red interior of black X100 leather case: does it ruin its 'stealthiness'? pictures and opinions?

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Questions
blub New Member • Posts: 6
red interior of black X100 leather case: does it ruin its 'stealthiness'? pictures and opinions?

Hi!,

I'm looking for a new camera, smaller than my DLSR-set, that I could carry with me (almost) everywhere I go and thus start taking pictures much more again.

I've been taking less and less pictures over the past 2 years because of 2 reasons:

(1) taking my big camera-bag when I'm not even sure I'll have something to take pictures of has become a obstacle: I like take pictures in the evening/at night/indoors, when there is less light and thus usually carry some prime-lenses (also just the question of 'what part of the equipment do I take with me/take out of the bag first, even if that might sound silly)

(2) pulling out a DSLR is often to eye-catching for the pictures I'd like to take more often

I've been looking at the black X100+leather case for quite some time now, as it seems to answer both concerns quite nicely. Moreover, moving around with just 1 fix-focal lens might bring back the joy I had when I first started photography with my dad's Nikormat and just 1 standard lens: you take less pictures, you might even miss some photographic sceneries, but you think/refine more and don't end up with tons of pictures (digital era...) and your friends/girlfriend annoid, waiting for you to take the right lens and catch up...

I was just about to buy the black version, when I saw the interior of the black leather-case is vivid red!!

Doens't that kind of ruin the 'stealth'-advantage of the black version when taking pictures with the leather case open!?

Could someone show a picture of the full black leather-case, open, with the camera inside and the 'flipping part' just hanging down as when taking a quick picture?

I prefer the black version mainly because it's more stealthy. (And also partly because it looks incredibly nice! I have to admit it.) I know you can take off the flipping-part of the leather case, but what do I then do with that part if I walking around without any bag: leaving home with only the X100 in its leather-case, without the need for any bag, is one of the reasons I'm looking for the X100.

Of course, when you walk around a whole day, you often cary a small backpack anyway, but again: it would seem more convenient to me if I could leave the X100 in its leather bag around my shoulder, well protected, and just flip it open when I want to take a quick picture.

Any opinions, experiences or pictures are very welcome!!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mrgooch2008
mrgooch2008 Contributing Member • Posts: 606
Re: red interior of black X100 leather case: does it ruin its 'stealthiness'? pictures and opinions?

That's the longest question on the color red I have seen!

OP blub New Member • Posts: 6
Re: red interior of black X100 leather case: does it ruin its 'stealthiness'? pictures and opinions?

and that's while I'm partly colour-blind !

VisualFX Senior Member • Posts: 1,164

Why is there such an influx on these forums of people asking about stealth and cameras? Is it a bunch of kiddos joining these days, that have never taken photos before in public? Dude, it doesnt matter if the camera itself would be bright red. People on the streets will still notice you taking photos. Its fairly obvious, even for the people that hold the camera down low and take snapshots. People in public notice it. They just may not bother to tell you to stop taking photos of them.

VisualFX's gear list:VisualFX's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +7 more

You said it yourself: it's not that much about "not being noticed at all", but rather about "being less bothered" while taking some pictures and actually also about "bothering others less".

It is of course partly psychological (on both sides: the photographer and also the people around -whether they are being photographed or not!-), but it sometimes matters, both for the picture itself and for the pleasure of taking some pictures unobtrusively, again, for both the photographer and others around (not meaning hiding or sneaky). I'm not aiming at unnoticed 'spy'-pictures (I would be looking for totally different camera's and focal lengths if that was the case...). I'm just looking for discrete and enjoyable picture-taking.

Of course it doesn't only depend on the camera...

Just to sketch the background a bit more, as that seems to be as important or more important than the subject/question itself: no, I'm not a 'kiddo' and yes, I did take quite a lot of pictures in public in the past (whether just on the streets, at concerts or for weddings etc.) I'm not a professional at all and I'd prefer to keep it as a hobby anyway.

But actually, while picture quality might gain from experience, does age or experience even matter to enjoy having photography as a hobby?

I was actually really enjoying photography as a 'kiddo' from the day my dad entrusted me his fully manual film-camera, before digital camera's even existed. And no, I have no reason to consider myself old at all

iforum Forum Member • Posts: 95

It all sounds like a situation of "Look at me and my camera"

Vic Chapman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,712

What you need is a flesh coloured camera with an eye painted in the top left front corner over the viewfinder. - People will not see the camera at all but they might wonder why your hands/fingers are making a sort of odd square shape over your (painted) right eye.

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 +14 more
...is it my English?

iforum wrote:

It all sounds like a situation of "Look at me and my camera"

... if that was the case, wouldn't I just be delighted with the 'fashion'/'chique' red inlay, while on the contrary, I find it potentially annoying that the red surface might be less discrete?

I thought it was relatively clear in both my posts: discreteness is one of the main points attracting me to the small and silent black X100.

I would prefer the inside of the case to be simply black. A full, simply natural brown case would also be OK, but it seems silly to me to receive a black leather case with the black X100 and than buy a brown leather case to replace it... That'd be a total waste.

Please, read my original and previous post, and don't stick to the single sentence where I say it's a nice looking camera. That's just a subjective and non decisive appreciation.

Re: ...is it my English?

Yes I read your first post it is about you as a attention seeker you are more concerned about yourself and the camera than the photograph.

Resoman Regular Member • Posts: 176

Apparently, you won't get a straight answer to your question on this forum.

I'm not much help either. I've got the black X100 but the leather case is packed away with the box it came in, and not readily accessible. I have no idea what color the interior is.

Instead of the leather case, I use the Grip-Case from J B Camera designs.

http://www.jbcameradesigns.com/products/fuji-x100-grip-case

It's black like my camera and allows me to set the camera down on various surfaces without worrying about scratching up the baseplate. The camera is more "grippable" with the Grip-Case and I still have access to the SD slot and battery compartment.

Good luck on your quest!

Gary

Re: ...is it my English?

Than please inform me on where I used the wrong words! Really, without any irony, I'm eager to know where I didn't phrase my thoughts correctly. English is not my mother-tongue. I just find it strange I have to defend myself from something that is contrary to my motivation.

I considered 'stealth' as a good word for not asking for attention. Maybe 'discrete' would be better?

I also mentioned I didn't want some big or flashy camera: I already find my 7 or 8 year old EOS 350D with 50 f1.8 or 100 f2 attracting to much attention towards the camera and only seldom take it out anymore (also because of the oversized bag).

I didn't ask anything about image quality, because I've seen quite some pictures on this and other forums, convincing me of its image quality. I didn't ask anything about controls, because I have tested one in a store and the manual controls immediately convinced me. So I'm quite confident of it as a tool that would make me re-discover photography as I did with the old Nikkormat. I just asked a question about a last small concern. There are enough pictures online trying to show how fancy this camera is, but I just couldn't find any 'in-use', with the full-case open, showing whether that would just result in the opposite of what I'm looking for. It's just that the black version seems nicer to me while almost the same price as the metallic+case, therefore I could as well consider it.

Thanks for the grip recommendation! It's through the X100's grip is not very deep. It didn't bother me that much while testing in the store, but I can imagine the added grip being a pleasant comfort/stability improvement if you take a lot of pictures.

How do you further protect the camera when not taking pictures? Do you have a small, easy-to-access bag that you use when you're outside all day and would recommend?

What mainly attracts me to the leather case is I don't have to zip any bag open: (1) access seems very quick, (2) protection seems good enough for my use and (3) it almost doesn't take any more space than the camera itself.

masp
masp Junior Member • Posts: 47

If you are set on the camera for all the great things about the x100, you should buy the x100. If, after you have the case in your presence you determine that you don't like it, then buy another case.

The camera is too good to be discarded because of the free case.

masp's gear list:masp's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
Luego
Luego Senior Member • Posts: 1,182

Leave it naked, like this!

Besides, the case cover won't fit if you intend to use the lens hood.

X100LE with Pentax Spotmatic

Cheers

Luego

Luego's gear list:Luego's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more

yea real naked

nawknai Senior Member • Posts: 1,043

I only read the text in bold, as well as some of the arguing that happened afterwards.

Firstly, you used the right words. Some people just like to argue.  Ignore them.  You can take photos of people without them noticing.  Sometimes they'll see you, and sometimes they won't.

Secondly, there are lots of companies that offer a leather case, and I'm sure you can easily find an all-black leather case quite easily. Some may even be designed better than the Fuji X100 case.

Thirdly, I have never had a camera bag for my X100. I have only used the X100 in the leather case. I bought a Gordy's Strap for it, and that's it. When I'm already carrying another bag or backpack, I'll just put my camera into that bag. The leather case is quite hard, and offers a lot of protection.

I treat the X100 much rougher than my X-Pro 1.

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Photozopia
Photozopia Senior Member • Posts: 1,302

Totally agree with nawknai's " ... Some people just like to argue. Ignore them ..." comment. DPR forums are frequently the outlet for those bereft of both manners & brains when responding to other's simple, valid, questions.

Personally, I just use a wrist strap - no case - 'cradling' the camera in my hand when walking, etc.

When not in use I stuff it (safely) in a soft padded bag or even large coat pockets - with no other sharp scratchy objects therein of course!

Visibility?

I find the best technique is simply to raise the camera to your eye and not worry about individual responses - unless you are specifically targeting an individual of course. If you want to take multiple images of one person - possibly performing some task or other - always ask (verbally or traveller's  'sign language' i.e. smiling, point to camera, subject, etc.) to see if it is OK to shoot.

General street scenes etc. - just fire away Most people simply pass by - others may stop (so you can get a 'better' shot) or avoid you ... a few may even object. Learn to smile - best defence!

The X100 doesn't have a modern DSLR 'telephoto look' so the average bystander will probably not even feel targeted by the ' ... fool with the old film camera ... ' anyway!

Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,800

blub wrote:

Doens't that kind of ruin the 'stealth'-advantage of the black version when taking pictures with the leather case open!?

No. The red-lined panel that covers the lcd folds down, exposing the black side to your subject. This is the only place the red-lining is exposed. If you keep the lcd covered and only use the view finder the camera appears totally black.

Could someone show a picture of the full black leather-case, open, with the camera inside and the 'flipping part' just hanging down as when taking a quick picture?

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/blackx1002.jpg

Notice the flaps hangs by the lower edge, keeping the red lining toward the body.

I prefer the black version mainly because it's more stealthy. (And also partly because it looks incredibly nice! I have to admit it.) I know you can take off the flipping-part of the leather case, but what do I then do with that part if I walking around without any bag: leaving home with only the X100 in its leather-case, without the need for any bag, is one of the reasons I'm looking for the X100.

Very sensible. Just keep in mind one of the greatest strengths of the x100 is being able to shoot  exclusively through the view finder. The only time you're likely to use the lcd for the type of shooting you've mentioned, is when you're reviewing shots. If stealth matters in that scenario you're probably shooting something you shouldn't be

Of course, when you walk around a whole day, you often cary a small backpack anyway, but again: it would seem more convenient to me if I could leave the X100 in its leather bag around my shoulder, well protected, and just flip it open when I want to take a quick picture.

Frankly, I don't think there is a better camera suited to your application without going up to the new leica M. If you're okay with the evf, the xe1 +18mm would give you a bit more flexibility, but I've never used it so can't speak from experience.

thomo
thomo Senior Member • Posts: 1,280

I bought one of these half cases for my X100LE on eBay - they are great because you can change batteries without removing the case. Only $29

thomo's gear list:thomo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D80 Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 +43 more
Ryan Williams
Ryan Williams Contributing Member • Posts: 598

Out of curiosity, why do people bother with half-cases? Isn't the whole point of case to protect it from the elements when not in use? I can't imagine how a half-case will provide any meaningful protection at all during storage, especially as it's only the areas an owner is least likely to be concerned about that're covered.

I can understand cases where they the top half can be taken off during use, but I see a lot of people seemingly going around with cases that cover half the camera and that's it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads