Metz 58 af 1 with em-5 ?

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions
Goffen
Goffen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,299
Metz 58 af 1 with em-5 ?

Anyone got this working remote in M or FP M ?

It worked fine with my e3. Tried it with my omd and it only fires when in (remote slave) AUTO or TTL mode. I like to use manual mode with multiple flashes and adjusting them individually from the camera.

I also upgraded the firmware to the latest today. Same result. The FL50-r behaves as expected.

Goffen

Goffen's gear list:Goffen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Pentax K-30 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +13 more
Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jeremy_T Senior Member • Posts: 1,224
Re: Metz 58 af 1 with em-5 ?

How are you setting it to "manual" mode? With my Metz 50 AF-1, I select "SL" on the flash and then I can control manual power on the body.

Does it simply not fire at all when you set it to M? And it does if set to TTL? Because that's really odd behavior. If the RC communication mode is working properly, I would expect it to work regardless of how the camera is deciding what power to request.

Are you sure you don't have it in "Servo" mode instead of normal Slave mode?

And are you sure you have the group/channel settings correct?

Jeremy_T's gear list:Jeremy_T's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II

Wow, I am sure this had worked for me before on the E-PM1, but I just tested the Metz 50 AF-1 with the E-M5 and it doesn't seem to work in M mode either! This is a major bummer!

I wonder if the Metz update caused a problem? Or if the E-M5 is incompatible for some reason?

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
Goffen
OP Goffen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,299

Jeremy_T wrote:

How are you setting it to "manual" mode? With my Metz 50 AF-1, I select "SL" on the flash and then I can control manual power on the body.

I try the same

Does it simply not fire at all when you set it to M? And it does if set to TTL? Because that's really odd behavior. If the RC communication mode is working properly, I would expect it to work regardless of how the camera is deciding what power to request.

Does not go off in  M  or FP M, fires in Ttl or auto.

Are you sure you don't have it in "Servo" mode instead of normal Slave mode?

Yes

And are you sure you have the group/channel settings correct?

Yes

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Pentax K-30 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +13 more

.... and, to further muddy the waters, it seems like the Metz 50 AF-1 only ever responds as if it's in group A! Set it to a different group, and it'll fire a TTL flash but not contribute to the exposure!

Boy this is wonky! Group A CH 1 at least works fine in TTL mode, but just about everything else seems messed up!

I am positive this flash worked fine on the E-PM1. It's hard to imagine nobody else has had trouble if this is a general problem with Metz flashes on the E-M5 - so perhaps it's the latest E-M5 firmware update? Can anybody else test?

Goffen

i updated the FW after i noticed the problem. The old firmware was the first with RC support.

What is the firmware on your E-M5? Mine is running 1.5. And it's really messed up!

I just double checked and the Metz 50 AF-1 *does* work properly when fired by the E-PM1. I can set it to manual, I can change groups. It all works just like it's supposed to. I even used the clip-in flash from the E-M5 on the E-PM1, and that worked fine too - so it's got to be something about the E-M5 body!

I suppose the recent E-M5 firmware could have broken compatibility with Metz flashes - either intentionally or accidentally? I only recently got the E-M5 myself so I don't know if this ever worked on earlier firmwares. I guess we should contact Metz support? Hopefully they will fix this!

It would be nice to have more confirmation!

rkeller Senior Member • Posts: 1,066

Jeremy_T wrote:

.... and, to further muddy the waters, it seems like the Metz 50 AF-1 only ever responds as if it's in group A! Set it to a different group, and it'll fire a TTL flash but not contribute to the exposure!

Boy this is wonky! Group A CH 1 at least works fine in TTL mode, but just about everything else seems messed up!

I am positive this flash worked fine on the E-PM1. It's hard to imagine nobody else has had trouble if this is a general problem with Metz flashes on the E-M5 - so perhaps it's the latest E-M5 firmware update? Can anybody else test?

I've posted about this before (as have a couple of other people I think.

I have a Metz 58 AF-2 with updated firmware. I still have my old E-PL1 as a backup and the Metz works perfectly in all RC modes with that. But the 58 AF-2, as described above, doesn't work in RC Manual mode with the E-M5 (and didn't before the latest Oly firmware update either), whereas it seems to work fine in RC TTL and Auto modes. I have not yet tested with other than Group A.

-- hide signature --

"If you simplify your English, you are freed from the worst follies of orthodoxy. You cannot speak any of the necessary dialects, and when you make a stupid remark its stupidity will be obvious, even to yourself." - George Orwell "Politics and the English Language"
"Unfortunately, in digital photography a lot of people are seeing pixels, not photographs ... Everyone together now: it's not the pixels. Sing it with me." - Thom Hogan
"If you pick up a camera with any sort of serious intent, you will at least occasionally need to use a flash. Done deal. Lock solid, Take it to the bank." - Joe McNally

Has anybody contacted Metz or Olympus about this issue yet?

I'm really disappointed to learn this as the Metz 50 AF-1 has been very good to me with other bodies.

Goffen

I'll try to do some more testing today. Just to verify that the fl50-r  really has no problems. If this is the case then the problem lies with the Metz'es and em-5 is within the spec of the protocol.

Does anyone know if Metz is a 4/3 member, or if they have simply reverse engineered the protocol ?

Goffen

rkeller Senior Member • Posts: 1,066

Goffen wrote:

I'll try to do some more testing today. Just to verify that the fl50-r really has no problems. If this is the case then the problem lies with the Metz'es and em-5 is within the spec of the protocol.

Does anyone know if Metz is a 4/3 member, or if they have simply reverse engineered the protocol ?

The FL-50R and FL-36R work as designed in RC mode with the E-M5 as far as I determined through numerous photo shoots. I am using the clip-on flash. Has anyone tested the Metz flashes with the FL-600R mounted in the hotshoe as the master?

-- hide signature --

"If you simplify your English, you are freed from the worst follies of orthodoxy. You cannot speak any of the necessary dialects, and when you make a stupid remark its stupidity will be obvious, even to yourself." - George Orwell "Politics and the English Language"
"Unfortunately, in digital photography a lot of people are seeing pixels, not photographs ... Everyone together now: it's not the pixels. Sing it with me." - Thom Hogan
"If you pick up a camera with any sort of serious intent, you will at least occasionally need to use a flash. Done deal. Lock solid, Take it to the bank." - Joe McNally

Goffen
Seems like it's a confirmed bug
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads