A Walk Around My City in China

Started Nov 18, 2012 | Discussions
MaartenSFS Contributing Member • Posts: 764
A Walk Around My City in China

The weather was perfect yesterday, so a friend of mine and I decided to do some photography

closer to home for a change. It has been on my to-do list for years, but I try to spend as much

time as possible in the mountains during the warmer months and hang around the city or go by

bus when it becomes too cold to drive a motorcycle for long distances. Enjoy.

The rubbish collectors making their rounds.

The modern and the ancient often clash in contemporary China..

I wasn't sure which version I prefered..

So you decide!

Part of a cool ceramic mural..

These very ancient stone tablets were probably transported to this school from another site and encased in cement.

One of the tablets is written in Mongolian script.

I decided to leave the power lines in as this is reality - and I was lazy at 23:00.

Probably the most creative scene we shot yesterday..

Large portions of the city are lit up at night and a romantic walk along the Liangjiang Sihu (两江四湖 - two rivers and four lakes) is one of the highlights of any visit.

I hope that these were pleasing to look at. Despite four months of absolute sh!te weather in the winter, Guilin is certainly a world class destination. More coming at some point. There are quite a lot of photoghraphic opportunities around..

-- hide signature --

- Cheers, Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker

in_focus
in_focus Forum Pro • Posts: 18,674
Re: A Walk Around My City in China

Lovely set, Maarten.. fine images all together.. really like the river shots, the water is to my liking, adding the special touch.. you mentioned winter weather, are you guys getting any snow for the season?.. good work, thanks for the tour ..

Best regards,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

Florida Nature Photographer Veteran Member • Posts: 8,111

I thought the boat on the river with the mountain in back was going to be my favorite until I saw the last one.

-- hide signature --

Florida

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +3 more
OP MaartenSFS Contributing Member • Posts: 764

I think that you have a water fettish. No, very rarely does it snow here, thankfully. It's just very rainy and between 0 and 10C. The reason it's cold is that the houses have no insulation or heating. =S

-- hide signature --

For me it was the tunnel until I saw the last one. Do you think the river boat shot worked even with the power lines?

-- hide signature --

Florida Nature Photographer Veteran Member • Posts: 8,111

I might not have even noticed they were there if you hadn't made mention of them. They are way off to the right from the central point of interest.

-- hide signature --

Florida

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +3 more

Great! That makes me feel better!

-- hide signature --

leerob
leerob Senior Member • Posts: 2,157

Excellent photos! Did you do a lot PP?

leerob's gear list:leerob's gear list
Leica C Leica X Vario Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 +4 more
ysal
ysal Veteran Member • Posts: 8,764

I think the shot of two towers (either version) is really interesting.

-- hide signature --

yuki

ysal's gear list:ysal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EOS 80D
Ronald A Yorko Contributing Member • Posts: 577

Really like the last night shot.  All were good and nice to view, thanks for sharing.

Ronald A Yorko's gear list:Ronald A Yorko's gear list
DxO Optics Pro Standard

Some. My workflow is (using Photoshoppe) turn down the exposure a tiny bit, further do that with levels, tweak the highlights, ever so slightly work on the colour balancing to get it closer to what my eyes saw and eliminate some noise, and perhaps increase or decrease saturation a little or apply a bit more sharpening. That said, this usually involves dragging the sliders no more than several points in any direction. I try to keep the look and feel of what I saw (natural).

After that I convert it to sepia tone (also using the sliders to adjust the "colours" just to see which version I like better or which gives the photo a more pleasing feeling. Some photos that were absolute sh!te turn into amazing B&Ws. I feel like working with the colours can really have a positive effect if one doesn't get carried away with it. Just tweaking them ever so slightly often gets rid of a most of the obvious noise and often results in an image that looks more like what I saw anyways.

-- hide signature --

I even used a 5.5 burst to catch Saruman falling. Glad you liked that shot. Still don't know which I prefer..

-- hide signature --

No worries mate. I hope to get a lot more shots of Guilin at night time now that I know how well this camera can handle the low light!

-- hide signature --

John Beavin
John Beavin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,174

Well presented, I prefer the colour shot and as for that last one, utter magic.Keep them coming.

John Beavin's gear list:John Beavin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Nikon Coolpix P520 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 +1 more

Thank you for your praise, but I can't take all the credit. A beautiful city and a great camera helped a lot.

-- hide signature --

windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 14,698

Thanks for the tour Maarten; terrific photography and interesting subject matter.  You never fail to provide a window into a part of the world  most of us will nevert experience but can gain insight from your wonderful images.  Thanks again.  Stuart

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
rkhndjr Forum Pro • Posts: 13,082

Thanks for sharing this excellent collection. It is a lovely area and you did a great job. I preferred the second version:-))

-- hide signature --
Pap38
Pap38 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,893

One great tour of the city! Fascinating area and seemingly filled with photo opportunities. Thanks for the post.

Pap

Pap38's gear list:Pap38's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS8 Nikon D5100 Nikon D60
DutchMate Veteran Member • Posts: 4,441

Very pleasant set of pics Maarten. I like these chinese pinetrees, different from the ones arround here.

-- hide signature --

maarten

Tootsall
Tootsall Senior Member • Posts: 1,471

Maarten, I always enjoy your photos and would be hard-pressed to say which type of scenes I prefer (they're all great).  You present a very wide variety of techniques and images.  Don't stop shooting and sharing!

-- hide signature --

"Kites rise highest against the wind - not with it." - Winston Churchill

Tootsall's gear list:Tootsall's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads