nixda Veteran Member • Posts: 5,515
Re: X-E1 Tips and Settings

Rafy Sugiri wrote:

lxcellent wrote:

If shooting indoors:

Set to AUTO 6400 ISO.

Then set the shutter speed to 125

Then adjust f/stop to your liking.

Using this set up, the ISO will adjust to the lighting conditions and it will not allow the camera to drop to a lower than it should shutter speed (which it will if you keep it in ap priority).

It will not always work (i.e. the shutter speed will be too fast even at ISO 6400 and the image will be underexposed), but it usually works.

Will auto ISO work if you select speed to 125 and aperture to f/2.8 for example if you don't want to shoot with max. aperture ?

Did you try?

(yes, it does work)

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
IrishhAndy
IrishhAndy Contributing Member • Posts: 868

John Davis1 wrote:

I just received my X-E1 with the 35 f.14 lens and am wading through the manual. Many have already done this and also worked with the X Pro1. So I thought maybe it was a good idea to start a thread to collect tips and settings recommendations. If you have any please post here.

Thanks!!

-- hide signature --

John

Remove noise reducyion.

-- hide signature --

And death shall have no dominion.
Dead man naked they shall be one
With the man in the wind and the west moon;

Logidelic Forum Member • Posts: 58

My tip: Turn off image preview.

Originally I thought it was harmless because you can half-press to get out of it. However, even with the half-press, the camera is much slower at letting you get to the next shot when image preview is turned on. I was missing plenty of shots and getting annoyed. With image preview turned off, it's a much better experience.

nixda Veteran Member • Posts: 5,515

Logidelic wrote:

Originally I thought it was harmless because you can half-press to get out of it. However, even with the half-press, the camera is much slower at letting you get to the next shot when image preview is turned on. I was missing plenty of shots and getting annoyed. With image preview turned off, it's a much better experience.

That's a trade-off, in my experience. Being able to check whether I got the shot without having to go into review mode is worth it for me. I might miss some shots, but I also know sooner if I got the shot. IMO, putting that into the Q-menu and making it a custom-setting option would be great, so that one could switch more quickly.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Rafy Sugiri Regular Member • Posts: 213

nixda wrote:

Rafy Sugiri wrote:

lxcellent wrote:

If shooting indoors:

Set to AUTO 6400 ISO.

Then set the shutter speed to 125

Then adjust f/stop to your liking.

Using this set up, the ISO will adjust to the lighting conditions and it will not allow the camera to drop to a lower than it should shutter speed (which it will if you keep it in ap priority).

It will not always work (i.e. the shutter speed will be too fast even at ISO 6400 and the image will be underexposed), but it usually works.

Will auto ISO work if you select speed to 125 and aperture to f/2.8 for example if you don't want to shoot with max. aperture ?

Did you try?

(yes, it does work)

Cannot try it myself because now I shoot with nikon camera and thinking about switching to Fuji X.   But thanks for the reply.

drent Regular Member • Posts: 254

Right for street photography.

Logidelic Forum Member • Posts: 58

Logidelic wrote:

nixda wrote:

That's a trade-off, in my experience. Being able to check whether I got the shot without having to go into review mode is worth it for me. I might miss some shots, but I also know sooner if I got the shot. IMO, putting that into the Q-menu and making it a custom-setting option would be great, so that one could switch more quickly.

I totally agree, which is why I had it on originally. Coming from an SLR/OVF, this was actually one of the things I thought could help me become a better photographer (instant feedback about the photo once you take it).

However, I'd just like to be clear, that the delay here is greater than you might expect and I don't think there's any good reason for it. I consider it a bug. If it were just a matter of doing a half-press and being back in the normal real-time EVF, then I think it would be a normal trade-off, but as it is, it takes time to switch back to normal shooting, even after the half-press.

zephyr2013 Junior Member • Posts: 42

nixda wrote:

Logidelic wrote:

I would say it is good practice not to look at the screen or any image preview (especially the slow Fuji), just like when shooting with a film camera, especially in fast moving situations - like streets. sports, or a model who keeps changing her pose. You would waste time looking, some other scene might be happening while you are looking at the screen. Anyway, if missed, it was missed, can't do anything about it. Just keep on shooting, even if its the same scene, all you need is a good-size fast storage card.

Here's one guy who found out the hard way, I guess:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3358172

Of course, in slow sessions with lots of time, like shooting a flower, I would look at the screen sometimes

Amnon G
Amnon G Regular Member • Posts: 227

Logidelic wrote:

I second that. I do admit I have a bad habit to press the Play button more than I should, but that's just a bad habit I have.

Amnon G's gear list:Amnon G's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +4 more
JimMc Senior Member • Posts: 2,882

2005magnum wrote:

This is more of a personal preference then a tip. I prefer Negative High for color choice and am now shooting +2 in camera sharpening for jpeg.

Thanks, any other in camera settings recommended for the XE1. Different opinions.

JimMc's gear list:JimMc's gear list
Canon G1 X II
Scott Greiff
Scott Greiff Senior Member • Posts: 1,645

IrishhAndy wrote:

John Davis1 wrote:

I just received my X-E1 with the 35 f.14 lens and am wading through the manual. Many have already done this and also worked with the X Pro1. So I thought maybe it was a good idea to start a thread to collect tips and settings recommendations. If you have any please post here.

Thanks!!

-- hide signature --

John

Remove noise reducyion.

At first I was dubious about this.  It seems you can only dial down noise reduction, but my cursory tests indicate that this tends to not crush detail as badly in low-light.  Grain is good, right?? I may give this a serious try tonight.

-Scott

Scott Greiff's gear list:Scott Greiff's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma SD15 Sony a6300
nonicks Regular Member • Posts: 171

Amnon G wrote:

Logidelic wrote:

I second that. I do admit I have a bad habit to press the Play button more than I should, but that's just a bad habit I have.

Are you talking about the image display? I dont see image preview option on the menu.

nonicks's gear list:nonicks's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Indulis Bernsteins Regular Member • Posts: 470
Re: X-E1 Tips- adjust shutter speed in 1/3 stop increments

If you are using the shutter speed dial set to a particular speed (say 1/2000), you can get fine adjustments of 1/1600 and 1/1200 by using the left and right arrow buttons on the back of the camera.

Indulis Bernsteins's gear list:Indulis Bernsteins's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads