Battery drain problem of my A55 solved

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions
Dynho Junior Member • Posts: 28
Battery drain problem of my A55 solved

Hi all,

like some other users I have troubles with my A55's battery. When I insert a fully charged battery (a genuine Sony that is) it is down at 80% only a day later - being idle and turned off. Apart from this strange behavior I loved my A55 from day one.

But now I am loving it even more since I incidentally learned two weeks ago why the battery is always draining. Here is the answer: when I bought the camera I purchased a new 16 GB Class 10 SD-card which has been used exclusively with the A55. I always used a card reader to transfer my pictures onto my computer and last time I forgot to re-insert the card into the camera when I was done. And guess what: When I turned on the A55 three days later the gauge of the freshly charged battery was still at 100%!

So I tried two other cards and the effect was the same: 100% charge-rate. I inserted the card I always have been using and the next day it was down again at 80%. Now I had the proof of my theory!

Co-incidentally I had at that time a 32 GB Class 10 SD-card from the same vendor on order. It is sitting now for three days in my A55 and the gauge is still at 100%!

It appears as if a faulty SD-card can discharge the battery. If you have the same problem I had, please try using another card - or leave the card bay empty - and post if it solved your problem as well.

Cheers
Andy

Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Thor Anders Aarhaug New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Battery drain problem of my A55 solved

Dynho wrote:

Hi all,

like some other users I have troubles with my A55's battery. When I insert a fully charged battery (a genuine Sony that is) it is down at 80% only a day later - being idle and turned off. Apart from this strange behavior I loved my A55 from day one.

But now I am loving it even more since I incidentally learned two weeks ago why the battery is always draining. Here is the answer: when I bought the camera I purchased a new 16 GB Class 10 SD-card which has been used exclusively with the A55. I always used a card reader to transfer my pictures onto my computer and last time I forgot to re-insert the card into the camera when I was done. And guess what: When I turned on the A55 three days later the gauge of the freshly charged battery was still at 100%!

So I tried two other cards and the effect was the same: 100% charge-rate. I inserted the card I always have been using and the next day it was down again at 80%. Now I had the proof of my theory!

Co-incidentally I had at that time a 32 GB Class 10 SD-card from the same vendor on order. It is sitting now for three days in my A55 and the gauge is still at 100%!

It appears as if a faulty SD-card can discharge the battery. If you have the same problem I had, please try using another card - or leave the card bay empty - and post if it solved your problem as well.

Cheers
Andy

Upon reading this a days back, I instantly replaced my 32 GB Transcend Class 10 with a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB.

Guess what?  2 years of annoying battery drain is gone!

Thanks!!!

Thor

Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,058

Thor Anders Aarhaug wrote:

Dynho wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers
Andy

Upon reading this a days back, I instantly replaced my 32 GB Transcend Class 10 with a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB.

Guess what? 2 years of annoying battery drain is gone!

Thanks!!!

Thor

I'm perplexed as to why changing card brand or leaving a card in or not, would have an effect on battery drain. It sounds more like random variation in battery performance which could be due to shooting conditions, ambient temperatures or all manner of variables. In all my time shooting DSLRs I've never heard of leaving a memory card in the camera causing battery drain, or different brands or card speeds affecting battery performance.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more
phaedin
phaedin Senior Member • Posts: 1,634

From the testing the OP did, I think confirms, that in his case, a faulty card was causing battery drain. Possible due to a manufacturing defect in that specific card

phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D7500 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +1 more
Thor Anders Aarhaug New Member • Posts: 10

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

Thor Anders Aarhaug wrote:

Dynho wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers
Andy

Guess what? 2 years of annoying battery drain is gone!

Thanks!!!

Thor

I'm perplexed as to why changing card brand or leaving a card in or not, would have an effect on battery drain. It sounds more like random variation in battery performance which could be due to shooting conditions, ambient temperatures or all manner of variables. In all my time shooting DSLRs I've never heard of leaving a memory card in the camera causing battery drain, or different brands or card speeds affecting battery performance.

Neither did I. That's why I never even contemplated changing the card.

It was never a question of use: from 100 to 80% overnight not using the camera at all (at 20C for that matter) . Very annoying. It was not until I got my RX100 and got the "NO CARD" error that I ran across some interesting information about my a55.

Now the RX100 had to go back, but that's another story...

Thor

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads