubes take longer to develop the full light blast.

Read the manual of your studio flashes, it will say what your max shutter sync speed is.

To put it another way, this is a limitation or operating characteristic of your studio strobes, not your camera.

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.youtube.com/photouniverse
www.edwardthomasart.com
www.pbase.com/edwardthomas

Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +8 more
FUN2DRV Forum Member • Posts: 52

Are you using the latest firmware update in the camera.  This was an issue with the early firmware versions.  After update it should not be a problem.

rrccad Forum Pro • Posts: 10,975

vdotmatrix wrote:

Aussie Rod wrote:

vdotmatrix wrote:

Any one seen this?

What are you using?

just out of curiosity are your PW's updated with latest firmware as well.

The only time i've seen this happen in the studio was the fault of the triggers.

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
Press Correspondent
Press Correspondent Veteran Member • Posts: 3,345

vdotmatrix wrote:

Any one seen this?

I've heard more than once that a remote sync takes 1/3 of a stop; so 1/160 in the case of 5D3 is expected.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads