Is there a market for a digital panoramic camera?

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions
MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,466
Is there a market for a digital panoramic camera?

To me this seems like the one area from film that digital really hasnt moved into(besides that russian triple lens frankencamera), is it something you could see being sucessful?

Obviously digital has made stitching together panoramas far easier but there are still clear limatations when it comes to moving subjects, automation and composition.

At the very least I'd have thought someone would have given it a go with some kind of bridge camera, say a double width 1/1.7 sensor and an uwa zoom.

drh681
drh681 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,742
Re: Is there a market for a digital panoramic camera?

look up "gigapan" and VR photography.

also look at Photosynth, z-titch.

in your Adobe editor there is Photomerge

in your camera there may be a "stitch assist" mode or even in camera panorama building.

Nikon has added a "swipe panorama" to the one series camera if I recall the ad properly.

so yeah there is a market for panos, but not the way you are thinking.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

drh681's gear list:drh681's gear list
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lensbaby Composer Pro with Sweet 35 Optic Nokia Lumia Icon
jon404 Senior Member • Posts: 2,219

If you're thinking about nifty old cameras like the Widelux, where a 26mm lens pivoted on its axis to expose the scene... or the amazing 360° Globuscope... well, no. I doubt that we will see mechanical devices like that ever again. It's a lot cheaper to just step a digital camera from one frame to another as you move it around the top of a tripod... and you probably could sell a special self-leveling tripod with click-stops to make it easier to get the set of frames, that your software pulls together into the panoramic image.

Not half as good as the old film ones, though!

-- hide signature --

Jonathon Donahue -- Olympus XZ-1 tips at http://jon404.com

Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,274
Yes there is, just add water ....

stitching just can't cut it with that moving stuff !

Mind you, an 8mm budget lens can go almost 180 degrees,

so how wide do you want it ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha a7R Sony a77 II +19 more
drh681
drh681 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,742

they do sell all of that.

Look up Gigapan really. It's a system designed to replace those old pano cameras, only better.
http://www.gigapan.com/

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

drh681's gear list:drh681's gear list
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lensbaby Composer Pro with Sweet 35 Optic Nokia Lumia Icon
smokinjay Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: Yes there is, just add water ....

Check this out. http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/application/d438/d925/f934.cfm

-- hide signature --

In the midst of chaos I find peace

smokinjay's gear list:smokinjay's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 +12 more
chris_uk
chris_uk Contributing Member • Posts: 762

A digital version of the Hasselblad XPan would be an interesting development.

I think the film version sold pretty well so there must be a lot of owners out there with lenses who would love the opportunity to buy a digital version.

OP MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,466

smokinjay wrote:

Check this out. http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/application/d438/d925/f934.cfm

-- hide signature --

In the midst of chaos I find peace

There was I believe a Lindof 6/12 camera with a similar scan back although again they don't deal with the problem of moving subjects and obviously target an ultra high end market.

I'm thinking more an actual 2/1 or 3/1 aspect sensor.

Ron Poelman wrote:

stitching just can't cut it with that moving stuff !

Mind you, an 8mm budget lens can go almost 180 degrees,

so how wide do you want it ?

Its really less about width and more about quality given that you'll be cropping away 50% of your resolution to get a 3/1 aspect shot.

chris_uk wrote:

I think the film version sold pretty well so there must be a lot of owners out there with lenses who would love the opportunity to buy a digital version.

There was some talk of one earlier in the year if I remember although nothing seemed to come of it.

Didnt Fuji actually make the Xpan? perhaps if the X system ever moves beyond crop that might be worth considering? even say a smaller version with roughly the height of ASPC but the width of FF would be interesting to see it you ask me.

Andy Crowe Senior Member • Posts: 1,587
DSLR panoramic lenses

To me this seems like the one area from film that digital really hasnt moved into(besides that russian triple lens frankencamera), is it something you could see being sucessful?

Obviously digital has made stitching together panoramas far easier but there are still clear limatations when it comes to moving subjects, automation and composition.

At the very least I'd have thought someone would have given it a go with some kind of bridge camera, say a double width 1/1.7 sensor and an uwa zoom.

You can get panoramic lenses for DSLRs that take single shot panoramas, both 360 degree like this one

Which shoot images like this that can be processed into flat 360 degree panoramas and Anamorphic lenses that shoot much wider than regular lenses and squash that down to a regular rectangular image.

Using these you're losing some resolution, but DSLRs are high enough resolution now that you should get useful pictures from these kind of lenses.

deleted_081301 Senior Member • Posts: 1,862

MoreorLess wrote:

chris_uk wrote:

There was some talk of one earlier in the year if I remember although nothing seemed to come of it.

Didnt Fuji actually make the Xpan? perhaps if the X system ever moves beyond crop that might be worth considering? even say a smaller version with roughly the height of ASPC but the width of FF would be interesting to see it you ask me.

This Is what Hassleblad should have announced at Photokins a digital Xpan something unique NOT a re badged Sony at 9 times the price .....

I am sure Fuji could make one for them ......with a sony......panoramic sensor

deleted_081301's gear list:deleted_081301's gear list
Olympus C-4000 Zoom Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus E-300 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +5 more
dsjtecserv Veteran Member • Posts: 3,530

MoreorLess wrote:

It sounds like the Seitz Roundshot is precisely what you are describing (http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/intro.cfm).  The models with scanning backs shoot the scene in a continuous sweep, as did the 6 x 17 film panorama cameras. Intriguingly, this also avoids any problem with parallax error, because only one column of pixels is scanned at any given movement. On the other hand, getting into this method of making panos requires a significant financial commitment!

Dave

dsjtecserv's gear list:dsjtecserv's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +4 more

dsjtecserv wrote:

MoreorLess wrote:

It sounds like the Seitz Roundshot is precisely what you are describing (http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/intro.cfm). The models with scanning backs shoot the scene in a continuous sweep, as did the 6 x 17 film panorama cameras. Intriguingly, this also avoids any problem with parallax error, because only one column of pixels is scanned at any given movement. On the other hand, getting into this method of making panos requires a significant financial commitment!

Dave

Again though as with their regular 617 camera its an ultra high end piece of kit that can't handle movement and in this case also makes composition difficult.

Of course the kind of person to pays that amount probabley has the skill to get past such problems with composition but I think the majority of people who trumpt incamera or post stitching don't. Most stitched Pano's I see on the net look exactly like what they are, beyond extreme detail and a wide angle they tend to be compositionally uninteresting.

Beyond landscapes aswell I'v seen alot of very good street shots with the Xpan, something that can only really be achieved by cropping right now.

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,347

This would require a large sensor area and be produced in smaller numbers, so could would likely be in the same ballpark as medium format.    Medium format already gives you the option for extremely high resolution landscapes and wide angles of view.   All you would need to replicate the X-Pan is  to crop it to 2:1 format in photoshop.

I would also imagine that a 2:1 crop from from a D800 at 36MP taken with the 14-24 would still contain enough detail to beat an X-pan.

Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,274
Re: Check this out ...

Seriously impressive !

had a look at the edges of the river falls shot, very good.

End of thread basically, well done !

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha a7R Sony a77 II +19 more
unotisto Regular Member • Posts: 235
Something pretty recent
Vernon D Rainwater Forum Pro • Posts: 13,637

MoreorLess wrote:

Do you really believe there are enough people that would purchase such a Camera after considering the present flexibility of creating pano's.  Probably, (or maybe) 1 Camera user in every 1,000 or even a greater spread in the ratio.  Also, most Panos are NOT of action related subjects and this should change some if using such a pano camera but stills would probably have a far higher percent for most individuals.  Such a Camera would probably have limited versatility.

Whatever the ratio, cost would logically be rather expensive due to the comparable potential sales.  I certainly would not vote to produce one if I was in a Camera Mfgr Product design group.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,361

Well. . . I wouldn't buy one.  For me, it would be a special use camera of limited value.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +12 more
DaveOl
DaveOl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,235

If you don't want to do photo stitching, a lot of the p&s cameras do panoramas very easily.  I have a Samsung TL 350 that I took these pictures with.

I have a few more, but I would have to search through some folders to find them.  The resolution is not very great with this type of Panorama, but all you do is set it to panorama mode, hold the button down and pan from left to right.

DaveOl's gear list:DaveOl's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E2S
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads