P7700 users please help. ?Faulty on/off button

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions
KennethKwok Contributing Member • Posts: 998
P7700 users please help. ?Faulty on/off button

I just bought a P7700 yesterday.

I fully charged the battery.

Yet, when I press the on/off button, sometimes it turns

on immediately, sometimes it does not.

I thought....  maybe the internal battery (that keeps the date and time)

sucked up some power.

I waited overnight.

This morning, sometimes pressing the on/off button five times, and the

camera would not wake up.

Sometimes it works instantly

Any similar experience please?

I am considering to return the camera tomorrow.

KennethKwok's gear list:KennethKwok's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Nikon Coolpix P7700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
B-rad Veteran Member • Posts: 7,470
Re: P7700 users please help. ?Faulty on/off button

I know if the lcd screen is closed (facing the camera) it won't turn on. Other than that, I wish I could help. Good luck

-- hide signature --

Brad
Windsor.Ontario.Canada
WSSA member#52
PBase Supporter
www.pbase.com/bradsandy

B-rad's gear list:B-rad's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
OP KennethKwok Contributing Member • Posts: 998

Many thanks.

I also tried that. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't.

But if LCD is facing camera (no visible LCD from outside),the on-off

switch sometimes goes flashing.

Sometimes, it just stays off.

Thanks.

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Karl R. Josker
Karl R. Josker Contributing Member • Posts: 944

I have noticed on my 7700 that it takes a deliberate pressing of the ON-Off button to activate it, holding it down longer than you would think necessary. Not for a whole second, but just a bit longer than you would expect. Probably some accidental turning on avoidance feature is about the only thing I can think of. Might that be what you are experiencing?

Karl R. Josker's gear list:Karl R. Josker's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Nikonworks Senior Member • Posts: 2,202

KennethKwok wrote:

I thought.... maybe the internal battery (that keeps the date and time)

sucked up some power.

I waited overnight.

I am considering to return the camerws:a tomorrow.

I have two P7700's. both do the same thing as follows:Holding your camera from the rear envision your on off button has four quadrants:left rear, right rear, front left, front right.My P7700's turn on only when I press the front left portion of the button.Sounds crazy but this is how both of mine work.

Patrick McMahon
Patrick McMahon Senior Member • Posts: 1,253

Karl R. Josker wrote:

I have noticed on my 7700 that it takes a deliberate pressing of the ON-Off button to activate it, holding it down longer than you would think necessary.

+1

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +5 more
Juggernaut122
Juggernaut122 Contributing Member • Posts: 628

Karl R. Josker wrote:

I have noticed on my 7700 that it takes a deliberate pressing of the ON-Off button to activate it, holding it down longer than you would think necessary. Not for a whole second, but just a bit longer than you would expect. Probably some accidental turning on avoidance feature is about the only thing I can think of. Might that be what you are experiencing?

Hi,

I just bought my camera yesterday and I found the same thing.  I was also wondering if the button was broken, but it seems like this is normal intentional behavior.

I just tested pressing it quickly about 10 times in different ways and it never came on.  Then one solid press for about 1/2 second and it comes right on.

I see the play button does the same thing when you want to just review the images and the manual does mention holding down this button to turn on the camera (interestingly the manual seems to have forgotten that there is even an on/off button).

Juggernaut

Juggernaut122's gear list:Juggernaut122's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Canon G7 X II Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
Juggernaut122
Juggernaut122 Contributing Member • Posts: 628

Juggernaut122 wrote:

Karl R. Josker wrote:

Hi,

I just bought my camera yesterday and I found the same thing. I was also wondering if the button was broken, but it seems like this is normal intentional behavior.

I just tested pressing it quickly about 10 times in different ways and it never came on. Then one solid press for about 1/2 second and it comes right on.

I see the play button does the same thing when you want to just review the images and the manual does mention holding down this button to turn on the camera (interestingly the manual seems to have forgotten that there is even an on/off button).

Juggernaut

Further, when you press the on/off button to turn the camera off - it turns off right away without having to long press.

This all seems like it was designed this way.

Juggernaut122's gear list:Juggernaut122's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Canon G7 X II Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
tomjar Contributing Member • Posts: 620
Same experience here (nt)

nt

tomjar's gear list:tomjar's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Coolpix AW120 Nikon D5000 Panasonic G85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
tomjar Contributing Member • Posts: 620

KennethKwok wrote:

Many thanks.

Thanks.

With the camera switched off, if the LCD is fully closed, facing the camera, the on/off indicator should not blink at all if you try to switch it on. I have to open the LCD by about 15 degrees before it can be switched on. If however the camera is already switched on and you close the LCD fully (without switching it off), then the camera goes into stand by mode with the on/off indicator flashing. If this is what you're getting, it's normal.

tomjar's gear list:tomjar's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Coolpix AW120 Nikon D5000 Panasonic G85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Slow "on" button probably is intended.

tomjar wrote:

KennethKwok wrote:

Many thanks.

Thanks.

With the camera switched off, if the LCD is fully closed, facing the camera, the on/off indicator should not blink at all if you try to switch it on. I have to open the LCD by about 15 degrees before it can be switched on. If however the camera is already switched on and you close the LCD fully (without switching it off), then the camera goes into stand by mode with the on/off indicator flashing. If this is what you're getting, it's normal.

Many thanks.

I think your description is likely more accurate.

Many thanks for the great help from everyone.

I was thinking whether I was just stupid to ask something as simple as this.

"No doubt, it was broken." and this is not the first on/off switch, nor the first

digital camera that I have handled.

I echo the "off" experience. It seems to switch off every time I press it.

Many thanks for the suggestion of an "intended" function to

avoid accidental switching on.*

The thing is, though, even when pressed on briefly,

it may turn on 4 times out of 5. (But not 0 times out of 5)

As a comparison, if I want to use the on/off switch on my iPhone 4, to switch on,

or fully turn off (rather than sleep), if I press briefly, it would NEVER work

(as it was intended). I have to press for more than 2 seconds.

Maybe, Nikon should have designed it this way, if they really want to avoid

"accidental" switch on.

From your description, it seems that the P7700 would eventually switch on.

That's all fine with me for pressing the on/off button a bit longer.

Seems unique to P7700

I have used a long time ago, Coolpix 5200i (about 5MP)

and recently Coolpix P300

All these on/off button are instantenous.

Thanks again.

ZoranC Veteran Member • Posts: 5,569

KennethKwok wrote:

I thought.... maybe the internal battery (that keeps the date and time)

sucked up some power.

I waited overnight.

I am considering to return the camera tomorrow.

I too have experienced this. I would press power button (and not a brief press but solid one) and it wouldn't come on. Sometimes it would take more than two, even several, presses for it to come on. In the end I returned it (because I also had "lens error" with it). No problems whatsoever with different copy though, works like a charm (to knock in the wood).

KimTeo Contributing Member • Posts: 951

From the manual, page 23..

Closing the Monitor and Power

•When the monitor is closed with the screen facing inward, the power cannot be turned on even if

the power switch or c button is pressed.

•When the monitor is closed with the screen facing inward while the power is on, the camera

enters standby mode and the power lamp flashes on and off. After the monitor is in the closed

position for 3 minutes, the power turns off. Opening the monitor when the camera is in standby

mode causes it to switch to the shooting mode.

•When the monitor is closed while movie recording or interval timer shooting, recording will end.

•When the camera is connected to a TV, PC or printer, the camera will not enter standby mode

when the monitor is closed.

KimTeo Contributing Member • Posts: 951

Inablity to power-on when the display is facing inwards is double-lock to prevent accidentally powering on the camera.  It is feature, not a bug.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads