Shoulder strap ruins D-800

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions
8TAV Forum Member • Posts: 95
Shoulder strap ruins D-800

After taking my beautiful D 800 to four or five events suspended by a shoulder strap I noted that the  bottom of the camera at the tripod thread had bent the base plate of the camera down.  Never had a large lens on the camera only small primes.Sent it to Melville and they claimed it was "impact" damage and billed me$280.00.  A month went by and finally after I called several times they reported that it could not be fixed.

Now what do I do?

8TAV

Kaj E Veteran Member • Posts: 9,359
Re: Shoulder strap ruins D-800

8TAV wrote:

After taking my beautiful D 800 to four or five events suspended by a shoulder strap I noted that the bottom of the camera at the tripod thread had bent the base plate of the camera down. Never had a large lens on the camera only small primes.Sent it to Melville and they claimed it was "impact" damage and billed me$280.00. A month went by and finally after I called several times they reported that it could not be fixed.

Now what do I do?

8TAV

Unless you have insurance for the camera it seems you need to pay for new D800. Ask them to credit the $280 in exchange for you buying a new D800 from them.

If buying new cameras and lenses in cases like this is too much money for you, then consider getting insurance on your gear.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

Dalmellington Junior Member • Posts: 25

what you describe is not physically possible.

soloryb Senior Member • Posts: 2,315

8TAV wrote:

After taking my beautiful D 800 to four or five events suspended by a shoulder strap I noted that the bottom of the camera at the tripod thread had bent the base plate of the camera down. Never had a large lens on the camera only small primes.Sent it to Melville and they claimed it was "impact" damage and billed me$280.00. A month went by and finally after I called several times they reported that it could not be fixed.

Now what do I do?

8TAV

Did you have  the strap attached to the tripod mount screw hole in any way?

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
OP 8TAV Forum Member • Posts: 95

The bottom of the camera is bent down at the tripod socket.  Why do you say that the shoulder strap didn't cause the damage?

Yes the shoulder strap fits into the tripod socket and holds the camera on my hip.  The camera hangs down from the thread.

Kaj E Veteran Member • Posts: 9,359

8TAV wrote:

Yes the shoulder strap fits into the tripod socket and holds the camera on my hip. The camera hangs down from the thread.

You must have banged the camera hanging from the strap against something, without noticing it. It happens very easily. If I have the camera hanging from the strap on my hip, I hold a hand on it in close quarters to avoid damage.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

I suppose that is a possibility but I think I kept it protected when in close quarters.  Note that the plate on the bottom is bent down as if the strap had pulled hard on the thread.  If that bending was done from a blow that was hard enough to bend the metal you might find a mark someplace else on the camera that indicates an impact in the opposite direction.  Don't see one nor do I recall any hard tug on my shoulder.

I entered my comment here to be a warning to others that the base of the D-800 is thin and to use great caution when using it to mount the camera hanging down.

larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,289

Does the d600 come with the shoulder strap that you have described?  I would not personally hang a camera by using a strap from the tripod socket, too much leverage on the tripod socket.  I would use the normal shoulder strap that attaches to the two strap attachments on the upper two sides of the camera.

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Tokina AT-X 70-200mm F4 PRO FX VCM-S +6 more
jack oconnor Regular Member • Posts: 151

Does the camera still function normally other than the malformed body?

-- hide signature --

Jack

Larry,

Guess you are right.  The idea was to carry two cameras, one on a neck strap and one on the shoulder sling.  I had done it many time in the past without problems on the D-7009 and have seen many other photographers doing this with various set ups.  Watch the sports guys at football games. I did keep the weight down by using only small prim lens'.

My goal here is merely to warn others of a potential problem and not to be hassled by less than helpful  folks suggesting I shouldn't have done this or that I should buy insurance.  I doubt if the insurance would fix the base.

larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,289

Yes, it sounds like the d600 has a thin bottom plate and probably best if a person wants to use the d600 to not use the tripod socket for carrying the camera.

I'm sorry for your problem, it probably shouldn't be a problem, but good that you have warned people of the problem you have had with the d600.

Good luck and thanks for your input.

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Tokina AT-X 70-200mm F4 PRO FX VCM-S +6 more

Yes, it seems to work as it did.  I am concerned that the 1/16 inch gap along the front of the camera will let in dirt.

Gasser Regular Member • Posts: 152

So, are you saying that if I were to carry the camera attached to my tripod and then the tripod slung over my shoulder that I would possibly damage the bottom of the camera?

-- hide signature --

Ben Gasser
Overland Park, KS

GroWeb Regular Member • Posts: 152

8TAV wrote:

I doubt if the insurance would fix the base.

No, it wouldn't fix the base; it would replace the camera.

GroWeb's gear list:GroWeb's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
jack oconnor Regular Member • Posts: 151

I am truly sorry that happened to your camera.

I have a strap attached to one of the side studs of my D-800 and until my camera went for a swim last week, it worked great. It survived many mountain trails and ceaseless swinging and banging about- an altogether excellent arrangement.

I wonder if you could repair the camera yourself at least good enough to be able to use a tripod, or a makeshift attachment to a lens tripod mount for example. If you could tolerate how it looked you could seal the gap somehow.

Without seeing it it`s hard to visualize the damage.

I am a fixer- I make Prosthetic limbs and braces, so I spend most of my time adjusting and repairing devices - Bring me something broke and I`m obsessed with repairing it somehow.

If melvill can not or will not use their imaginations to effect a repair you might as well do it yourself, or try to have a good local technician attempt it-Maybe even a gunsmith could do it.

Good luck let us know how you fare.

Jack

gl2k
gl2k Veteran Member • Posts: 3,232

Can you post a picture ? I'd be interested to see the amount of damage. It's really hard to believe that when using standard lenses such a severe damage can happen at all.

No didn't say anything like that or imply it.  I have used an over the shoulder strap called a Sun Sniper.  It has a padded portion for your shoulder and a 1/4-20 male screw to go into the tripod  hole that is in almost all cameras. The screw is 180 degrees from the shoulder pad.  You put the screw into the tripod hole and hang the strap over your shoulder and this puts the camera about on you hip and you hands are free to use another camera.

yihlee Contributing Member • Posts: 676
Re: Hammer it back.

(1) With masking tape, tape around lower part of camera body and base plate. Do not cover the gap.

(2) Lightly fill the gap with silicon gel (the kind for bathtub, boat, ...)

(3) Have another person hold your camera in upside down position.

(4) Put a piece of wood block on top of base.

(5) Hit it with hammer.

Details: Human hands as soft cusion; wood block for evenly distributed force and preventing scratch. It doesn't have to be wood, anything flat, hard would do. Never hit camera with hammer directly or you gonna have a deformed base, the direct imapct may cause damage inside. When the base is back to shape, silicon gel will be squeezed out, that's where masking tape is for. Let it dry overnight. It's good as new.

If you have friends with good craftmanship or precision tools, they may have even better ideas.

And remember: Tripod socket is for linkage, base plate is just bottom cover, neither of them are designed for stressfull job.

Thumbs, perfect aiming aid for hammer.

Couple things.

I visit this form almost daily but NEVER post until today.  I'm here today to warn others of a potential problem with the D-800 and not to do verbal battle with unin formed people who claim this couldn't happen.

Not being a frequent user I don't really know how to send a pix here.  Directly under the lens area I can stick the end of my scale into the gap and it gaps for about 3-1/2 inches along the front.  It is probably 1/16 of an  inch at the widest and I suppose I can cover that with electrical tape to keep the dirt out. 
   Whee  - an  almost brand new $3,000 camera held together with tape.  Yeah, I know I should have insured it.  Lets see I bought my first Nikon in 1968 and have had many cameras and lens since.  Now if insurance costs say $100 per year I would have spent $4,400 and this would be my first possible claim.  Dunno

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads