RX100 slip case - i know its been done to death, but none seem right for me.

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions
asmd Forum Member • Posts: 88
RX100 slip case - i know its been done to death, but none seem right for me.

Hi guys,

The unthinkable just happened yesterday, the zip of my small Lowepro case got caught on the edge of my RX100 and nicked the edge near the mode dial and took the paint off! Grrrr... This things paint is fragile!

Am looking for a slip case that i can wear on my belt or small enough to slip into my pocket.

Theres seems to be no custom case produced for the RX100 that fits what im looking for. It should be snug and form fitting to the camera making it as small as possible, a tricot/soft internal lining that wont scratch and cleans the screen everytime i pull it in and out and a velcro or magnetic strap (i prefer velcro). and it should be vertical, so i can use it like a holster.

The closest is Lowepros Napoli 30, but even that has wasted space in it. I dont like the cute camera case. The Olympus case is not right for me either.

Anybody had any luck with the kind of case im looking for? I have a Pentax slip case that came with a Pentax WP1 and is perfect for use with my Fuji F20... it was luck, but its that sort of case that im looking for to use with the RX100.

Anybody have any insight on custom made cases and how much they cost?

Appreciate any and all replies.

asmd.

-- hide signature --

you have but one life to live... barring the remote possibility that you may come back in the next life as a sparrow.. which would actually be fortunate,... live it well. - asmd.

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Harv Senior Member • Posts: 2,757
Re: RX100 slip case - i know its been done to death, but none seem right for me.

Given the size of the camera, I use a microfiber pouch, no lining. Since I carry nothing in my pockets, the camera is in no danger of being damaged by keys, etc. I try to remember to have the screen against my thigh. Works very well for me, but I am super careful. I do not like cameras on a belt. (Google microfiber pouch. Plenty of options.)

boninsegni
boninsegni Regular Member • Posts: 435
Re: RX100 slip case - i know its been done to death, but none seem right for me.

Hi Hary

For me I've a very similar problem. I'm always looking for a better solution. As I'm the proud owner of 2 RX100 (one with the Franiec grip, one without), I've tried several cases.

The very best for me, without the grip ist the GARIZ leather case http://www.ebay.ch/itm/Gariz-New-Sony-Cyber-Shot-RX100-RX-100-leather-camera-full-case-Brown-Color-/170937469161?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item27ccaac8e9 It is expensive but the quality is top!

For the one with the Franiec grip, I use a cheap PU leather case case from China: http://www.ebay.ch/itm/110874778331?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 In this case you can put also a spare battery on the bottom.

I'm sure there are a loot of other solutions. Search and be happy!

Best regards.

-- hide signature --

Christian

boninsegni's gear list:boninsegni's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX30 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Panasonic ZS200
OP asmd Forum Member • Posts: 88

Thanks for the reply.

I do sometimes carry it in my pocket, but its not always convenient. what works best for me is a belt slip case. easy to pull out using the handstrap, take pics and holster it, close velcro strap. done.

Been doing it this way near forever as it works for me.

I just need to find a case that is appropriate.

regards,

asmd.

-- hide signature --

you have but one life to live... barring the remote possibility that you may come back in the next life as a sparrow.. which would actually be fortunate,... live it well. - asmd.

boninsegni wrote:

Hi Hary

For me I've a very similar problem. I'm always looking for a better solution. As I'm the proud owner of 2 RX100 (one with the Franiec grip, one without), I've tried several cases.

The very best for me, without the grip ist the GARIZ leather case http://www.ebay.ch/itm/Gariz-New-Sony-Cyber-Shot-RX100-RX-100-leather-camera-full-case-Brown-Color-/170937469161?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item27ccaac8e9 It is expensive but the quality is top!

For the one with the Franiec grip, I use a cheap PU leather case case from China: http://www.ebay.ch/itm/110874778331?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 In this case you can put also a spare battery on the bottom.

I'm sure there are a loot of other solutions. Search and be happy!

Best regards.

Thanks for the reply.

The ebay link looks exactly like what im looking for!

Does the RX100 lens fit in the opening on the front of the case?

I would really appreciate it if you could put up some pics of your camera in the case.

I wonder if this is available in leather? darned near perfect.

Regards,

asmd.

-- hide signature --

Robbbbert Regular Member • Posts: 138

I like this case.

Note, there is a belt loop on back although I use it for travel and storage only.

SYNTHETIC leather though looks good.

The lens is partially blocked so not suitable for shooting and there is little room for anything else.

A handsome small case with extras, well priced.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/leather-case-bag-Canon-Powershot-ELPH-530-HS-520-HS-320HS-110-500-HS-camera-/110874778331?_trksid=p4340.m444&_trkparms=algo%3DUPI.GIROS%252BPI.WATCH%252BCRX%26its%3DI%252BC%252BS%26itu%3DUCI%252BUCC%252BSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D120934699573%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D166186132080554590

Robbbbert wrote:

I like this case.

Note, there is a belt loop on back although I use it for travel and storage only.

SYNTHETIC leather though looks good.

The lens is partially blocked so not suitable for shooting and there is little room for anything else.

A handsome small case with extras, well priced.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/leather-case-bag-Canon-Powershot-ELPH-530-HS-520-HS-320HS-110-500-HS-camera-/110874778331?_trksid=p4340.m444&_trkparms=algo%3DUPI.GIROS%252BPI.WATCH%252BCRX%26its%3DI%252BC%252BS%26itu%3DUCI%252BUCC%252BSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D120934699573%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D166186132080554590

Thanks so much.

Ordered one.

Will go scour Walmart/Frys to find something to use till it arrives.

Regards,

asmd.

-- hide signature --

William Porter
William Porter Senior Member • Posts: 1,730
the eBay case accommodates the Franiec grip?

Thanks a lot for the photos. Looks like just what I am looking for, too.

But just to confirm — this case works even if the camera has been fitted with the Franiec grip? I think you said so earlier, but it looks like the RX100 you used for the photos doesn't have the grip, so I just wanted to confirm.

Thanks again,

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +10 more
Robbbbert Regular Member • Posts: 138
Re: the eBay case accommodates the Franiec grip?

William Porter wrote:

Thanks a lot for the photos. Looks like just what I am looking for, too.

But just to confirm — this case works even if the camera has been fitted with the Franiec grip? I think you said so earlier, but it looks like the RX100 you used for the photos doesn't have the grip, so I just wanted to confirm.

Thanks again,

Will

DavidC Senior Member • Posts: 2,132

I tried lots of cases (probably 7 or 8).  The one I use now is made by Sony, fits the camera with the Franiec Grip, is well made, and cheap (though cost was not an issue in my decision - who's going to skimp protecting an expensive camera like the RX100?).  It is an excellent fit for the camera. I tried two leather cases too but was not happy with them for various reasons (like too cramped, or would not fit the camera with the Franiec Grip fitted).  This is the product:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-LCSCSQ-Carrying-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000MDZKUU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1352479231&sr=8-3

accupix Regular Member • Posts: 240

The 'cheap PU Case from China' is great, has a secure closed belt loop, as well as two metal loops for a neck strap. Best of all, you can carry a charged battery in the bottom of the case and the RX-100 still fits with comfort, even with the popular grip. I use a hand strap as well, and if you let it lay to the left side, this allows the flap to drop and close as snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug. You can remove the camera with your hand thru the strap and bring it to your eye and shoot with one continuous motion leaving the other hand totally free. The camera can also be returned to the case one-handedly without fear of dropping it.

accupix's gear list:accupix's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G5 X

DavidC wrote:

I tried lots of cases (probably 7 or 8). The one I use now is made by Sony, fits the camera with the Franiec Grip, is well made, and cheap (though cost was not an issue in my decision - who's going to skimp protecting an expensive camera like the RX100?). It is an excellent fit for the camera. I tried two leather cases too but was not happy with them for various reasons (like too cramped, or would not fit the camera with the Franiec Grip fitted). This is the product:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-LCSCSQ-Carrying-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000MDZKUU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1352479231&sr=8-3

The Sony case has a zip, and my Lowepro case that i was using yesterday which also has a zip scratched the paint off my RX100.

I would advise against using a compact case with a zip. Most compact camera bodies dont mar as easily as the RX100.

regards,

asmd.

-- hide signature --

Mr Thompson Regular Member • Posts: 217

Have a look at this: http://www.manhattanportage.com/catalog/product_info.php/camera-case-p-373

It's the best fit I have found for the RX100.

Mr Thompson's gear list:Mr Thompson's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 V Sony RX10 IV Sony Alpha NEX-5N +27 more

Mr Thompson wrote:

Have a look at this: http://www.manhattanportage.com/catalog/product_info.php/camera-case-p-373

It's the best fit I have found for the RX100.

thanks for the reply.

i want a vertical slip case. the ebay case seems to fit my bill.

regards.

-- hide signature --

Jerry Stevens Senior Member • Posts: 2,541

Not all that surprising to have difficulty choosing. An essential element of everyday use.

-- hide signature --

Jerry (Gerald L. Stevens)

John.Laninga
John.Laninga Senior Member • Posts: 2,360
Vertical leather case for RX100

Try this one, it fits perfectly... here

If the link doesn't work, Google Cute Leather RX100

John.Laninga's gear list:John.Laninga's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X-S1 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +3 more
dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,763
Lowepro D-Pods 20

I use this Lowepro D-Pods 20 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001HOWTW?ie=UTF8&tag=gadgetsphtech-20)

not sure they still make them but they're made of elastic neoprene, fit the RX100 perfectly and won't scratch its body

it can be clipped onto your belt like your phone

Cheers

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
DavidC Senior Member • Posts: 2,132

asmd wrote:

DavidC wrote:

I tried lots of cases (probably 7 or 8). The one I use now is made by Sony, fits the camera with the Franiec Grip, is well made, and cheap (though cost was not an issue in my decision - who's going to skimp protecting an expensive camera like the RX100?). It is an excellent fit for the camera. I tried two leather cases too but was not happy with them for various reasons (like too cramped, or would not fit the camera with the Franiec Grip fitted). This is the product:

The Sony case has a zip, and my Lowepro case that i was using yesterday which also has a zip scratched the paint off my RX100.

I would advise against using a compact case with a zip. Most compact camera bodies dont mar as easily as the RX100.

regards,

asmd.

It hasn't scratched my RX100.  The zip does not touch the camera.

Amateur Sony Shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,433
The best solution is this:

From my Sony compact flash (F20AM) soft case. It's a perfect fit, small enough for my pocket, yet provide lint-free protection, and  it's breathable too!

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x +6 more
rrockley Regular Member • Posts: 488

I'm just curious why you don't like the Cute case.

rrockley's gear list:rrockley's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony 28mm F2.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads