Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
notenoughmegapixels New Member • Posts: 21
Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

http://www.43rumors.com/40-150mm-f2-8-olympus-lens/

If this is true, owning the Om-D and just having purchased the Pana 35-100mm F2.8, I'm a little upset.

Landscapephoto99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,736
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?
1

notenoughmegapixels wrote:

http://www.43rumors.com/40-150mm-f2-8-olympus-lens/

If this is true, owning the Om-D and just having purchased the Pana 35-100mm F2.8, I'm a little upset.

You can sell it, but it's a nice all around lens that is just a little wider than the Olympus fast telephoto zoom is likely to be.  I got the 75mm f1.8 and waited.  Oly is bound to do a fast standard zoom and a fast telephoto zoom.  I know from experience with regular 4/3rds that Oly zooms are worth waiting for.

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 21,868
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

The article says, "For the record, Olympus already has a 40-150mm zoom but that one has a f/4.0-5.6 aperture and by no means the same build and image quality of the upcoming new lens."

I disagree with this statement because I own this current 40-150, and it is one super-sharp great performing lens that exceeds any of the present Panasonic telephoto zooms. (with the possible exception of the newly available Panasonic 45-150. Granted, cheaper construction and plastic lens mount.

The new Olympus would by faster at f1.8 and would have a metal mount, and cost double the price. But not necessarily better image quality.

MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 1,567
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?
1

captura wrote:

The article says, "For the record, Olympus already has a 40-150mm zoom but that one has a f/4.0-5.6 aperture and by no means the same build and image quality of the upcoming new lens."

I disagree with this statement because I own this current 40-150, and it is one super-sharp great performing lens that exceeds any of the present Panasonic telephoto zooms. (with the possible exception of the newly available Panasonic 45-150. Granted, cheaper construction and plastic lens mount.

The new Olympus would by faster at f1.8 and would have a metal mount, and cost double the price. But not necessarily better image quality.

I agree that the 40-150/4-5,6 regarding IQ is an excellent lens, very sharp. I have got one myself. It is not badly built, but it has indeed a very plastic feeling. The good thing is that it is light, the bad thing that you have a feeling you have to be very careful when using it. I wouldn't mind a faster lens with equal or better sharpness, fixed 2,8 aperture, metal built and weather sealed. And a nice 2x extender as well!

 MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
peppermonkey Veteran Member • Posts: 3,832
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

captura wrote:

The article says, "For the record, Olympus already has a 40-150mm zoom but that one has a f/4.0-5.6 aperture and by no means the same build and image quality of the upcoming new lens."

I disagree with this statement because I own this current 40-150, and it is one super-sharp great performing lens that exceeds any of the present Panasonic telephoto zooms. (with the possible exception of the newly available Panasonic 45-150. Granted, cheaper construction and plastic lens mount.

The new Olympus would by faster at f1.8 and would have a metal mount, and cost double the price. But not necessarily better image quality.

It's better than the Panny 35-100mm?

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky, Olympus 35 RD
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

 peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Sigma DP2 Sony RX100 II Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,020
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?
1

captura wrote:

The article says, "For the record, Olympus already has a 40-150mm zoom but that one has a f/4.0-5.6 aperture and by no means the same build and image quality of the upcoming new lens."

I disagree with this statement because I own this current 40-150, and it is one super-sharp great performing lens that exceeds any of the present Panasonic telephoto zooms. (with the possible exception of the newly available Panasonic 45-150. Granted, cheaper construction and plastic lens mount.

The new Olympus would by faster at f1.8 and would have a metal mount, and cost double the price. But not necessarily better image quality.

The 40-150mm is good up to 100mm, bbe used at the long end it is getting quite softer. I like using it up to that focal and because it is very light for its range. What I like less is that the zoom extends to a considerable length which makes you very obvious when you use it.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

 rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha 7R II +4 more
Camp Freddy
Camp Freddy Senior Member • Posts: 1,695
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

rrr_hhh wrote:

captura wrote:

The article says, "For the record, Olympus already has a 40-150mm zoom but that one has a f/4.0-5.6 aperture and by no means the same build and image quality of the upcoming new lens."

I disagree with this statement because I own this current 40-150, and it is one super-sharp great performing lens that exceeds any of the present Panasonic telephoto zooms. (with the possible exception of the newly available Panasonic 45-150. Granted, cheaper construction and plastic lens mount.

The new Olympus would by faster at f1.8 and would have a metal mount, and cost double the price. But not necessarily better image quality.

The 40-150mm is good up to 100mm, bbe used at the long end it is getting quite softer. I like using it up to that focal and because it is very light for its range. What I like less is that the zoom extends to a considerable length which makes you very obvious when you use it.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

You will probably find it is camera shake which is softening the lens at longer focal legnths.

We would expect Oly to go for a different focal legnth coverage than panaleica. This could be a good seller, but longer would be probably better.

Expect also then a super wide fast lens from them too. That will be soft on the edges!!

-- hide signature --

================================
Enjoying Photography like never before with the E-450!
Images, photo and gimp tips:
http://olympe450rants.blogspot.com/
NORWEGIAN WOOD GALLERY
http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/888
Olympus' Own E450 Gallery http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/e450/sample/
"to be is to do" Descartes;
"to do is to be" Satre ;
............................"DoBeDoBeDo" Sinatra.
=============================

Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Veteran Member • Posts: 7,007
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

I'd certainly be in the market for this, if it ever arrives

 Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
dotborg Veteran Member • Posts: 8,250
It's too bad...
1

...that it won't come with a lens hood. That is, if the rumor turns out to be true.

MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 1,567
Re: It's too bad...

dotborg wrote:

...that it won't come with a lens hood. That is, if the rumor turns out to be true.

The lens hood for the 40-150 is ridicolusly expensive, in Sweden 400 kr (40 euro) for a piece of plastics. I found one at ebay for a third of that sum, including postage.

 MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
msedhom New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

It's a great lens. I have the the 12, 25, 45f1.8, and 75. I bought the 35-100 as I'm heading o/s and didn't want to keep swapping out my primes. The thing is, the 35-100 just came out, so I'm sure I can resell it for close to what I got it for anyhow.

I'll stay put and keep my eyes and ears opened.

g_r_w Regular Member • Posts: 385
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

notenoughmegapixels wrote:

If this is true, owning the Om-D and just having purchased the Pana 35-100mm F2.8, I'm a little upset.

I'm in the same boat, but assuming the rumour is true - I'm doubting that it will be as compact as the 35-100, I'm expecting it to be something more similar to the 100-300 in size.

I don't go over 100 that often and portability is still a key concern for me.

Not much can be done about it now anyway and still heaps of photos to be taken between now and January.

Guess we can all just hold our collective breath until tomorrow.

revio Senior Member • Posts: 1,441
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

@grw

"Guess we can all just hold our collective breath until tomorrow"

Tomorrrow, what says something happens tomorrow? Can´t see anything about a release date  the rumour page that was linked...

-- hide signature --

Aim & Frame

 revio's gear list:revio's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +4 more
Mark B UK Senior Member • Posts: 1,268
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

I think this lens could be well received if high quality and weather-sealed. Ideally there would also be a similar 12-50, only this time a 2.8 with premium performance. Or perhaps even a 10-50, performing a similar role as the 40-150 in extending the zoom range compared with the nearest Lumix 2.8 X.

 Mark B UK's gear list:Mark B UK's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
msedhom New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

Olympus are officially releasing the 17mm tomorrow.  Let's hope they announce this other lens too.

g_r_w Regular Member • Posts: 385
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

revio wrote:

@grw

"Guess we can all just hold our collective breath until tomorrow"

Tomorrrow, what says something happens tomorrow? Can´t see anything about a release date the rumour page that was linked...

-- hide signature --

Aim & Frame

Sorry - read the article while I was at the gym.  Misinterpreted what was explicitly written, but hopefully they will take the opportunity to put us out of our misery.

Not sure I can hold my breath beyond tomorrow.

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 21,868
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

Camp Freddy wrote:

rrr_hhh wrote:

captura wrote:

The article says, "For the record, Olympus already has a 40-150mm zoom but that one has a f/4.0-5.6 aperture and by no means the same build and image quality of the upcoming new lens."

I disagree with this statement because I own this current 40-150, and it is one super-sharp great performing lens that exceeds any of the present Panasonic telephoto zooms. (with the possible exception of the newly available Panasonic 45-150. Granted, cheaper construction and plastic lens mount.

The new Olympus would by faster at f1.8 and would have a metal mount, and cost double the price. But not necessarily better image quality.

The 40-150mm is good up to 100mm, bbe used at the long end it is getting quite softer. I like using it up to that focal and because it is very light for its range. What I like less is that the zoom extends to a considerable length which makes you very obvious when you use it.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

You will probably find it is camera shake which is softening the lens at longer focal legnths.

We would expect Oly to go for a different focal legnth coverage than panaleica. This could be a good seller, but longer would be probably better.

Expect also then a super wide fast lens from them too. That will be soft on the edges!!

I am using my Oly 40-150 on an EPL-1 so I'm not getting any blur, what with IBIS on the camera. It seems sharp right up to 150. And I have a steady hand.

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 21,868
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

peppermonkey wrote:

It's better than the Panny 35-100mm?

-- hide signature --

Hubert

no.

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 21,868
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

MatsP wrote:

I agree that the 40-150/4-5,6 regarding IQ is an excellent lens, very sharp. I have got one myself. It is not badly built, but it has indeed a very plastic feeling. The good thing is that it is light, the bad thing that you have a feeling you have to be very careful when using it. I wouldn't mind a faster lens with equal or better sharpness, fixed 2,8 aperture, metal built and weather sealed. And a nice 2x extender as well!

Even if it breaks, what with the plastic mount and all, it's cheap to replace. But I'd avoid the regular use of those cheap telexteders. They can really degrade picture quality.

William Castleman Regular Member • Posts: 446
Re: Olympus 40-150mm F2.8?

notenoughmegapixels wrote:

http://www.43rumors.com/40-150mm-f2-8-olympus-lens/

If this is true, owning the Om-D and just having purchased the Pana 35-100mm F2.8, I'm a little upset.

The 40 – 150 will be sufficiently larger than the 35 – 100 That there will still be sufficient interest in both lenses to make money.  It would be more exciting to me if Olympus made a 35 – 100 f/2 lens.

-- hide signature --

William Castleman http://www.wlcastleman.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads