Where’s Aperture 4?

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Where’s Aperture 4?

I've been away for months and get back to find people still talking about Aperture 3. Where’s 4? Any genuine signs of it?

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +7 more
drhollett Contributing Member • Posts: 517
Re: Where’s Aperture 4?

There has been a John Lewell book "Apple Aperture 4Unleashing Your Photo Workflow" that has had 3 different release dates.  The first one was early July, then pushed back until mid Oct and when i just googled it i found Dec 13, 2012.  I'm hoping Aperture will finally but updated to version 4 by then. The only 2 things i would like is better noise reduction and lens corrections.  I moved from lightroom when i updated my black MB to a 2011 MBP a few months ago (picked up a good deal on refurbs) because I like the workflow better in aperture.  But if apple doesn't start showing signs of a version 4 update I may switch back as Aperture was due an major update about 6-8 months ago.  On top of that I can get better pics with LR because of the NR and lens correction.  I made the move because of all the version 4 rumours this past summer.  Fingers crossed.

Doug R Senior Member • Posts: 1,471
which will come first..

New Mac Pro or Aperture 4?

-- hide signature --

Doug

Alpha Doug Veteran Member • Posts: 9,222
Re: which will come first..

I'm just guessing, but I think something like the following happened.  First of all, Apple had to update Aperture a couple of times during this year in order to track the introduction of new hardware, and they also found a way to make iPhoto and Aperture libraries play nice with each other.  They updated some of the tools, like the Shadows and Highlights tool for better operation.  In fact, 3.4.1 is actually a fairly substantial update from the original 3.0 all for no charge.  We also have substantial evidence that Apple hired a bunch of new programmers early in the year to work on Aperture related issues.  My guess is that when it comes out, it will be a fairly major update, and that there may be some sort of iPad companion app.  If, indeed, they are going to add a lens correction tool, that is not insignificant work, and would require a major amount of effort.  Simply adding a manual lens correction would be a lot easier, and beefing up the noise reduction (hopefully using a "smart" algorithm) also would not be a major undertaking.  So I'm thinking that something major is what is holding it up.  Like you, hoping for an update soon, but I'm good with them getting it right to begin with.  We've suffered through some fairly major misses with Aperture from time to time.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-} www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,308

Hen3ry wrote:

I've been away for months and get back to find people still talking about Aperture 3. Where’s 4? Any genuine signs of it?

There have been 9 updates to Aperture this year so far, and at least two of those brought a whole bunch of significant new features (for free!).  Why are you so keen for Apple to label these updates as "version 4" and charge us for the privilege?

Mike Boreham Senior Member • Posts: 1,578

Mouser wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

There have been 9 updates to Aperture this year so far, and at least two of those brought a whole bunch of significant new features (for free!). Why are you so keen for Apple to label these updates as "version 4" and charge us for the privilege?

In my case, Lens Corrections....I would happily pay for Lens Corrections like Lightroom has.

bondiblue Contributing Member • Posts: 888
Corrections for distortion and perspective (keystone)

I'm getting tired of waiting for Apple to add features to Aperture that other apps have had for years.

I can only conclude that Aperture is still only intended for amateurs.

bondiblue's gear list:bondiblue's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 II +4 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,308
Re: Corrections for distortion and perspective (keystone)

bondiblue wrote:

[snip]  I can only conclude that Aperture is still only intended for amateurs.

Wrong.  Going back to the Aperture 1.0 announcement:  
"Designed from the ground up for professional photographers, Aperture provides everything you need for after the shoot, delivering the first all-in-one post-production tool for photographers" (it also originally cost $499).

http://web.archive.org/web/20051024035246/http://www.apple.com/aperture/

Having said that, who cares who it is intended for as long as it does the job for you?  If it doesn't do what you need, then don't buy it.

Some of Apple's recent leaks lead me to believe that they have realized that Hoyt having an easy "upgrade" feature in the App Store is a problem, and that they are working on a fix.  That said, the price for Aperture is so ridiculously low that you would probably not spend more than other programs.  And as to features I'd like to have such as lens corrections, my camera (Sony A77) has built in lens corrections (as do many CaNikon and others) plus I use a plugin called "PTLens" for the occasional image that needs things like Keystone correction.  I also use "nik Dfine" for images that need more and smarter noise correction than Aperture is capable of. On the other hand, if you know how to use both the Camera RAWFine Tuning controls as well as the Noise Reduction controls, Aperture actually does quite a nice job of Noise correction.  Bottom line-would I like to have those as built in, non-destructive controls?  Yes.  But I would not switch to another program that does not have the smooth integration with the rest of OS X, the class leading Asset Management, the easy to work with Multi-Media Slideshow capability, the Professional Book Layout capability, and the unmatched Full Screen editing mode.  ( Yes, I know you can blow away the side panels with "shift-tab" then lower the background intensity in Lightroom -  not even close to the same thing).

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-} www.dougwigton.com/

Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more

Sorry, my iPad "corrected" the word "not" into "Hoyt"?

-- hide signature --

kb2zuz Veteran Member • Posts: 3,203
Trick question

There will be no new Mac Pro.

-- hide signature --

\~K

kb2zuz's gear list:kb2zuz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Epson Stylus Pro 4880 +6 more
graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,772
Re: which will come first..

Doug R wrote:

New Mac Pro or Aperture 4?

There is no question Aperture will come first. The reason is what Tim Cook said this year : "Although we didn’t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today’s event, don’t worry as we’re working on something really great for later next year."

"...later next year" is what he said.

Meaning later in 2013. Unless Apple is planning on a very very late Aperture release closer to 2014, Aperture will probably be updated before another pro Mac shows up.

Hen3ry
OP Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Lens correction is not rocket science

Doug, you cite your use of PTLens. I use its brother program, Kekus LensFix CI which uses the same database. This database is basically the work of one man I understand -- who has now stopped upgrading it because of the lack of reward. To build that into Aperture with the resources Apple has should be a doddle. They could hire the bloke for starters!

Incidentally -- a /great/ plug-in; I use it in PhotoLine.

i do like the person who cited Apple's puffery when they launched Aperture about how it was /the/ compleat pro program. It wasn't and it isn't! Lack of even manual lens correction tells us all that. What we want, Apple, is more action and less puff.

Cheers, geoff

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +7 more
Re: Lens correction is not rocket science

Geoff,

you have to take into context what was available when Aperture was first released.  There were no existing "workflow" programs.  Those of us who were working professionally with a high volume of images, especially when shot in Raw format usually had a workflow of manually importing images from our cards into a folder hierarchy of our own invention, then we process do basic Raw processing in a Raw specific program ( Photoshop Raw processing at that time was pretty much a joke).  We would save out the Raw conversions as Tiffs to Jpegs In a separate folder stack, then we would open images into Photoshop for any further processing and save the final images into a further separate folder stack.  At the time Aperture was released, it was revolutionary and transformational.  It was released  a full year before the Beta of Lightroom hit the streets.  Has Apple made some mistepps and errors during the gestation of Aperture?  Of course.  But you cannot deny it's initial impact on professional photography.  And many famous professionals still use it, and Apple has continued to develop the program into an ever better product.  It is also important to recognize that many important features that have been added to Lightroom over the years existed in Aperture way before tey showed up in Lightroom.  For instance, Collections, soft Proofing, Video Capability, etc.  so, just because thou personally found Aperture opaque, and not at all to your liking, it is incorrect to denigrate out as not being significant in the development of more capable Professional software.  For sure, try out different software and use whatever you like best (Photoline?).  But recognize that there are other software packages that thousands of other photographers find useful.

-- hide signature --

Hen3ry
OP Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Re: Lens correction is not rocket science

Hey Doug, it still didn’t and doesn’t have lens correction. Kind of basic (even though I am personally of the opinion that Olympus, for example, is being derelict in not fully correcting their lenses in camera to say nothing of paying no attention at all to CA in the m43 format -- and I'm an Olympus m43 owner and pro user).

Cheers, geoff

Dismayed Contributing Member • Posts: 694
Re: Trick question

kb2zuz wrote:

There will be no new Mac Pro.

Nice forecast!  Got any stock tips for us?

-- hide signature --

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Dismayed's gear list:Dismayed's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads