18-55 review

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions
myess Forum Member • Posts: 61
18-55 review
4

I don't post here often but finally at the stage of purchasing a mirrorless.  This forum has been extremely helpful.  In my research I ran across this article.  Might be helpful for others in the same search.

http://www.flixelpix.com/life/review-fujifilm-x-e1/

I am coming from an Olympus E-5 w/ a bunch of lenses and strongly leaning towards the XE1 but want a nice zoom that does not cost $1k.

 myess's gear list:myess's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4
Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Robert Garcia NYC Senior Member • Posts: 2,040
Re: 18-55 review

Nice review and pictures but I was surprised they never mentioned the shutter lag or focus issues if any. I will reread I must have missed something.

simon
simon Senior Member • Posts: 2,351
Re: 18-55 review
1

Many thanks.  The 18-55mm must be very close to general release now.

I can forsee a flood of "My Kit has arrived" threads about to hit us !

-- hide signature --

- Simon, Sydney

Vic Chapman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,863
Re: 18-55 review
1

Robert Garcia NYC wrote:

Nice review and pictures but I was surprised they never mentioned the shutter lag or focus issues if any. I will reread I must have missed something.

That could be because there aren't any shutter lag or focus issues with this lens - how would the lens cause shutter lag anyway, surely that's a camera body problem?

Vic

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan

 Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 +14 more
pmaster Regular Member • Posts: 238
Re: 18-55 review

simon wrote:

Many thanks. The 18-55mm must be very close to general release now.

I can forsee a flood of "My Kit has arrived" threads about to hit us !

-- hide signature --

- Simon, Sydney

Apparently there's no exif data on your smiley face (I just figured it would flash everytime i'd mouse-over your text!)

To the OP: Thanks for the link, the review is quite informative, can't wait to get the kit! I especially liked the comparison of the zoom with the 35mm, looks the quality might be almost on-par!

Signalz1123 Regular Member • Posts: 393
Re: 18-55 review
1

So it seems this review is not from a Pre-production zoom, heactually bought it somewhere. I'd like to know where and does this bode well for getting some in the US in the next few weeks?

 Signalz1123's gear list:Signalz1123's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
flektogon
flektogon Senior Member • Posts: 2,380
Re: 18-55 review
1

Btw, do you have idea how the OVF of X-Pro would cope with this zoom lens?

Thanks!

Robert Garcia NYC Senior Member • Posts: 2,040
Re: 18-55 review

Vic Chapman wrote:

Robert Garcia NYC wrote:

Nice review and pictures but I was surprised they never mentioned the shutter lag or focus issues if any. I will reread I must have missed something.

That could be because there aren't any shutter lag or focus issues with this lens - how would the lens cause shutter lag anyway, surely that's a camera body problem?

Vic

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan

I guess I might be wrong. My understanding is that the lens would improve focus down to 0.1 sec shutter time lag unless I was reading it wrong. I though it was the focus motor on the zoom lens that gave it that extra speed that is why the primes were noted as being slower on the Xe1. Also, I was just surprised it wasn't even mentioned being that has been brought here on the forum time and time again it is safe to assume that it's on peoples minds.

Here you, go this got me thinking along these lines (from Fuji website):

Pair the X-E1 with the new FUJINON XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS lens for maximum performance with high-speed autofocus of 0.1 sec

The highly agile linear motor in the newly announced XF18-55mm lens combines with the high-speed signal readout of the CMOS sensor and the newly developed EXR Processor Pro, to achieve a huge leap in AF speed and precision performance. Contrast Detection in the X-E1 brings your subject into sharp focus in as little as 0.1seconds.

A masterpiece in optical technology, the high quality all-glass lens structure consists of 14 elements in 10 groups, including 3 aspherical lenses and 1 extra low dispersion element, and a seven-blade rounded diaphragm. This zoom lens covers a broad range of frequently-used focal lengths from 18mm in wide angle to 55mm mid telephoto*6 to cater for a variety of scenes including landscape and snap shots.

At F2.8-4.0 wide open, this fast lens is perfect for low-light photography or scenes with a beautiful bokeh effect. The compact design of this lens, made possible by optimising its component layout, enhances its portability. Advanced optical and mechanical designs are optimised to keep the lens compact, measuring 65.0mm x 70.4mm (wide), despite offering maximum aperture of F2.8. The lens features an aperture ring so that users can adjust the aperture in a natural movement while holding the camera up to the eye, just as on other XF lenses. The lens includes an OIS (Optical Image Stabilizer) to provide image stabilization equivalent to 4 stops, controlling the effect of camera shake and allowing users to seize perfect photo opportunities.

Vic Chapman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,863
Re: 18-55 review
1

flektogon wrote:

Btw, do you have idea how the OVF of X-Pro would cope with this zoom lens?

Thanks!

The XP1 OVF frame lines will change as one zooms. I'm not so sure whether the same will be true of the wide angle zoom.

Personally, I will use the 18-55mm mainly as my walkabout lens (i.e. when on holiday with the wife and I'm reluctant to stop to change lenses). However, if it is as sharp as I believe it to be it will get more use than just as a walkabout. I expect to buy the 14mm and I have the 35mm f1.4 and short tele legacy lenses so the 18mm end of the zoom at f2.8 is a fairly generous aperture for low light work sans tripod.

Vic

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan

 Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 +14 more
Scott McL
Scott McL Regular Member • Posts: 249
Useless - no genuine, hard information

Why do folks waste so much time and words instead of communicating something genuinely studious, factual, informative, etc.?

I am ever less patiently awaiting genuine, critical, carefully studied, nuanced and truly comparative evaluations of the new 18-55 and 14mm lenses. Why is there not a flood of truly informed and thoughtful evaluation from early reviewers already available? Stinks.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed." - Garry Winogrand

awelch100
awelch100 Regular Member • Posts: 394
Re: Useless - no genuine, hard information
2

Jeez, I know the wait is excruciating, but relax a little! The 18-55 has just hit retailers in Asia and the 14mm is yet to be seen. The photographers who have had early access to the lenses are most likely under an NDA, so they can't release any info before a certain date. Hopefully, since we have seen some reviews like this on in the last few days, the NDA is no longer in effect.

Personally, I enjoyed this casual review.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-E1 w/ 35mm f/1.4 and 18mm f/2.0
Canon 5D MkII w/ 24-70 f/2.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Canon 85 f/1.8, etc, etc...

 awelch100's gear list:awelch100's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D750 Sony Alpha a7R II Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +2 more
easyeddy Regular Member • Posts: 250
Re: Useless - no genuine, hard information

awelch100 wrote:

The 18-55 has just hit retailers in Asia

Any evidence of that?

flixelpix New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Useless - no genuine, hard information

I just did my best to document my initial experiences with the X-E1 and 18-55mm. I didn't want to make it scientific I just wanted it to be from a photographers point of view in terms of usability and experience.

I had the lens out again for some long exposure images- http://www.flixelpix.com/landscapes/fujinon-18-55mm-lens-long-exposures/

I do really like it.

 flixelpix's gear list:flixelpix's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Dan W. Forum Member • Posts: 92
Re: Useless - no genuine, hard information

easyeddy wrote:

awelch100 wrote:

The 18-55 has just hit retailers in Asia

Any evidence of that?

Multiple iinstances, here are two as examples.

http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=246&t=3041924&last=39760259

http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=246&t=3042248&last=39761448

Dan

 Dan W.'s gear list:Dan W.'s gear list
Fujifilm X100T Nikon Df Sony Alpha a7R III Sony a9 Nikon D500
bensherman Contributing Member • Posts: 572
Re: Useless - no genuine, hard information

flixelpix wrote:

I just did my best to document my initial experiences with the X-E1 and 18-55mm. I didn't want to make it scientific I just wanted it to be from a photographers point of view in terms of usability and experience.

I had the lens out again for some long exposure images- http://www.flixelpix.com/landscapes/fujinon-18-55mm-lens-long-exposures/

I do really like it.

Can you please address the AF Speed / accuracy in comparison to previous Fuji Lens (18,35 and 60mm) as well as Micro 4/3?

HighLowISO Regular Member • Posts: 158
Re: 18-55 review - Pictures Speak Louder than Words

While I thought the review should have commented on the AF performance, but it's was not essential.  I do think really more people are asking about that then how the X-E1 compares to the X-Pro1.  The lens in general is the hotter topic I think, as now people should pretty much know what to expect from the X-E1.

I think the pictures in thr flickr-set speak volumes, and basically give a good look at the lens performance.

I was quite impressed with it's lack of flare, it really looks like a quality lens even if it does fgive up a bit in sharpness and contrast. It looks like a little PP will fix everything up nicely.

Robert Garcia NYC Senior Member • Posts: 2,040
Re: Useless - no genuine, hard information

bensherman wrote:

flixelpix wrote:

I just did my best to document my initial experiences with the X-E1 and 18-55mm. I didn't want to make it scientific I just wanted it to be from a photographers point of view in terms of usability and experience.

I had the lens out again for some long exposure images- http://www.flixelpix.com/landscapes/fujinon-18-55mm-lens-long-exposures/

I do really like it.

Can you please address the AF Speed / accuracy in comparison to previous Fuji Lens (18,35 and 60mm) as well as Micro 4/3?

+1 and yes it is essential.

awelch100
awelch100 Regular Member • Posts: 394
Re: Useless - no genuine, hard information

I appreciate you taking the time to do this. I sold my my 18mm and am eagerly awaiting the zoom. Between the 23mm f/1.4 and the zoom,  the 18mm just won't get much use from me.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-E1 w/ 35mm f/1.4 and 18mm f/2.0
Canon 5D MkII w/ 24-70 f/2.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Canon 85 f/1.8, etc, etc...

 awelch100's gear list:awelch100's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D750 Sony Alpha a7R II Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +2 more
chris24net Regular Member • Posts: 289
Re: Useless - no genuine, hard information

I shot with the 18-55 at Photoplus a couple weeks ago and the AF was fast, much faster than any of the existing lenses on my XE1, and pretty close to my OM-D.

-- hide signature --

www.chris-sorensen.com

Robert Garcia NYC Senior Member • Posts: 2,040
Re: Useless - no genuine, hard information

chris24net wrote:

I shot with the 18-55 at Photoplus a couple weeks ago and the AF was fast, much faster than any of the existing lenses on my XE1, and pretty close to my OM-D.

-- hide signature --

www.chris-sorensen.com

Thank you Chris.  I hope to hear the same from others at some point.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads