CamRanger wireless control for Ios devices and Android does just about everything but talk to you...

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions
leicaman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,810
CamRanger wireless control for Ios devices and Android does just about everything but talk to you...

I just found what I think is the king of all wireless remotes.  Not cheap... but considering what you can do with it... it's a hell of a deal.  Bracket shutter, aperture, focus, determine focus points, live view.... pretty much control everything from up to 150 feet away.  Gonna get me one....  Best I have seen.

www.camranger.com

leicaman's gear list:leicaman's gear list
Nikon D810
K10D Contributing Member • Posts: 810
Re: CamRanger

Just ordered one for my D600

The wireless remote supplied by Nikon is next to useless, has an extremely limited range and crashes constantly on my IPhone.

Will let others what i think when it's in my sweaty hands.

-- hide signature --

Bob
Perth, Western Australia

Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
Re: CamRanger

leicaman wrote:

I just found what I think is the king of all wireless remotes. Not cheap... but considering what you can do with it... it's a hell of a deal. Bracket shutter, aperture, focus, determine focus points, live view.... pretty much control everything from up to 150 feet away. Gonna get me one.... Best I have seen.

www.camranger.com

What iOS device will you be using?

Please post a report when you have given it a workout.

The Live View in Photo and Movie modes makes it attractive in spite of the $300 price tag. If it works well with an iPad it could be very handy for video, or shooting stills with a tilt-shift lens.

-- hide signature --
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,230
Thank you for info

I wonder how fast is the transfer from camera to IOS device. Please let us know how it goes.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Martin Grecner Contributing Member • Posts: 520
Re: CamRanger wireless control for Ios devices and Android does just about everything...

Well, this is seems to be an excelent device.

It even seems to support "touch to focus" for live view and video.

It could make a great video monitoring setup with a large high resolution iOS or Android tablet.

If someone gets it, please let us know how it works.

Martin

nikonjapan74 Regular Member • Posts: 237
Re: CamRanger wireless control

lack of RAW support from this device is a major deal breaker

nikonjapan74 wrote:

lack of RAW support from this device is a major deal breaker

Why? What would you do with a NEF on an iPad?

-- hide signature --
K10D Contributing Member • Posts: 810

Within a few days of ordering it, the Camranger is now in my sweaty hands. It took a couple of minutes to setup and seems to be working flawlessly. This device is so much better than the Nikon offering.

Lack of raw editing for the ipad doesn't bother me as the files are still downloaded to the memory card of the camera for transfering later to my computer. I've configured the camera to shoot raw + basic jpeg just in case I need something to send via e-mail or post to Facebook.

I will expand on my thoughts after I've had a serious play. Nice to see that video is supported as well.

-- hide signature --

Bob
Perth, Western Australia

Hi Robin,

could you please elaborate more on the video capabilities ?

Can it transfer FullHD video quality to an iPad screen so that I can judge the focus ?

How does touch-to-focus work with video ? Does it reposition the focus point instantenously, or does it travel for some time as if the camera button was used ?

Also, for stills, what does the no RAW support mean ? When I take a shot, can I still view it on the iPad screen ? Can I enlarge it to 1:1 size ?

Thanks a lot

Martin

Martin Grecner wrote:

Hi Robin,

could you please elaborate more on the video capabilities ?

Did you confuse me with someone else? All I know is what I read on their web site.

http://www.camranger.com/features/

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

Sorry, my mistake,  it should have been "K10D", not you.

Martin

mermaidkiller Contributing Member • Posts: 890

Unfortunately, Camranger does not support Android.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 7
Canon EF-S 15-85 f/3.5-5.6
Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6
Canon EF 85 f/1.8
Canon EF 50 f/2.5 Macro
-------
Canon Powershot S100

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Canon G7 X II Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 6D GoPro Hero5 Black Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
slidewilson Regular Member • Posts: 248

mermaidkiller wrote:

Unfortunately, Camranger does not support Android.

If you check out Jared Polin's interview with the designer, he says Android support is something that is I'm their plan that they'd like to implement at some point..

El Ninio Photography
El Ninio Photography New Member • Posts: 2

Hi,

From their site, an Android version as well as a PC version will be available in a couple of months.

Feature wise, it is very similar to dslrcontroller.com. I wrote a review on DSLR Controller on my blog, it's in Hebrew though, so unless you know Hebrew you'll have to look else where

It's big plus - it's wireless.

This allows for such a great number of versatile ways to use tethered mode that it blows my mind!!
Think of the compositions you could achieve!

Sure, you can trigger the shutter remotely. But then you have to run back to the camera, see what you got, make modifications, run back, remote trigger again - rinse and repeat...

This will allow you to trigger remotely, but will save you the round trip - you could check and modify remotely. Incredible.

Over the obvious things you'd expect from tethered mode, there's also:

1. Intervalometer
  2. Easy way to Focus-Stack
  3. Crazy HDR. They allow for so many HDR exposures it's insane.
    For example, the Canon 5D Mark III supports EB of +/- 4 stops, at 1/3 stop steps, that's a total of 25 optional frames. The camera body limits to 7 frames maximum for the HDR but CamRanger allows you to do the entire 19 frames!!! Not sure why you would want that, but you can

Assuming you don't already have one, it's a tether terminal as well as an intervalometer which makes the price even more appealing.

Long story short - I am definitely getting one just as soon as they get an android app out

El Ninio Photography's gear list:El Ninio Photography's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Placation101 Regular Member • Posts: 455
Re: CamRanger wireless control for Ios devices and Android does just

The only thing that gives me pause is this... Stop reading if you don't want to know.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-MR3040-Wireless-Portable-Internal/dp/B0088PPFP4

this is what they are selling you for $300. Not some newly designed device that they had to engineer, a $50 router, with their logo. Well you get the app for that too. Now if they instead they said here is a $50 dollar cam ranger and the app is $250, well then I gotta say I'd probably not consider it at all. So plus one for their marketing.

that said if I didn't know that I'd be a lot happier about the purchase. As far as ease and functionality if you own apple products it seems worth the money in camera dollars Relative to some other accessories for sure.

not sure what to think now really.

lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
Do I get it right ?

You wish to hook up this router to the camera and use it's wireless features to connect get the pictures across ?

Placation101 Regular Member • Posts: 455
Re: Do I get it right ?

No the cam ranger that you buy is that router or very similar with their logo pasted on top, that is what you would be buying. Look at their website and then that link.

Look they can charge whatever they want, and when you have a unique product you can. I'm not saying its not worth it, just I guess I was thinking they engineered the whole device.

lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
Got it.

looks similar indeed. So I guess we pay for the app...

El Ninio Photography
El Ninio Photography New Member • Posts: 2

Placation101 wrote:

No the cam ranger that you buy is that router or very similar with their logo pasted on top, that is what you would be buying. Look at their website and then that link.

Look they can charge whatever they want, and when you have a unique product you can. I'm not saying its not worth it, just I guess I was thinking they engineered the whole device.

Unless I am missing something, I disagree.

That TP-Link is simply a router - it needs a live network connection to be able to broadcast it to other devices (for example, you can connect your mobile phone's 3G connection, or a DSL modem).

You camera does not have such a network, thus it cannot be used in a manner similar to the CamRanger.

As I understand it, the CamRanger sets up a local area network (with limited range) to which you can connect your iPad/iPhone/Android device as a wireless network.

Once that connection is established, the app that runs on the mobile device uses that connection to control the camera in a tethered way.

I don't see how you can achieve the same with the TP-Link device you are talking about, but again, I might be missing something. In that case - I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate more on how you would go about doing it.

I'd love to save the bucks as well

El Ninio Photography's gear list:El Ninio Photography's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Sefi Ninio
Sefi Ninio New Member • Posts: 22

BTW: this is similar to EyeFi cards i the way they setup a local network for which you can connect your device to.

Sefi Ninio's gear list:Sefi Ninio's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads