Manual lenses on Sigma SD15

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Questions
vlad2304 Regular Member • Posts: 387
Manual lenses on Sigma SD15

I used probably the last opportunity and bought new Sigma SD15 with 18-50/2.8-4.5 lens for 350 Euro. I was lucky and this combo produces very nice sharp images.

I have M42-Sigma SA adapter and as I am in Russia there are a lot of cheap manual lenses for M42 bayonet here.

My question is:

- is it troublesome using manual focus lenses on SD15 (correct focusing and aperture settings)?

- what lenses will you recommend basing on your experience?

I will be appreciate your advice.

Thank you,

Vladimir

vlad2304's gear list:vlad2304's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Canon PowerShot G5 X Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sigma SD15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
atom14
atom14 Senior Member • Posts: 2,192
Re: Manual lenses on Sigma SD15

Hi Vlad. You should be right with manual lenses, if they are of good IQ.

Yes, focusing is slow without AF, but then...

My only Sigma lens is 1 30mm/1.4, and I had to do some micro-AF adjustment on it for the SD1M. Otherwise, I use the following manual, ex-35mm camera lenses, in order of frequency...

75-205mm/2.5 with macro (on a par with the usage of the 30/1.4)

500mm Tamron mirror lens

100mm/2.5 Tamron

400mm refractor.

They are all good.

atom14.

PS: The Tamrons use a Pentax-K Adaptall2 mount with the aperture actuator lever removed and the remaining mechanism jammed open to keep the lens aperture working. The 400mm uses a screw-on Pentax-K adapter. The 75-205 uses a screw on Sigma SA adapter kindly supplied by "jrdigitlart".

Any Pentax-K lens without a protruding back lever will fit the SA mount.

OP vlad2304 Regular Member • Posts: 387

Thank you!

Sigma dp2 Quattro Canon PowerShot G5 X Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH
lovrolove New Member • Posts: 1

vlad2304 wrote:

I used probably the last opportunity and bought new Sigma SD15 with 18-50/2.8-4.5 lens for 350 Euro. I was lucky and this combo produces very nice sharp images.

I have M42-Sigma SA adapter and as I am in Russia there are a lot of cheap manual lenses for M42 bayonet here.

My question is:

- is it troublesome using manual focus lenses on SD15 (correct focusing and aperture settings)?

I will be appreciate your advice.

Thank you,

Vladimir

Hello,

this is my first post here, but I ve been reading this forum for some time and will share what I learned about m42 lenses on Sigma camera. I have Sigma SD15 for five months now and I m still learning. Like you I found out that I can use m42 lenses on it and because I had some old lenses from my father I bought adapter and tried them on my camera.

Focusing can be hard sometimes, specially in bad light conditions or with tele lenses. But with practice your focus gets better

I set camera to A mode and aperture to 1.0 - at this setting light metering is mostly OK.

Some Russian lenses are really nice. I have helios 44-2 and jupiter 21. Helios is interesting lens, I like the felling of pictures  taken with it. Examples:

helios 44-2

helios 44-2  + macro  tubes

Other m42 lenses that I have are:

pentacon electric 2.8/29

pentacon electric 2.8/29

auto rikenon 1.4/55.

auto rikenon 1.4/55

I found lots of information about non Sigma lenses on Sigma cameras on this site: http://web.archive.org/web/20110706145829/http://www.foto.nordjylland.biz/SD14/SD14-NonSigmaLenses.htm  - original page is off line now, this is archived
Good place to get information about m42 lenses is forum at: http://forum.mflenses.com/

Have a nice day,

Lovro

Sigmagus Regular Member • Posts: 265

Hi Vladimir!

You can find a lot about Russian lenses at "ru.wikipedia.org". Jusk ask for "Гелиос объективы" or any other name and learn about each modification. Good luck!

Best,

Oleg Gusev

--> LSN Senior Member • Posts: 1,309

What's old is new again. Some of us here have been adapting M42 lenses to our Sigma cameras for nearly 10 years! This forum should be full of many examples. I've taken some terrific shots with a Russian Industar 50mm/3.5 - look for one with an older arrow logo on the lens. The Jupiter 9 (85mm/f2) can also yield wonderful results if you have a good copy of this lens (and if you nail the focus). I have some M42 images in my pbase galleries. I've been wanting to add the Jupiter 6 to my collection for some time but other priorities have won out... for now.

-- hide signature --
DaSigmaGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 12,308

vlad2304 wrote:

My question is:

Not once you get used to it...I actually prefer using MF to using AF with the SD10 and SD14, because of their pitifully slow AF speed compared to their competitors, and the totally unreliable focus lock which allows the lens to continually hunt for focus, focussing manually actually works out to be a lot faster in practice!

Loads, but alas only a few from Russia...The Helios 40-2 85mm f1.5 is definetely worth having as its very usable wide open and is great for taking portraits.  Its only flaw is that it can have "swirly" bokeh at certain focus distances in shots with detailed OOF backgorunds.  I hear good things about the bokeh quality of some of the longer Tair's though.  However, you will usually get better quality from East German made soviet era M42 lenses (Carl Zeiss/Pentacon/Meyer Optik etc), and even better quality from Japanese or West German made M42 lenses.  I say usually because there will obviously be exeptions, its just a matter of finding them.

DaSigmaGuy's gear list:DaSigmaGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 Samsung Galaxy S7 Samsung Galaxy S9 +25 more
guzzibreva1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,072

The down side of the SD15 is TTL  flash exposure will not work with a manual lens.

The SD14 does work properly with manual lenses.

mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,878

guzzibreva1 wrote:

The down side of the SD15 is TTL flash exposure will not work with a manual lens.

The SD14 does work properly with manual lenses.

Mine does. I use my SD15 with M42 lenses and ttl flash all the time without problems with both the built-in flash and the 610 Super.

As for M42 lenses I've done a few tests here: http://www.pbase.com/mikeearussi/pentax_m42_lens_tests

guzzibreva1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,072

With my SD14 I can leave the camera setting at F1 and the exposure is correct regardless of lens aperture. With the SD15 the camera has to be set to the same aperture as the lens.

It must be part of the problem why the older EF 500 flash will not work on the SD15.

Ines
Ines Regular Member • Posts: 281

I use lenses with M42 connection. Trioplan and the Tair 11A at SD 15 and SD 14. No problem! But I focus manually anyway for all lenses and always.

greetings,

ines

-- hide signature --

Nature and Landscape Photography
http://www.inesmondon.de

Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,728
Re: Helios 44M

Hi Vlad,

The Helios 44M-X lenses are nice, where X is a digit telling the sharpness of the lens.

A 44M-6 or 44M-7 are very good, 44M-4 is not bad either.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Helios-44

One thing you have to look out for when buying M42 lenses is that some lenses only have auto mode. In that case it assumes the the camera will close the aperture when taking the image, something your Sigma camera wont do. If the lens is only auto, then you can only use it at full aperture, or you have to mechanically fix the lens so that it always is stopped down. Not fun.

But, most lenses have a switch for choosing A/M. In that case you are safe. Some older lenses also are manual only. Those you also can use.

I have a 44M-7 that has an A/M switch, a 44M-6 that is auto only, a 44-2 that is manual only, a 44-3 that is manual only and also a 44K-4 that is a K mount version The 44M and 44K lenses are very good.

I am collecting Pentax stuff, so I have some K and M42 lenses.

-- hide signature --
 Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
OP vlad2304 Regular Member • Posts: 387
Re: Helios 44M

Thank you for your comments!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads