Diploma of Photography - need assistance with what camera & lens to purchase

Started Nov 17, 2012 | Questions
Louicia New Member • Posts: 11
Diploma of Photography - need assistance with what camera & lens to purchase

G'day Guru's,

I'm due to commence my photography studies next year and I need advise on what type of canon camera and lens to purchase.  Our only instructions were to bring a DSLR, lens (approx 35-75mm) and tripod!!!

So here is my delima...

I was considering purchasing the new 5d III however the camera shop assistance and local photographer suggest I buy the 60d, 7d or 5dII for the course and save the money to spend on better lenses. Their argument was over the next 2 years there will be many more camera's released with better technology than the 5dIII.

I need a camera and lens's to cover all aspects of photography whilst on course but at the end of the day I'd like to start my own business taking NB, maternity and family portraits both in a studio and outside on locations.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you can provide on a canon camera and the lens I should purchase.

Kind Regards,

Louicia

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mjones78 Forum Member • Posts: 92
Re: Diploma of Photography - need assistance with what camera & lens to purchase

I dont agree that its not worth buying a 5d mk3 as somethign better will come along. Thats like a Ford dealer saying "no put that £10,000 away as Ford will likely bring out a newer, sleeker model of this car in a couple of years..." No matter what you but something will come out later which is better, but if you put off buying on that basis youd wait forever.

The 5d Mk2 or 3 is  superb camera but expensive. If your a student then i think the 6d is a better bet. Save your money for future lenses is the best option. A cheaper camera body and decent set of lenses will be fine as youll bound to want a macro lens, etc. as your course progresses.

OP Louicia New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Diploma of Photography - need assistance with what camera & lens to purchase

mjones78 wrote:

I dont agree that its not worth buying a 5d mk3 as somethign better will come along. Thats like a Ford dealer saying "no put that £10,000 away as Ford will likely bring out a newer, sleeker model of this car in a couple of years..." No matter what you but something will come out later which is better, but if you put off buying on that basis youd wait forever.

The 5d Mk2 or 3 is superb camera but expensive. If your a student then i think the 6d is a better bet. Save your money for future lenses is the best option. A cheaper camera body and decent set of lenses will be fine as youll bound to want a macro lens, etc. as your course progresses.

Do you mean the 6D that is yet to be released or the 60d?

mjones78 Forum Member • Posts: 92

Either. depends on wheather you want a full frame sensor or not. if not then the EOS 7d is a good camera and if you want full frame the 6d is a comparitively low cost option.

Jim Cassatt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,865

If you only want to buy stuff once, first get a really good tripod.  I have a Manfrotto with two heads, one geared for precise work and a ball head for more general work.  The minimum cost for a good tripod and head is $500.00.  You will never have to buy another one.

Buy quality lenses.  You will never have to replace them

Body:  Canon's best lenses have focal length ranges that are most convenient for a full frame body.   If you can affort it go for the 5D MKIII.  If money is beginning to get tight, get the 5D MKII with the very good Canon 24-105 f4L.  I suspect you can get this for a good price now.

This combo will be fine for your studies and your proposed future use.

-- hide signature --

Jim www.pbase.com/jcassatt

Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Fujifilm X-E1 +24 more
Rational Regular Member • Posts: 335

1. Why is it pre-ordained that it be a Canon?

2.  If learning is the reason for getting a camera, get one that:

a) Has extensive full-manual functionality. Auto-everything teaches you nothing.

b) Has high enough resolution so that your results are limited by your skills and not by the limitations of the camera.

Rational's gear list:Rational's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D810
billythek Veteran Member • Posts: 5,260

Hmmm, you are a student, or rather, about to become a student.  And you hope to make a living in photography after you graduate.  But at present, you do not own a DSLR?  Red warning lights are starting to flash.

I have no idea about your financial situation, and you didn't volunteer it.  If you can afford a 5D3, it is a good camera.  A similar statement can be made about the 1Dx, or 7D, or even the current Rebel model, whatever that is.  But, you get what you pay for (approximately), and you can be sure that there will be better camera bodies in a few years.  My advice is, buy what you can comfortably afford now, and don't assume it will be the one camera you will be using for years to come.  Most pros have more than one camera body.  You can use this camera as your backup, or even sell it on craigslist if you decide you need something else, when the time comes.

Lenses hold their value longer than bodies, and you get more improvement in image quality by buying good glass than by buying a better body.  And, as someone else mentioned, don't waste money on buying a cheap tripod.

Good luck with your quest, and hope things work out.  It is a tough field to make a living in these days.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

billythek's gear list:billythek's gear list
DxO One Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM

billythek wrote:

Hmmm, you are a student, or rather, about to become a student. And you hope to make a living in photography after you graduate. But at present, you do not own a DSLR? Red warning lights are starting to flash.

I have no idea about your financial situation, and you didn't volunteer it. If you can afford a 5D3, it is a good camera. A similar statement can be made about the 1Dx, or 7D, or even the current Rebel model, whatever that is. But, you get what you pay for (approximately), and you can be sure that there will be better camera bodies in a few years. My advice is, buy what you can comfortably afford now, and don't assume it will be the one camera you will be using for years to come. Most pros have more than one camera body. You can use this camera as your backup, or even sell it on craigslist if you decide you need something else, when the time comes.

Lenses hold their value longer than bodies, and you get more improvement in image quality by buying good glass than by buying a better body. And, as someone else mentioned, don't waste money on buying a cheap tripod.

Good luck with your quest, and hope things work out. It is a tough field to make a living in these days.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your message, after 20 years in the armed forces I've decided on a quieter life on the land.  I'm working full time in a different field now and have always been interested in photography.  Some of the best pics I've taken are on my old pentax film camera.

I currently own a Nikon D90 but I'm more of a canon fan after starting my underwater photography using the G12.  Hence why i've been asking about the canon camera's as not many of our local photographers are willing to discuss what they own or use.

So at this stage photography will hopefully turn into a paid hobby, I understand it's very difficult to make a living out of it these days!

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,978
Learn First, Buy Later

If you are going to get a degree and already have a camera why not use what you have during your education?  You may learn something that will point you in the direction your career will take (which may be completely different than what you are currently considering) and that may dictate a completely different set of gear than anyone can suggest here.  By the time you graduate, there will be entirely new generations of gear out there to choose from.  Besides, training with less than state of the art equipment may force you to learn different approaches to get the results you want which could serve you well in the future.

alendrake Junior Member • Posts: 39

Louicia wrote:

I currently own a Nikon D90 but I'm more of a canon fan after starting my underwater photography using the G12.

You already own one great DSLR camera - D90. believe me there are no reasons to change from Nikon to Canon, just because you like G12.

I would suggest to stick D90 for now, and as other suggested, invest into lenses. For the price of 5D III you could have a nice set of lenses covering, for instance, wedding photography.

I was looking at a Canon purely on the basis that I'd be purchasing the 5d3 on completion of course and I didn't want to waste all my $$ now purchasing Nikon lenses if I'm going to make the switch in 12-24months time.

gdanmitchell
gdanmitchell Veteran Member • Posts: 7,730

Why don't you contact the school's photography department directly, or even contact one of the faculty members, and ask this question? I'm sure they get it frequently and have a good answer.

Dan

Hi Dan,

That was one of my first questions but the instructor said he was not allowed to recommend a brand of camera.  All he said was bring a DLSR, lens and tripod!

jerk store Junior Member • Posts: 42

mjones78 wrote:

The 5D Mark II or III are superb cameras, but expensive. If you're a student than I think the 6D is a better bet. Save your money for future lenses is the best option. A cheaper camera body and decent set of lenses will be fine.

As a future student of digital photography, this is what I'll be doing. I have shot with Canon gear for a couple of years, so I'm pretty familiar with the form factors of the bodies and lenses, as well as the user interfaces. I've liked what I've read about the 6D: full-frame, Wi-Fi, GPS, cheaper than a Mark III, etc., so that's the body I'll be using for class, along with some used L glass.

Press Correspondent
Press Correspondent Veteran Member • Posts: 3,345
So don't buy lenses or anything /nt

Louicia wrote:

I was looking at a Canon purely on the basis that I'd be purchasing the 5d3 on completion of course and I didn't want to waste all my $$ now purchasing Nikon lenses if I'm going to make the switch in 12-24months time.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +11 more
Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 18,373

If the specification didn't imply digital, I would suggest a Pentx K1000 with 50mm lens.

Rather than do that, though, I would pointo you to fredmiranda.com to look at the buy and sell forum. In my opinion, that is the best place to get good deals on used equipment. Get yourself a used Canon 5D (any version). It doesn't really matter what version you get, because you can sell again later if you like. Some of the disadvantages of the older models are actually good to experience first hand, I think.

In other words, I don't think you should be shopping for what you will be using after school. Your criteria for what you want after school could change during school. But that doesn't matter so much if you assume from the beginning that you can sell what you get now and buy what you really need later. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to use the equipment you will eventually be using professionally thoroughly before getting your first paying gigs.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel
http://victorspictures.com/blog
Also please check out my new game blog
http://swarmsgame.blogspot.com

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +12 more
Richard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,858
Buy what you want.

Louicia wrote:

G'day Guru's,

I'm due to commence my photography studies next year and I need advise on what type of canon camera and lens to purchase. Our only instructions were to bring a DSLR, lens (approx 35-75mm) and tripod!!!

So here is my delima...

I was considering purchasing the new 5d III however the camera shop assistance and local photographer suggest I buy the 60d, 7d or 5dII for the course and save the money to spend on better lenses. Their argument was over the next 2 years there will be many more camera's released with better technology than the 5dIII.

I need a camera and lens's to cover all aspects of photography whilst on course but at the end of the day I'd like to start my own business taking NB, maternity and family portraits both in a studio and outside on locations.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you can provide on a canon camera and the lens I should purchase.

Kind Regards,

Louicia

Why does APS-C exist? For those who cannot afford a FF.

I would purchase a camera based on what I want to work with for the next 3-5 years. I have a 10mp camera that is 6 years old and I still use it a lot. The fact that is has a good AF, 5fps, good body, has kept it in service, if it would have been a lesser camera, it would probably not be used today.

It sounds like you can afford a 5d3 and were planning to get one. Get it, it is a good camera. I would not recommend the 5d2 or original but look, people still use those cameras today so they are still viable. But I think the 5d3 will be more than sufficient for the next 5 year for sure even as a pro (unless you were a sports photographer, then you would choose a different camera.)

Get the 5d3 and a good lens.

I agree with the sales associates, do not buy a good camera like the 5d3 and cheap out on the lens. Good fast glass you will keep for much longer than the camera body and good glass is what  pro will use. Durability, quality, sharpness and usability flexibility.

To meet the requirement of your class with the 5d3, get a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens

In addition for the class... I would consider the Canon 50 1.2 (expensive), 50 1.4... 50mm fast glass for sure  I use the sigma 50 1.4

70-200 2.8 IS II for portrait

For differentiation a 85 1.2 or for better price 85 1.8  for portrait

The latter two are not needed for the class.

But what you did not tell us or the teacher did not tell you is if that focal length was on a FF or crop sensor. If it is for FF the 24-70 will be fine but if it is for crop, he is asking for 50-105mm. Oh well so much for assumptions try to find out.

But in the end, the point is get good glass over the camera, you will not sell it and if you do the lens will not depreciate as much.

If you cannot afford the good glass, then get a 7d or 60d and still get the good glass.

60d $1000, 24-70 2.8 ii $2200, 50 1.4  $229 Total $3500

Price of the 5d3 $3500

For your situation, buy the good glass first, then decide on which camera with the money you have left over. I could see why the sales associate would tell you in a couple years the cameras will get better if you were considering the better camera now and not getting good lenses. This is a common mistake of many starting photographers.

Will Patterson Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: Buy what you want.

If you can afford it, i would recommend getting a full frame model. I have had my 5d mk2 for over 4 years now and it's still great. I'd love a mk3 though can't afford it, though its low light capabilities would be very welcome.

Buy the best lens you can afford also and don't just go for a cheap one that covers the range, as a good lens will last you many, many years. Also try a few cameras in the shop as not everyone like the weight of a more professional camera.

Will Patterson's gear list:Will Patterson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
billythek Veteran Member • Posts: 5,260

Louicia wrote:

billythek wrote:

Hmmm, you are a student, or rather, about to become a student. And you hope to make a living in photography after you graduate. But at present, you do not own a DSLR? Red warning lights are starting to flash.

I have no idea about your financial situation, and you didn't volunteer it. If you can afford a 5D3, it is a good camera. A similar statement can be made about the 1Dx, or 7D, or even the current Rebel model, whatever that is. But, you get what you pay for (approximately), and you can be sure that there will be better camera bodies in a few years. My advice is, buy what you can comfortably afford now, and don't assume it will be the one camera you will be using for years to come. Most pros have more than one camera body. You can use this camera as your backup, or even sell it on craigslist if you decide you need something else, when the time comes.

Lenses hold their value longer than bodies, and you get more improvement in image quality by buying good glass than by buying a better body. And, as someone else mentioned, don't waste money on buying a cheap tripod.

Good luck with your quest, and hope things work out. It is a tough field to make a living in these days.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your message, after 20 years in the armed forces I've decided on a quieter life on the land. I'm working full time in a different field now and have always been interested in photography. Some of the best pics I've taken are on my old pentax film camera.

I currently own a Nikon D90 but I'm more of a canon fan after starting my underwater photography using the G12. Hence why i've been asking about the canon camera's as not many of our local photographers are willing to discuss what they own or use.

So at this stage photography will hopefully turn into a paid hobby, I understand it's very difficult to make a living out of it these days!

If it were me, I'd stick with the D90 through the course, and then buy something new afterwards.  You will have enough to learn without throwing a new camera into the mix.

On the other hand, if you want to use this as a reason to get new equipment (wink, nod), then the 5D3 is a good camera, as long as you can get a decent deal on it.  You might be able to get a good deal on a bundle with a 24-105, but not sure how well that will fit your pro ambitions.  It's a bit of a compromise lens.  I had a love/hate relationship with it before we parted ways.  If you have the cash, the 24-70 f/2.8 II, and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II are both great professional quality zoom lenses.  Many pros stick with primes, though, like the 50L, 85L, 135L, etc.

On the other hand, I've seen pro wedding and event photogs use crop cameras like the 7D or XXD, and still turn out good (if not spectacular) results.  A lot more depends on how you use the camera rather than what camera you use.

I'm not a pro, myself. This is just from observing and talking to guys who do make a living doing this stuff.

billythek's gear list:billythek's gear list
DxO One Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads