Einstein firmware update question

Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions
Carl S Contributing Member • Posts: 944
Einstein firmware update question

Has anyone had trouble updating their Einstein to version 30? I had Buff's customer support send me a pre-loaded micro SD card with firmware version 30 (nice of them). I followed the instructions exactly, inserting the card with the gold contacts face down and facing the rear of the Einstein. When I plug the cord in, before turning the unit on, nothing happens. The screen does not turn white and start flickering like it is supposed to do. I tried this on both of my Einstein units and the same thing happens.

Today I purchased a micro SD card reader and downloaded the firmware update thinking the original file was corrupt but the same thing happens, the Einsteins do not recognize anything being on the cards and the files are ON the card. I called Buff after the first try with the pre-loaded firmware and their software guy said to try turning the unit on and going to diagnostics and then to bootload and check the contents of the card. It showed nothing. He said I might have to send the units in which I don't really want to do because they both work perfectly.

So all I'm asking, has anyone else experienced this or had trouble updating to version 30? Thanks for any feedback.

Carl

bills_pix
bills_pix Contributing Member • Posts: 544
Re: Einstein firmware update question

I had no trouble updating both of mine using a 2gb card.  It is certainly worth the upgrade since the fan speed is now based on how warm the unit is.  Most of the time I find I can't even hear the fan which is a welcome benefit.

Are you 100% sure you are following exactly the directions here:

http://www.paulcbuff.com/fw-e640.php

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

'There is only one success - to be able to spend your life your own way.' -- Christopher Morley

bills_pix's gear list:bills_pix's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
OP Carl S Contributing Member • Posts: 944

bills_pix wrote:

I had no trouble updating both of mine using a 2gb card. It is certainly worth the upgrade since the fan speed is now based on how warm the unit is. Most of the time I find I can't even hear the fan which is a welcome benefit.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply, yes I'm 100% sure I followed the instructions exactly.

shacharm Regular Member • Posts: 390

Carl,

I've upgraded my E640's a few weeks ago, and ran into a similar issue. The problem is the microSD card sometimes doesn't lock down all the way in the slot. After a few attempts (using a pen tip) I was able to push it in enough to lock. The flash recognized the card at that time and the upgrade was completed with no issues. Taking the card out again required the object pushed into the slot to click the card in.

Hope this helps.

Shaq

Carl S wrote:

Has anyone had trouble updating their Einstein to version 30? I had Buff's customer support send me a pre-loaded micro SD card with firmware version 30 (nice of them). I followed the instructions exactly, inserting the card with the gold contacts face down and facing the rear of the Einstein. When I plug the cord in, before turning the unit on, nothing happens. The screen does not turn white and start flickering like it is supposed to do. I tried this on both of my Einstein units and the same thing happens.

Today I purchased a micro SD card reader and downloaded the firmware update thinking the original file was corrupt but the same thing happens, the Einsteins do not recognize anything being on the cards and the files are ON the card. I called Buff after the first try with the pre-loaded firmware and their software guy said to try turning the unit on and going to diagnostics and then to bootload and check the contents of the card. It showed nothing. He said I might have to send the units in which I don't really want to do because they both work perfectly.

So all I'm asking, has anyone else experienced this or had trouble updating to version 30? Thanks for any feedback.

Carl

-- hide signature --

Shaq
www.shaqphotography.com - Commercial Photography
www.GoSeePhotography.com - Lifestyle Photography

Thanks Shaq, I will give that a try.

Carl

shacharm wrote:

Carl,

I've upgraded my E640's a few weeks ago, and ran into a similar issue. The problem is the microSD card sometimes doesn't lock down all the way in the slot. After a few attempts (using a pen tip) I was able to push it in enough to lock. The flash recognized the card at that time and the upgrade was completed with no issues. Taking the card out again required the object pushed into the slot to click the card in.

Hope this helps.

Shaq

Carl S wrote:

Carl

kenyee Senior Member • Posts: 1,522

he problem is the microSD card sometimes doesn't lock down all the way in the slot. After a few attempts

I was going to guess this as well...sounds like the card isn't pushed in all the way...you should feel/hear a click...

kenyee's gear list:kenyee's gear list
Pentax K20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
Frank Garcia New Member • Posts: 17

kenyee wrote:

he problem is the microSD card sometimes doesn't lock down all the way in the slot. After a few attempts

I was going to guess this as well...sounds like the card isn't pushed in all the way...you should feel/hear a click...

I had similar issue when using the unit power switch. Unpluging/pluging the power cord resolved my issue.

Yes the problem has been solved. I could not get the card in all the way by pushing it in with my finger. I had to use a pen as suggested here to push the card in enough so it could be read. Thanks to all who responded.

Carl

Paul T. Klein Contributing Member • Posts: 561

i am having the same problem.  Question to those who have been successful - When the card is in, is it flush with the top of the cover or below the surface?

Paul

Paul T. Klein wrote:

i am having the same problem. Question to those who have been successful - When the card is in, is it flush with the top of the cover or below the surface?

Paul

Mine was below the surface, thus the need for the pen. You will hear a reassuring "click" when it is in.

Carl

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads