Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions
orchidblooms
orchidblooms Senior Member • Posts: 1,267
Re: Shoulder strap ruins D-800

xrdbear wrote:

orchidblooms wrote:

I 100% agree - this is not the camera to use a bottom mount strap --

You said something earlier about wobbling on a tripod and having posted about it before. I can't recall this, could you elaborate?

not tripod per se .... rather the wobble is between the grip (nikon) and the body at he base area...

notice when 'walking' with rapd strap and having gentle hand on camera...

there is more flex than i am comfortable with...  use rrs l plate - no matter - flax is there i think it is the whole base of the camera...

the grip wobbles on an axis above the bottom or at teh 'bottom' of the camera...

others must have this same issue...

does not matter how tight the grip is...

egk4260 Contributing Member • Posts: 673
Re: Ditched my Black Rapid strap

I would agree that Nikon should clearly state in the manual the approved uses of the tripod socket, and that these types of straps are not recommended and may void the warranty.

I also feel it is more incumbent on the strap maker to warn that one should check with the manufacturer of his/her camera before using these devices as they know this question exists. As I stated earlier they will dance around this issue, only telling you that the connector will hold some insane load safely.

We can argue the physics of shear and torque, or that the camera is not designed or constructed properly for its price point, but the issue here is that the failure is occurring because the camera is being used in a manner for which it was not designed or constructed.

egk4260's gear list:egk4260's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Apple iPhone 8
spqr_ca
spqr_ca Contributing Member • Posts: 707
Comfort

M Lammerse wrote:

Hi Jim,

I never ever got the understanding why people want to connect their neck/shoulderstrap at the most unlogic/instable place of a camera, at the bottom.

It's actually quite comfortable and it's pretty easy to grasp and sling the camera into action (like drawing a pistol). I had the dual-camera strap and when I was out with two cameras, it was also substantially less strain on my shoulders and neck in comparison to other straps.

At any rate, I'm not as comfortable doing this with my D800 as I was with my K-5s, so I've switched back to a more traditional strap (though not the supplied one) with good padding. Better safe than sorry.

spqr_ca's gear list:spqr_ca's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus Air Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +4 more
larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,671

A tripod socket is just that, a socket used to mount a camera on a tripod, end of story.  Nikon does not have to put a disclaimer for the tripod socket, its a tripod socket, use it for that!!!!!!

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +8 more
Dalmellington Junior Member • Posts: 25

OldDigiman wrote:

My take on this is that (1) a $3000 camera that can't take the kinds of stresses mentioned here has pretty pathetic design, IMO, (2) the bottom-carrying style straps are common enough so that if the camera can't handle being suspended by one, Nikon should put a disclaimer in the user guide, (3) I'm bummed because my practice has been to carry my camera over my shoulder attached to a monopod, which obviously I wont' be able to do with my newly acquired D800E.

I hope the OP can get coverage through his credit card. Another alternative (albeit a hassle) would be to sue Nikon in small claims court (the legal theory in California would be "breach of the implied warranty of merchantability" (Civil Code section 1791.1), given how common it is for people to carry cameras attached to tripods on their shoulder, there is a good argument that the camera is not "fit for the ordinary purposes for which such goods are used").

OP, I also would let your strap maker know what happened, once this problem is known, they are obliged to disclose it in the promotional materials. I hate to think how many people this could potentially happen to.

But bottom line is that this is a design flaw in the camera, despite what the apologists have been saying about the forces involved.

Agree 100% - the tripod screw is a load-bearing hard point, how was the OP to know a strap attached could destroy the whole camera? Thats ridiculous. I really would just keep at them (FOREVER) until I got some satisfaction. I had an issue with a (dropped, M8,€500) Leica repair that wasn't satisfactory (twice), sent it back to them (twice) with letters explaining that I wasn't a rich fanboy, I was a long term user who had to save up to afford their products and could they please just make it right?  I followed up with numerous phone calls. Eventually they did. I won't say I had to shame them into doing it, but the fact I didn't let it go made a difference in the end- I eventually got enough people to take notice that they made sure it got done right. It's not quite the same situation, but if you can get enough people in the administration to be aware of you and what happened, I think you'd get some satisfaction.  Just keep at them. And keep at them.  And keep at them.

Dalmellington Junior Member • Posts: 25

OldDigiman wrote:

My take on this is that (1) a $3000 camera that can't take the kinds of stresses mentioned here has pretty pathetic design, IMO, (2) the bottom-carrying style straps are common enough so that if the camera can't handle being suspended by one, Nikon should put a disclaimer in the user guide, (3) I'm bummed because my practice has been to carry my camera over my shoulder attached to a monopod, which obviously I wont' be able to do with my newly acquired D800E.

I hope the OP can get coverage through his credit card. Another alternative (albeit a hassle) would be to sue Nikon in small claims court (the legal theory in California would be "breach of the implied warranty of merchantability" (Civil Code section 1791.1), given how common it is for people to carry cameras attached to tripods on their shoulder, there is a good argument that the camera is not "fit for the ordinary purposes for which such goods are used").

OP, I also would let your strap maker know what happened, once this problem is known, they are obliged to disclose it in the promotional materials. I hate to think how many people this could potentially happen to.

But bottom line is that this is a design flaw in the camera, despite what the apologists have been saying about the forces involved.

Agree 100% - the tripod screw is a load-bearing hard point, how was the OP to know a strap attached could destroy the whole camera? Thats ridiculous. I really would just keep at them (FOREVER) until I got some satisfaction. I had an issue with a (dropped, M8,€500) Leica repair that wasn't satisfactory (twice), sent it back to them (twice) with letters explaining that I wasn't a rich fanboy, I was a long term user who had to save up to afford their products and could they please just make it right?  I followed up with numerous phone calls. Eventually they did. I won't say I had to shame them into doing it, but the fact I didn't let it go made a difference in the end- I eventually got enough people to take notice that they made sure it got done right. It's not quite the same situation, but if you can get enough people in the administration to be aware of you and what happened, I think you'd get some satisfaction.  Just keep at them. And keep at them.  And keep at them.

nonuniform Contributing Member • Posts: 507
Re: Comfort

spqr_ca wrote:

M Lammerse wrote:

Hi Jim,

I never ever got the understanding why people want to connect their neck/shoulderstrap at the most unlogic/instable place of a camera, at the bottom.

It's actually quite comfortable and it's pretty easy to grasp and sling the camera into action (like drawing a pistol). I had the dual-camera strap and when I was out with two cameras, it was also substantially less strain on my shoulders and neck in comparison to other straps.

At any rate, I'm not as comfortable doing this with my D800 as I was with my K-5s, so I've switched back to a more traditional strap (though not the supplied one) with good padding. Better safe than sorry.

I've never enjoyed a camera around my neck, I dunno how people do it! Seriously though, I've created a number of straps that loop across my chest like the BR, but that attach at the standard strap points. The deal with the BR strap is that it's comfortable, can be quickly moved into position by sliding along the strap, and is out of the way if you're using two bodies.

What I've done in the past, is have a camera pack on a belt, with the strap setup across my chest. The camera is protected, but ready to go when I need it.

nonuniform's gear list:nonuniform's gear list
Sony a7R III
Ando72 Regular Member • Posts: 413

Having read through this thread, here are my thoughts:

• If it was me, and Nikon said they couldn't/wouldn't fix it, I would be pulling out the tools and removing the baseplate to see how it was attached and why it may have bent.  At first glance my thought is that something is not right with the way the baseplate has been screwed in.  This might also allow you to install a new/used baseplate if you can find one.
  • Fixing a tripod mounting plate SHOULD HELP to distribute the forces, but it will depend on how tightly it is screwed in.  This is a common technique used in structural design, but again it depends highly on how tight the joint is; it's possible that with a single screw point you can't make the joint tight enough.
  • For this same reason, the guys worried about carrying their cameras around attached to tripods (over the shoulder) have much less to worry about.
  • To the people who suggested Nikon should warn people about the suitability of using the tripod mount for other purposes - seriously?  It's called a tripod mount, and the camera has dedicated sling mounting points, and you need to be told, in writing, that this is not its intended purpose??!!

Shane

Ando72's gear list:Ando72's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +9 more
Anker BergSonne Regular Member • Posts: 322

larrywilson wrote:

I would highly recommend mounting an L bracket such as the one I use from Kirk Enterprises. This would take most of the strain off the tripod thread on the camera when attaching a strap to the tripod hole in the L bracket.

Larry

This will definitely work because it will eliminate the twisting force from the tripod mount and only leave the forces in line with the screw. The damage happens when you use a mount that has the strap attached far from the thread and you apply a force that tries to bend the attachment rather than pull it away from the bottom plate.

Yesterday I saw an article describing a DIY shoulder strap that used a huge eye bolt. That's exactly what you don't want to use.

I also echo the advice NOT to try hammering, pressing or exploding the plate back into shape. You will end up with a destroyed camera. Fill the crack with silicone and use it as is.

Anker

Anker BergSonne's gear list:Anker BergSonne's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Cliff Fujii
Cliff Fujii Veteran Member • Posts: 8,322
Re: tripod sockets aren't for carrying the weight of cameras/lenses

Nikon does issue warnings if it knows that something is unsuitable.  Take the Nikon1 camera system.  Nikon tells you not to mount the Nikon1 cameras that have large heavy telesphotos on a tripod using the tripod camera socket because there is a danger of breaking the lens mount.

I think that if you want to use a new type of device, you should call Nikon to see if these devices will void the warranty.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 +52 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads