Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions
trend1 Contributing Member • Posts: 979
Re: Claim of damage

8TAV wrote:

Never thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Good luck! Lets us know if it worked out for you.

OP 8TAV Forum Member • Posts: 95
Re: Shoulder strap ruins D-800

OK,  I just took five pictures of the D -800 using the D -700.  They are in Lightroom and I don't know how to go about sending them here.  I assume they should be resized.  To what size?

shawnfb Contributing Member • Posts: 612

I think it sounds pretty simple, the small screw hole intended to hold the camera on a stationary tripod was used as a point of attachment for carrying the camera and lens. The added stress of movement, etc etc distorted the area around the tripod mount area.

I would use the strap holds on the sides of the camera as they are intended to distribute the weight more evenly.

-- hide signature --

shawn

OK  - lets see if I can get these shots downsized .  The scale in the pictures is for a size reference.

Next shot will have the scale

I'll give a try at getting a couple pix over here.  Note that I did slip a 6 inch metal scale into the opening to give the viewer so proportion.  Dunno what size images are best here???

Obviously the scale is resting in the gap that has mysterious opened.  We now believe that gnomes are responsible.

BeachnCruz Senior Member • Posts: 2,034

Upload Limits

• JPEG image files only (for now)
  • Maximum of 20 MB or 20 megapixels in size
  • ****Maximum of 30,000 pixels along any axis ****
  • Free account limits

Maximum of 200 MB uploads per month (resets first of each month)

Maximum of 1,000 photos in total per account

This is the last one.

In this view you can see the depth of the gap and how the wides opening is directly under the lens.  Now don't really understand how this could be impact damage as Nikon claims.  If you screw something into the tripod hole and tug on that something I think you can duplicate this event.  That is the baseplate will be bent down as I stated in my firat message.

This is another view.

orchidblooms
orchidblooms Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

this is where the camera wobbles when it is attached to the mb-d12 grip ever so slightly - with normal lenses - quite a bit with 300 f4 to the point where i have thrown my black rapid into box to forget its use...

this is indeed a problem - i noticed this and made comments about this sometime in june / july???... this early summer...

hand carry or use the lugs

p.

shawnfb Contributing Member • Posts: 612

8TAV wrote:

This is the last one.

In this view you can see the depth of the gap and how the wides opening is directly under the lens. Now don't really understand how this could be impact damage as Nikon claims. If you screw something into the tripod hole and tug on that something I think you can duplicate this event. That is the baseplate will be bent down as I stated in my firat message.

I posted a pic of the brand strap that you used, does this look like a good idea?

Is this the type of carrying the camera went through??

-- hide signature --

shawn

Yes Shawn,  You manikin is doing exactly what I was doing and I didn't have the extra battery pack for more weight.

People have suggested I use the lugs.  On many shots I have wanted to take two bodies so I generally hang the D-700 from a neck strap with a flash on a short extension by their lugs.  Then I carry the D -800 as you show with a high ISO and no flash and a prim lens.  Hanging two cameras around a neck is a problem so I plan to hang one and put the other into a case, easily accessible case.

macmaven Contributing Member • Posts: 957
Should be able to replace if similar to this D700

Found this on the net.  It is for the D700. Looks like the bottom plate could be replaced with a fresh part if the D800 is similar.  Wonder why Nikon says it can't be done.  It however the sum total of it's parts.

macmaven's gear list:macmaven's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400
macmaven Contributing Member • Posts: 957
Find a "Parts Donor"

There have been a couple of posts of water damaged, or otherwise total loss D-800's.

Perhaps one of them would sell you the hulk and you could do a transplant yourself.

Just a thought.

macmaven's gear list:macmaven's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400
jdhill66 New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Find a "Parts Donor"

Thanks for the photos. They help.

But we really can't assess what's happened without removing the plate.

I appears, although the photo angle is not ideal, that the plate itself is not bent, but rather has pulled away from the body. Depending on how it is attached, that means that either the attachment screws (?) have stripped or the body part to which the plate attaches has distorted, or something even further up the attachement chain is the problem.

We really can't blame the plate at this point, unless it is clearly bent or distorted.

If Melville won't help, OP may want to get the unit to a shop that can do the dissassembly for a modest fee. It probably means replacing many of the rubber coverings, not a big item, but some cost. Only once inside can you assess the damage and decide on next steps.

Good luck. We're all interested in following this.

jdhill66's gear list:jdhill66's gear list
Nikon Z7
larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,674
Re: image helps

I almost afraid to say I am an engineer (civil) -  33 years - and also have been a construction contractor for the last 13 years.

The image proves to me that it was a leverage pressure on the camera base that cased the base to bend up on the front side of the base.  It is a different stress than what is happening when the camera and small lens is on a tripod.  Yes I would think the base should be ok with a shoulder strap attached to the tripod socket, but in this case whatever the problem is it was not ok.

Once again I would not use this type of strap.  I would only use a strap attached to the two attachment locations on both sides of the top portion of the camera.

Also I never mount a large lens or long focal length lens using the camera mount on a tripod.  I do like the Kirk L bracket for taking some of the leverage stress off the camera tripod socket even when mounting on a tripod.  Better to be safe then sorry.

I really appreciate the op's input and sticking to a thread that has the usual negative and responses that have no value.  Hopefully you got some good input and I wish you well.  Once again thanks.

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Zeiss Milvus 50mm F2 Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Zeiss Milvus 18mm F2.8 +8 more
rgolub
rgolub Senior Member • Posts: 2,061

That's what duct tape is for!

I second the request to show us a pic.  Never heard of such a rig.  Just curious.

-- hide signature --

RG www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +12 more

Look down at the bottom.  There are three views.

rgolub

Not sure that this would help, but you could look at the Kirk Arca plates.  Mine have a small loop on the side that one could attach a strap to - I believe it's there as an extra safety mechanism, but it certainly would hold a bit on nylon webbing.  The Arca plate would distribute the stresses beyond the threads that comprise the tripod socket.

It appears to me that recent Nikon bodies are pushing the envelope in terms of mechanical stability.  And not in a good way.  The D800 in particular 'seems' flimsy compared to the D300 and D700.  I think that repeated attempts at making the bodies lighter and cheaper have made them less robust.  It's always a complicated series of tradeoffs - lighter, cheaper, stronger - pick any two.  But I'm treating my D800 a little less cavalierly than the other bodies.  Maybe it's just me....

-- hide signature --

RG www.lostrange.com

Nikon D800 Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +12 more
rgolub

TOF guy wrote:

First I would be hugely pi**ed....

Yes I feel sorry for the O/P

Next I would get a RRS L bracket and attach t BackRapid strap to that

Which wouldn't help at all .The bottom plate still bears the weight of the camera and lens.

But the plate may distribute the stress beyond the threads of the socket.  It isn't so much the actual load, but the concentration of the load in a small area.

-- hide signature --

RG www.lostrange.com

Bruce Photography
Bruce Photography New Member • Posts: 11
Re: image helps

I'm sorry that I can't help with the original problem.  However I have used tripod spot for the sling type of strap but I always use the vertical grip as well as a Kirk or Really Right Stuff L bracket.  Once the strip is mounted on the bottom of the L bracket, the weight is distributed along the bottom and the sids of the vertical grip and camera.  Since the only connection with the strip is with the bracket, and the connection of the L bracket is only to the vertical grip, then little force is applied to the actual camera.  This approach works well for both Canons and Nikons.

I know this doesn't fix the posters situation but perhaps it might help others before they put on the sling type.  Bruce

Bruce Photography's gear list:Bruce Photography's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D +32 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads