Help! My Panasonic DMC-GX1 has this error: "Please turn camera off and then on again"

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Questions
mrscobbler New Member • Posts: 7
Help! My Panasonic DMC-GX1 has this error: "Please turn camera off and then on again"

Last weekend I was using my camera and this error message popped up: "Please turn camera off and then on again".

I googled the error message and didn't find much in the way of being able to fix it. I think I've tried everything I can think of to fix it and nothing seems to work. Here's what I've tried so far:

-Turning off the camera and turning it on again does not fix the problem

-Reformatting my SD card and using a new SD card didn't help

-Restoring my camera to the factory settings didn't help

-Updating the firmware to v1.1 didn't help

-Switching to a different lens didn't help

-I've tried all kinds of settings on my camera itself and nothing seemed to help

Basically I need help! Has anyone had this error before and been able to fix it? I'm hesitant to send it in to the repair center because I'm worried I'll never see it again, or it will take forever. It is still under warranty for another month or so. I'm so bummed! Before this camera, I only owned point and shoot cameras and I was excited to learn more about photography.

Please help!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Thomas Kachadurian
Thomas Kachadurian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,653
Re: Help! My Panasonic DMC-GX1 has this error: "Please turn camera off and then on again"

Try removing the camera battery for a few hours. Try removing and remounting the lens. Then thino about sending it in for service.

Tom

www.kachadurian.com
Call me crazy. I happen to like photos of cats.

Thomas Kachadurian's gear list:Thomas Kachadurian's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
ADSinger Senior Member • Posts: 1,707
Re: Help! My Panasonic DMC-GX1 has this error: "Please turn camera off and then on again"

One thing your entry doesn't mention: did you try removing the battery?

alan.

-- hide signature --

www.MotoEuro.org

ADSinger's gear list:ADSinger's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm XQ1 Fujifilm X-T1
OP mrscobbler New Member • Posts: 7

Yes, I've tried doing that too, I forgot to mention that. I've left it out for several hours.

I also forgot to mention that I got it working at one point -- but then today the error message came back again. I hadn't changed the camera settings since it was working. It happens every time I push the shutter button down to take a picture. The camera will take a picture, but it is very overexposed.

s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 12,462
Re:Battery is empty? or faulty?

Try camera with spare battery

-- hide signature --

I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.
http://g1.img-dpreview.com/20AE148C45244CBE9FB1585EDA32B1C1.jpg

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +3 more
FrankS009
FrankS009 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,115

I have a Panasonic TZ5 that became water damaged. It will turn on and even take a picture, but in about 3 seconds I get the "please turn camera off......" message. Because it was water damaged, it was not eligible for warrantee service.

benarden Contributing Member • Posts: 576

mrscobbler wrote:

Yes, I've tried doing that too, I forgot to mention that. I've left it out for several hours.

I also forgot to mention that I got it working at one point -- but then today the error message came back again. I hadn't changed the camera settings since it was working. It happens every time I push the shutter button down to take a picture. The camera will take a picture, but it is very overexposed.

( Just guessing here)
Take out battery & Mem card

Turn it on  / batteriless
Push all buttons / turn all dials, play with lens.

Make sure battery is fully charged

Replace battery

Reload firmware.

replace mem card.

If no joy, document it & return to vendor for another one.

In closing, I had a pana GF2 (?) - which I returned because it constantly overexposed.

e-PL-1 (refurbished) has no problems like this.

- So, could be an intermittent software error, which may or may not have been corrected.

Good luck !

benarden wrote:

mrscobbler wrote:

( Just guessing here)
Take out battery & Mem card

Turn it on / batteriless
Push all buttons / turn all dials, play with lens.

Make sure battery is fully charged

Replace battery

Reload firmware.

replace mem card.

If no joy, document it & return to vendor for another one.

In closing, I had a pana GF2 (?) - which I returned because it constantly overexposed.

e-PL-1 (refurbished) has no problems like this.

- So, could be an intermittent software error, which may or may not have been corrected.

Good luck !

I will try what you suggest. Unfortunately, I don't think I can send it back to the vendor as it is way past the return period. If I can't fix it, it's looking like I'll just have to send it in to get it serviced. Thanks for the input everyone.

grapher
grapher Senior Member • Posts: 1,118
Don´t be afraid of Panasonic service

I send in my G3 with a stuck shutter (wouldn´t open at all), the camera was back 10 days later, problem fixed. Camera was still under warranty, so no charge.

grapher's gear list:grapher's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
phototransformations
phototransformations Senior Member • Posts: 2,846
Re: Don´t be afraid of Panasonic service

grapher wrote:

I send in my G3 with a stuck shutter (wouldn´t open at all), the camera was back 10 days later, problem fixed. Camera was still under warranty, so no charge.

Where did you send your G3? Mine came with dust stuck under the SSWF, and it too six weeks of haggling with them to finally get them to acknowledge the problem and send me a refurb (which, fortunately, worked fine). I was quite unimpressed by their responsiveness and expertise.

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +25 more
HMMR New Member • Posts: 21

I had the same problem with my GH2 earlier this year. (on vacation, of course) I tried many things and finally it resolved itself so I cannot tell you exactly what finally did it, but it was out of commission for 2 days. I believe that it had something to do with the lens mount however. The things I tried were: resetting the settings to stock in the menu. cleaning the contacts of the lens mount and lens with rubbing alcohol, trying different lenses, leaving the battery out for hours, changing SD cards out with freshly formatted cards.

I had a problem with my GH1 once and had to send it in to Panasonic service (in Texas) and I had it back, repaired in 10 days. Shutter was stuck in the closed position and I couldn't get it to reset no matter what I tried. I needed to send it in nayway to get the defective strap lugs fixed anyway.

Hope this helps

HMMR's gear list:HMMR's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
John Bean (UK) Forum Pro • Posts: 18,035

phototransformations wrote:

grapher wrote:

Where did you send your G3? Mine came with dust stuck under the SSWF, and it too six weeks of haggling with them to finally get them to acknowledge the problem and send me a refurb (which, fortunately, worked fine). I was quite unimpressed by their responsiveness and expertise.

My only experience here in the UK was with a G1 that developed a faulty hot shoe while still in warranty. The camera eventually got fixed free of charge after 3 months (!) but not without some heated exchanges when the camera seemingly developed additional faults while in their "care" including a damaged rear casing and on/off switch that they initially wanted £200 to fix.

In the past I've had dealings with Sigma, Pentax and Fuji in the UK on warranty matters, all have been exceptionally good (especially Fuji) so I was very disappointed by the poor service from Panasonic UK. Hopefully the OP lives somewhere else...

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

John Bean (UK)'s gear list:John Bean (UK)'s gear list
Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
grapher
grapher Senior Member • Posts: 1,118

phototransformations wrote:

Where did you send your G3?

Panasonic Service-Center Reutlingen
Herbert Geissler
Lichtensteinstraße 75
72770 Reutlingen

Germany

grapher's gear list:grapher's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
Thanks for the input/advice everyone

The nearest service center for me is in Texas. I'm hoping that the service is quick as some of you  have mentioned! I'm going to send it in tomorrow and see what happens.

Bill Randall
Bill Randall Forum Pro • Posts: 21,969

Others have mentioned the battery, but be sure the contact points are clean. Make certain the contact points on your battery charger are clean. Contact points should never be touched with the bare hands.

Many people eat and drink while they are using their camera and forget that grease and liquid on the hands can alter camera performance. Take a damp soft cloth - DAMP NOT WET - and carefully wipe the camera down, especially the controls. Dry the camera with a soft dry cloth and wait awhile for the camera to completely dry.

Bill Randall's gear list:Bill Randall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S602 Zoom Nikon D200 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5600
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

Has the camera had any impact damage or exposure to sand or salt water.  Past that contact Panasonic your camera is always warranted. If you shave to pay for the repair and it costs more than 50% of what is is new i would not fix it But replace it.  Also their is talk of a GX-2 replacement.

phototransformations
phototransformations Senior Member • Posts: 2,846
Re: Thanks for the input/advice everyone

mrscobbler wrote:

The nearest service center for me is in Texas. I'm hoping that the service is quick as some of you have mentioned! I'm going to send it in tomorrow and see what happens.

When you deal with Texas, if things don't go smoothly, I recommend you call the people who are actually repairing or replacing your camera rather than rely on their web tracking system. I found it completely unreliable, and I found the people who answer the support calls completely unreliable. There is apparently very little communication between the actual repair facility and the people who answer the phones or update the online system. You can, however, ask to talk with the person who oversees the technicians and she's fairly on top of what's going on there.

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +25 more
Osbain
Osbain New Member • Posts: 6

Hi, did you ever figure out how to fix this? My camera started doing it last weekend and I can't figure out how to fix it.

yorktown New Member • Posts: 2

I have a DMC-G6 with the exact same problem.  The shutter was stuck.   I sent it into Panasonic.  Don't ever bother doing that.   They want to charge alot of money just to look at the camera.  I ended up researching it.   I used a small paint brush, the kind children use.    I lightly, very lightly stroked the shutter.  I turned the camera on and off and repeated until the shutter worked.  It saved me hundreds of dollars.

GetBentDance Junior Member • Posts: 32

I'm having the exact same problem with my GX-1.   I reinstalled the firmware a few times and  the shutter still keeps locking closed.

When I remove the lens and restart the camera, I can take a few shots.  But then the shutter sticks closed again.  Reinstalling the firmware, restarting the camera, and removing the battery hasn't solved the issue.   I wanted to sell this camera, but I can't now the way it's acting.

Any other solutions?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads