Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions
OP 8TAV Forum Member • Posts: 95
Re: No tape . . . no tape!

That sounds like good advice.  Thanks.

Re: What lens were you using?

Re:  The leans used  A50 mm 1.8 prime and maybe once a 24 - 70mm.  The latter is pretty heavy.

I don't think I did any running.  I don't normally do that anyway and I use the shoulder strap when I think I want two bodies.  That is a load to run with.

spqr_ca
spqr_ca Contributing Member • Posts: 707
Re: Shoulder strap ruins D-800

larrywilson wrote:

I would highly recommend mounting an L bracket such as the one I use from Kirk Enterprises. This would take most of the strain off the tripod thread on the camera when attaching a strap to the tripod hole in the L bracket.

Larry

I have the Manfrotto plate on mine with the Blackrapid's strap. I used the combo pretty happily with my K-5s (I had the dual strap), but the D800 is a little bigger and I'm rethinking that approach now especially since I'm back to a single camera.

spqr_ca's gear list:spqr_ca's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus Air Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +4 more
Ohnostudio Regular Member • Posts: 486

8TAV wrote:

Yes the shoulder strap fits into the tripod socket and holds the camera on my hip. The camera hangs down from the thread.

I didn't think ever that those tripod mount straps were a good idea.Now you've confirmed it.

Was there any kind of tech data that came with the strap? Such as a weight rating, or an accepted model list, such as "Ok to use with Nikon Dxxx" ? My next step would be to contact them although with some of these companies, trying to get compensation can be futile.

I'm sorry to hear what happened. I stick with lug straps myself with quick disconnect feature.

-- hide signature --

Don't aspire to be like someone else. Be better.

Hugo First Contributing Member • Posts: 780
Still no photo?

this is a photography website and we're talking about high-end cameras here... c'mon, posting a photo ain't rocket science... every step is clearly explained as you go through the process. without a photo, i have to confess i'm very skeptical about what is being claimed here...

jack oconnor Regular Member • Posts: 151

Now that I think about it I carried my old D-200 & D-800 with many lens even a 80-200 f 2.8 on a monopod slung over my shoulder.

I did that while hiking in extremely rough terrain and I never gave it a thought that it would bend the mount.

Is there cause for concern, should I not do that anymore?

I wonder if your`s was just a fluke, maybe the casting was too thin on it?

How can we find out if it`s safe or not?

.--
Jack

sshoihet Senior Member • Posts: 2,629
Re: What lens were you using?

8TAV wrote:

Re: The leans used A50 mm 1.8 prime and maybe once a 24 - 70mm. The latter is pretty heavy.

I don't think I did any running. I don't normally do that anyway and I use the shoulder strap when I think I want two bodies. That is a load to run with.

I don't have a D800 but i do often hang my D7000 with battery grip and 80-200 afs off my black rapid strap.  That is quite a heavy lens and the bending moment experienced by the tripod mount should be increased due to the additional thickness of the grip. I do generally hold them when i'm walking/running but i haven't seen anything that would worry me.

Having the camera with a large lens mounted on a tripod (depending on the position) presents mostly a bending moment about the tripod mount; there is also a vertical component which pushes the base of the camera against the tripod plate (again, depends on position).  Hanging the camera from a strap presents mostly a tensile force (esp with a shorter lens), as the camera is free to pivot around the mount, the bending moment is reduced.  I would expect that stressing the camera in tension should present much less of a problem than a bending moment.

It is not uncommon for a tripod with lens attached to be carried over the shoulder, i would expect this to present just as much of a problem as the strap; it is not uncommon for me to run with a camera in this position.  In both cases, the lens should be the attachment point where possible.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
BJN
BJN Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088
Perhaps an Arca plate to salvage the camera

I wonder if it's possible that the base of your camera had a void or other metal casting defect. The only way to find out would be an autopsy. And it's quite possible that the base is not designed to be as robust as it should be.

I'd suggest using an Arca type tripod plate to mount anything to your camera or the camera to anything. And by that I mean a custom plate that is shaped to the base of the camera. A plate will help to spread the mounting force over a wider area. I would avoid using the ball-peg type holster fittings attached directly to the camera's tripod socket. The Spyder strap is an example that looks like there's a very small flange at the mounting point and I'd guess that your strap uses something similar. You could mount the strap's camera attachment to an Arca plate to spread the load force.

You may also be able to use an Arca plate to try and pull the base back into alignment. If the mounting screw for a custom Arca plate will reach the bent socket's threads, mounting and tightening the plate to the base might pull it back toward proper alignment. Unfortunately, the metal would be stressed and this cast alloy is likely to crack and weaken from bending forces.

I'd be upset and I appreciate you passing along this warning. You may want to consider permanently mounting an Arca plate to the camera, provided the plate provides access to the battery door. You could potentially use some epoxy to add strength if it turns out that the threaded socket is to weakened to trust. If the camera's otherwise functional, you'd be able to use it with tripods and other accessories via Arca clamp attachments.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

BJN's gear list:BJN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
xrdbear Veteran Member • Posts: 3,939

Very worrying. If normal shocks on the strap while carrying the camera around can do this damage then I shall have to avoid using my Cotton Carrier system with the D800 as that depends completely on the tripod socket (except for the emergency strap).

More expense down the drain.

-- hide signature --

Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

sshoihet Senior Member • Posts: 2,629

xrdbear wrote:

Very worrying. If normal shocks on the strap while carrying the camera around can do this damage then I shall have to avoid using my Cotton Carrier system with the D800 as that depends completely on the tripod socket (except for the emergency strap).

More expense down the drain.

So, based on one report of a bent camera base, with no photos and no clear evidence on how this happened, people are going to worry?  That seems completely reasonable to me.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,313

First I would be hugely pi**ed....

Yes I feel sorry for the O/P

Next I would get a RRS L bracket and attach t BackRapid strap to that

Which wouldn't help at all .The bottom plate still bears the weight of the camera and lens.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
An L plate won't help at all

Larry wrote:

I would highly recommend mounting an L bracket such as the one I use from Kirk Enterprises. This would take most of the strain off the tripod thread on the camera when attaching a strap to the tripod hole in the L bracket

Think about it, Larry. The base plate still takes the very same strain through the attachment to the tripod thread. You're just adding a piece between the strap and the tripod thread, but it doesn't help with the issue at hand.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Useful info: stay away from Black rapid straps and the like

I would have never thought that the base plate cannot withstand the weight of the camera and would ultimately bend if one holds the camera by a strap attached to the thread. But it's true that Nikon has never recommended the use of the tripod thread for this purpose.

Did the strap manufacturer warn you about this eventuality ? Who is it, BTW? You should let them know of the risks associated with using the D800/D800e with their straps.

Please post an image if you have a chance . This would be very helpful info.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

spqr_ca
spqr_ca Contributing Member • Posts: 707
It will to some degree

TOF guy wrote:

Larry wrote:

I would highly recommend mounting an L bracket such as the one I use from Kirk Enterprises. This would take most of the strain off the tripod thread on the camera when attaching a strap to the tripod hole in the L bracket

Think about it, Larry. The base plate still takes the very same strain through the attachment to the tripod thread. You're just adding a piece between the strap and the tripod thread, but it doesn't help with the issue at hand.

In order to flex, it's going to have to flex the whole plate as opposed to just at the hole. Not a perfect answer, but it will spread the strain a little. However, I switched back to my Crumpler strap that attaches to the proper points... I may be willing to risk a K-5, but the D800 is a lot more expensive a damage proposition. As a bonus, it's a little less of a pain to attach to the tripod since I don't have to remove the strap first now.

spqr_ca's gear list:spqr_ca's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus Air Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +4 more
Seems to me it won't help at all

In order to flex, it's going to have to flex the whole plate as opposed to just at the hole.

It still would not help, I think: the camera bottom plate must have bent down away from the rest of the body. The L-plate can stay flat and is not forced to flex because of the curvature of the bend (also because the plate has only one attachment point to the camera). The plate would be lower than it should and the hole on the side not be properly aligned, that's it.

Thinking of it, I sometimes attach the camera /  L-plate to a monopod head, and carry the whole set by holding the monopod. Maybe I shouldn't do this .... Hmmm. Well I've checked and everything is fine. But I'll be more careful from now on. Thanks to the O/P !

-- hide signature --

Thierry

SonyForNow
SonyForNow Regular Member • Posts: 359

I'd send it to another Nikon repair place, because Melville's answer is like they didn't open it, just looked at it. And talk to them about getting your $280 back. What's the warranty period?

SonyForNow's gear list:SonyForNow's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Sony a7 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Re: Useful info: stay away from Black rapid straps and the like

TOF GUY

This is my first attempt to enter information on this site in maybe 10 years. I have never tried to enter a photo and I'm not highly motivated to try to learn how to do it.  Frankly I have been amazed at the people who have attacked my veracity.  What possible moitive would I have to try to mislead?  Maybe Wednesday I will fire up the 105 macro on the D-700 and try and take the pix of the opening under the lens on the D-800 but I don't plan to spend much time  trying to figure out how to post it to weird  people who challenge my veracity or motives. Really I don't give a damn if people believe me, my whole thought was to save others from similar event.  I am amazed at the attitude of some of the people here.

Message for the doubters.  You're right!  I dreamed up the whole thing and tried to make fools of all of you but you clever people saw through my effort.  Damn, you are really clever even those of you who don't know how to use the english language.   Have a nice holiday!

8TAV wrote:

TOF GUY

This is my first attempt to enter information on this site in maybe 10 years. I have never tried to enter a photo and I'm not highly motivated to try to learn how to do it. Frankly I have been amazed at the people who have attacked my veracity. What possible moitive would I have to try to mislead? Maybe Wednesday I will fire up the 105 macro on the D-700 and try and take the pix of the opening under the lens on the D-800 but I don't plan to spend much time trying to figure out how to post it to weird people who challenge my veracity or motives. Really I don't give a damn if people believe me, my whole thought was to save others from similar event. I am amazed at the attitude of some of the people here.

Message for the doubters. You're right! I dreamed up the whole thing and tried to make fools of all of you but you clever people saw through my effort. Damn, you are really clever even those of you who don't know how to use the english language. Have a nice holiday!

I hope the request for the picture I've made did not come accross as questioning your word, like a request for evidence. If so I apologize. It was not the reply intent. If anything I feel very sorry for your misfortune, and am grateful for your feedback as I've learned something about not using the tripod thread as an attachment for a strap (or a monopod head as I've posted somewhere else in this thread).

You've asked for suggestions on how to deal with the bending and a picture would help me and maybe others to answer. And I must admit that I'm kind of curious to see how bad is the opening, get an idea of what it looks like, and as the saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words. Certainly please don't sweat over it if you don't have the time and motivation to do it. If you can that's great and thank you for that, if not we'll live.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

orchidblooms
orchidblooms Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

TOF guy wrote:

8TAV wrote:

TOF GUY

...... as I've learned something about not using the tripod thread as an attachment for a strap (or a monopod head as I've posted somewhere else in this thread).

You've asked for suggestions on how to deal with the bending and a picture would help me and maybe others to answer. And I must admit that I'm kind of curious to see how bad is the opening, get an idea of what it looks like, and as the saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words. Certainly please don't sweat over it if you don't have the time and motivation to do it. If you can that's great and thank you for that, if not we'll live.

I do the same thing -- but with my tripod / acratec GP-s head - slogging thru the woods - down the slopes of rivers -- you name it

d800e / nikon grip RRS l bracked - all screwed tight to the tripod...

now rethinking this...

i have abandoned my black rapid strap - months ago - noticed 'wobble' between the grip / body no matter how tight the grip was cinched to the body... posted that at the time here...

i carry camera strapless now / keep it backpack in n out or move around with this all attached to tripod often slung over shoulder...

will have to rethink all of this a bit perhaps....

a phot of the damage would be helpful for many of us to see what we may have ahead...

manyt hanks

larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,671

TOF guy

I think you misunderstand on how the strap point would be attached to the camera.  The strap attachment is attached to the Kirk L bracket and not the camera.  When the L bracket is attached to the camera by the tripod screw hole on the camera the bracket fits snug against a large portion of the bottom of the camera.  The L bracket takes most all the torque off the tripod screw hole on the camera.  The L bracket is very strong and can support the strap attachment very easily.

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads