Canon 5D Upgrade

Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions
bennito42
bennito42 Forum Member • Posts: 60
Canon 5D Upgrade

I have had my Canon 5D (1) for 5 years and am thinkiing of upgrading/changing camera bodies. I am interested in the comparative image quality between the 5D , 7D and the latest 6D. The 5D Mk111 is unfortunately out of my price range, but maybe i  could stretch to the 5D Mark 11....Just don't know which way to go. Main interests are landscape, nature, and sports in that order. I currently own 17-40L, 24-105L and 70-300 USM Zoom lens.

Any suggestions / comments would be welcome

bennito42's gear list:bennito42's gear list
Agfa ePhoto CL30 Clik! Canon PowerShot G12 +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
yovwmon Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: Canon 5D Upgrade

bennito42 wrote:

I have had my Canon 5D (1) for 5 years and am thinkiing of upgrading/changing camera bodies. I am interested in the comparative image quality between the 5D , 7D and the latest 6D. The 5D Mk111 is unfortunately out of my price range, but maybe i could stretch to the 5D Mark 11....Just don't know which way to go. Main interests are landscape, nature, and sports in that order. I currently own 17-40L, 24-105L and 70-300 USM Zoom lens.

I can't speak to the 6D but I owned and used the 7D for several paid shoots and was rather upset with the vertical banding problem.  If you have not read about the vertical banding problem I strongly suggest you look into it.  Many blame the issue on poor exposure which can be the case at times, however I found it to be a huge issue when bring up shadow detail in post processing.  I now own the 5D II, there are things I miss from the 7D, the AF system, and ability to set auto ISO in manual mode top my list.  Overall the 5D II is a much better camera, there's something very magical about FF images, something the 1.6 crop just can't achieve.  I'd look into the 6D but you know the 5D II is a great camera if you want to make a quick move.

bennito42
OP bennito42 Forum Member • Posts: 60

Thanks for your response...  Thinking about it , I guess going back to anything but a full frame sensor would be a "backward move"  I'll think seriously about  the 5D Mark 11. I'm sure the IQ would be significant.

bennito42's gear list:bennito42's gear list
Agfa ePhoto CL30 Clik! Canon PowerShot G12 +2 more
canon person Senior Member • Posts: 1,570

I would STRONGLY suggest that you pick up a 5D2.  The price has dropped significantly and it is worth picking up.  I have one and have had better product with this camera than my medium format Zeiss Contax camera!  You will love the change and the fantastic IQ.  Good luck.

Canon Person

fhorn1 Regular Member • Posts: 133

Earlier this year I bought the 5D MkII with the 24 - 105mm from the UK Canon Outlet on Ebay with a one year manufacturer's warranty. The camera and contents of box looked unused (new battery etc).They still have this kit and the body alone. The kit looks particularly good value though, only £400 more than the body on its own. Is was going to sell the lens but really like the focal range so am keeping it.

I had a 5D before this but wanted the video capabilities of the 5D MkII so upgraded. I am very pleased with the camera and at the moment, at well under half the price of the MkIII I think this is a great value camera when purchases this way.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-21-1-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-24-105mm-Lens-Refurbished-/290812251553?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item43b5c2cda1

fhorn1's gear list:fhorn1's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Leica M-E Typ 220 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Leica Elmarit-M 21mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +3 more
SLLDPR Forum Member • Posts: 63

My 5D with its EF 24-105mm zoom seems so big and heavy and will soon be joined by a 6D. The image quality of the 5D for me is fine, but I want a better LCD and faster focusing, especially in low light, as well as tethering. I already have the ST-M 40mm lens. The 6D and ST-M 40 will give me a high-quality, acceptably small and lightweight combination for carrying around. The 6D will allow me to use my TS-E 24mm for indoor architectural work more easily. I'll likely replace the 24-105 with the new 24-70 F4 IS. Smaller and lighter is better.

Press Correspondent
Press Correspondent Veteran Member • Posts: 3,345

bennito42 wrote:

I have had my Canon 5D (1) for 5 years and am thinkiing of upgrading/changing camera bodies. I am interested in the comparative image quality between the 5D , 7D and the latest 6D. The 5D Mk111 is unfortunately out of my price range, but maybe i could stretch to the 5D Mark 11....Just don't know which way to go. Main interests are landscape, nature, and sports in that order. I currently own 17-40L, 24-105L and 70-300 USM Zoom lens.

7D is a downgrade. If you are happy with AF on 5D, you could get 5D2 for very little extra money after deals and rebates. Make sure to get one with the Canon warranty of the country you live in. (I am so frustrated with AF of my 5D after 5 years that I honestly wouldn't take 5D2 even for free.) 5D2 also has a bit darker colors than 5D or 5D3. Otherwise wait for 6D or switch to D600. Or ultimately save for 5D3 that already can be had for less than $2,500 after $500 printer rebate.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 18,693

The 7D and 6D would be an upgrade in every way....better build, AF, DR, resolution, etc.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads