RX1 Night-time AF Test

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Discussions
SonyRX1 Contributing Member • Posts: 523
RX1 Night-time AF Test

Since there is so much talk about the RX1's AF performance, I shot a little video for you guys.

As you can see, it is very dark; probably too dark to be shooting without a tripod.

You can clearly see where the RX1 struggles, although it is unfair given the lighting.

Well anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words, so a video must be worth a million, enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKCXtvwi-D0&feature=youtu.be

SonyRX1's gear list:SonyRX1's gear list
Leica Q Sony a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sroute Senior Member • Posts: 2,497
Re: RX1 Night-time AF Test

Man, that's so slow. Awful.

(kidding of course)

Low contrast scenes in the dark - difficult. Contrasty - quick enough.

While watching your video noted another up on Youtube -- he did a couple of focus tests using the RX1 but it has NO CARD flashing on the screen. One commenter said their RX100 focussed slower without a card (hard to imagine...but...).

FYI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SUmFB_Q7kY

christy88 Junior Member • Posts: 27

nice! sorry for the hijack but whilst we are on the low-light topic, can you confirm if the flash can be tilted for bounce? i ve heard mixed messages and saw a non-production model with fixed flash..

OP SonyRX1 Contributing Member • Posts: 523

christy88 wrote:

nice! sorry for the hijack but whilst we are on the low-light topic, can you confirm if the flash can be tilted for bounce? i ve heard mixed messages and saw a non-production model with fixed flash..

Nope, the flash cannot be titled.

Leica Q Sony a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +1 more

sroute wrote:

Man, that's so slow. Awful.

(kidding of course)

Low contrast scenes in the dark - difficult. Contrasty - quick enough.

While watching your video noted another up on Youtube -- he did a couple of focus tests using the RX1 but it has NO CARD flashing on the screen. One commenter said their RX100 focussed slower without a card (hard to imagine...but...).

FYI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SUmFB_Q7kY

Saw the video, that's pretty much what the camera does.
When it struggles, it goes, comes back, goes again and you're finally focused.
Sometimes it takes 0.2 seconds, sometimes close to a full second.

The camera on the right laptop may be too close to focus (minimum focus distance is 30cm)

sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,408

Most of the time, when it is failing to grab focus it is doing so on a subject I'd never try and shoot in the dark (e.g., zero contrast road or wall). When there is contrast to be found then it locks in more quickly than I expected after reading some early reports. I think it's looks just swell. Thanks for the video.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 28mm F2 Rokinon 135mm F2.0 +4 more
cityathrt
cityathrt Regular Member • Posts: 127

That is a somewhat spectacularly loud AF motor though, when the camera hunts for focus. My pre-order is still in, but I am still a bit concerned about the AF.

It'd be great if you could do a companion day-time test!

OK I could do that, what do you want me to shoot?  There's a small park near my office, maybe I can walk over during lunch.

Anything other than indoor bookshelves!

A quick video will probably silence most of the AF doubters out there. Your in the dark video certainly gave me a sense that AF isn't going to be an issue with the camera.

LaFonte Senior Member • Posts: 2,866

As a ff camera, that focusing in night is fantastic actually.

I don't think my 5D would be able to lock focus half of the time... The RX1 sounded like a weird product when announced but more I read about it, more I like it.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T1 +2 more
oVan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,334

All this video does is show that the RX1 can focus in very dark situation. As it is a contrast-based focusing system, I find it normal that it hunts when shooting a flat white wall or a flat dark road.

Thanks for confirming that the RX1 AF is quite good in fact.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @ovan - Flickr: ovannovitch

oVan's gear list:oVan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony RX1R +1 more
jpatkinson
jpatkinson Regular Member • Posts: 409

SonyRX1 wrote:

Since there is so much talk about the RX1's AF performance, I shot a little video for you guys.

As you can see, it is very dark; probably too dark to be shooting without a tripod.

Cute. It's too dark to be AWAKE! It's a miracle any camera locked focus in this video.

jpatkinson's gear list:jpatkinson's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +2 more
Robert Garcia NYC Senior Member • Posts: 2,179

That was better than I expected. Thank you

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads