NEX-5N/7 firmware decrypted!

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions
Benarm
Benarm Regular Member • Posts: 176
NEX-5N/7 firmware decrypted!

http://www.nex-hack.com/topic/1125-second-wave-firmware-decryption/

http://www.nex-hack.info/

The release of modded firmware is obviously still months away, and there is still plenty of work to do, but its nice to see some progress on this project. Even some basic mods like increasing the bracket range for HDR, video bitrate, RAW HDR, would all be amazing.

Benarm's gear list:Benarm's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Apple iPhone 5s
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
adymitruk
adymitruk Contributing Member • Posts: 500
Re: NEX-5N/7 firmware decrypted!

Very happy to hear this! Hope it comes together soon.

adymitruk's gear list:adymitruk's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) +12 more
Kuturgan
Kuturgan Regular Member • Posts: 495

What a fantastic news for today!!!

Hope this project will be as successful as fo GH2.

My NEX-5n can't wait to be upgraded.

-- hide signature --

Don't take a picture, create!

Kuturgan's gear list:Kuturgan's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8
DtEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,447

Woot!

My firmware wishlist is:

• A wider bracketing range (at least a ±2 EV option), and...
  • The ability to use the remote with the other shooting modes, most notably the bracketing mode.

Both of these relatively simple functionalities are par for even bridge cameras like the Canon G11, so their omission from the second-gen NEXs were quite puzzling.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +13 more
straylightrun Senior Member • Posts: 1,440

Wow. That's awesome news. I can't wait to see all the potential stuff they can do with a modded firmware for a NEX-7

straylightrun's gear list:straylightrun's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V A3000 Sony Alpha a7S Canon EOS M10 Sony 35mm F1.4 G +8 more
npires
npires Senior Member • Posts: 1,611

straylightrun wrote:

Wow. That's awesome news. I can't wait to see all the potential stuff they can do with a modded firmware for a NEX-7

Is this going to happen for the two year old NEX-5 too? Hope so!

npires's gear list:npires's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +3 more
LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926
  • Limit on Auto ISO in steps...ISO 400, 800, 1250, 1600, 2000...etc...
-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

boardsy Senior Member • Posts: 2,215

npires wrote:

straylightrun wrote:

The NEX-5 was the first to be decrypted a little while back, but my guess is that if they've cracked the superior 5n & 7 our old 5 will be forgotten! Still, we'll have to upgrade at some stage, and the prospect of an expanded functionality hacked 5N or 7 is very exciting!

Alan

DuncanDovovan
DuncanDovovan Senior Member • Posts: 1,277

boardsy wrote:

npires wrote:

straylightrun wrote:

The NEX-5 was the first to be decrypted a little while back, but my guess is that if they've cracked the superior 5n & 7 our old 5 will be forgotten! Still, we'll have to upgrade at some stage, and the prospect of an expanded functionality hacked 5N or 7 is very exciting!

Alan

What I understood from the cracking process is that the focus was first on cracking the security. They talked about waves. They had to understand the 5 process to be able to crack the more difficult 2nd type of security on the 5n and 7.

Once the cracking is done, I'm not sure if the same developer will implement the changes, or if the community needs to come up with something. I believe the current developer only promised the actual cracking of the firmware.

-- hide signature --

I'm a peaceful person looking for clarity and harmony and willing to help. If you believe my post had the intention to harm you in some way, you are probably wrong. =;-) Please verify first before assuming something bad happened to you. I can be a bit too brief at times. =;-)

Peter Jonas Veteran Member • Posts: 3,291
Re: How did it go with the NEX-5

boardsy wrote:

The NEX-5 was the first to be decrypted a little while back ...

So what bugs were fixed or what additional functionality was developed for the Nex-5 by the hackers?

Was there ever any practical benefit to be had from having it cracked?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

Peter Jonas's gear list:Peter Jonas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more

Peter Jonas wrote:

boardsy wrote:

So what bugs were fixed or what additional functionality was developed for the Nex-5 by the hackers?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

No, i think it was just a proof of concept that a new version number could be loaded and unloaded  without bricking the camera. No-ones going to "improve" the current firmware as far as i know, but presumably open the possibility of creating alternative firmware with more options and control, like rockbox for MP3 players.

Alan

Peter Jonas Veteran Member • Posts: 3,291

boardsy wrote:

Peter Jonas wrote:

boardsy wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

No, i think it was just a proof of concept that a new version number could be loaded and unloaded without bricking the camera. No-ones going to "improve" the current firmware as far as i know, but presumably open the possibility of creating alternative firmware with more options and control, like rockbox for MP3 players.

Alan

So, if nothing ever happened to the NEX-5 in spite of having been cracked, what hope is there that any practical benefit will flow from hacking the 5N and the 7? It appears highly unlikely.

People are already posting their wish lists for now functions. I cannot understand the euphoria about it, but good luck to them anyway.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

Peter Jonas's gear list:Peter Jonas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,403

Peter Jonas wrote:

boardsy wrote:

Peter Jonas wrote:

boardsy wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

No, i think it was just a proof of concept that a new version number could be loaded and unloaded without bricking the camera. No-ones going to "improve" the current firmware as far as i know, but presumably open the possibility of creating alternative firmware with more options and control, like rockbox for MP3 players.

Alan

So, if nothing ever happened to the NEX-5 in spite of having been cracked, what hope is there that any practical benefit will flow from hacking the 5N and the 7? It appears highly unlikely.

People are already posting their wish lists for now functions. I cannot understand the euphoria about it, but good luck to them anyway.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

Check Canon's CHDK efforts, it started very similarly. Nowadays it is very feature rich, and it is kind of what gave us focus peaking (magic lantern). Add WiFi and interesting things can be done.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II +36 more

blue_skies wrote:

Peter Jonas wrote:

boardsy wrote:

Peter Jonas wrote:

boardsy wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

Alan

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

Check Canon's CHDK efforts, it started very similarly. Nowadays it is very feature rich, and it is kind of what gave us focus peaking (magic lantern). Add WiFi and interesting things can be done.

Exactly - the "euphoria" is about the prospect of the camera hardware getting accessed by independent developers (or hackers, lol) to open up all of its power to the end user, rather than have a restricted set of features provided by the Sony firmware. It takes time, but is a very exciting prospect.  Yay! \0/ (< euphoria emoticon ;-))

Alan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads