Incredible Macros with Pentax gear.......

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions
BrianC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,695
Incredible Macros with Pentax gear.......

This guy is amazing...........some were shot with K200D and others with K-x.

http://www.thomasshahan.com/photos/

A video of his methods...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRn3at0H60&list=UUM80atpL9P_G7_ORlFOzmAg&index=10&feature=plcp

-- hide signature --

Brian

BrianC's gear list:BrianC's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 WR +1 more
Pentax K200D Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,992
Re: Incredible Macros with Pentax gear.......

I have used the same lens in the past, it was incredible.

asahi man Senior Member • Posts: 1,006

great pix

ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 26,088

Thanks Brian that work of Thomas's is wonderful, I liked his comment "You don't that good a gear." This should remind us all that, "It is the adjustment of the nut behind the viewfinder that counts."

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +13 more
Lawnmower Shooter
Lawnmower Shooter Regular Member • Posts: 124

Amazing photos, he doesn't say what lens though? All I saw was "28 or 50" reversed onto extension rings. I actually have extensions for my new bought K5II-s so I would love to know exactly what lens he has. I am very interested in trying macro, looks really fun.

KentG Veteran Member • Posts: 4,681

I am pretty sure he uses a Pentax 28mm F2.8 reversed. I am sure I talked to him once on either the current or previous Pentax forums, but it was some time ago.

Kent Gittings

KentG's gear list:KentG's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-S1 Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 +3 more
mike703 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,708

Those are stunning. I had a look at the youtube video and the gear looks simple enough. I even have a 28mm f/2.8 - but not reversing rings / extension tubes (or the necessary skill).  I haven;t seen a lens used in reverse *and* with extension tubes before... must be difficult to handle focus and exposure?

Can anyone point me to a tutorial about how to do this and handle issues like focus, exposure and so on using a reversed lens with extension tubes?

Best wishes

Ari Aikomus
Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,411
Great macro work...A good example of...

This is a excellent example of that equipment don't mean everything, when the photographer knows what he is doing

-- hide signature --

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tidis/AAikomus.jpg
- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083

Great shots!

Thank you for the link Brian.

Dean is right, we forget too often that the person behind the camera is the most important part!

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +3 more
Lawnmower Shooter
Lawnmower Shooter Regular Member • Posts: 124
Re: Great macro work...A good example of...

This is also a perfect chance for us to learn from this kind of example. This guy is nice enough to share how he gets these amazing shots, and anybody who absorbs this information will benefit. I am looking at reversing rings now for K mount, and they are less than a $20 bill. I will be ordering one with my 2 primes and battery grip this christmas for sure. I also have extension tubes already so I will be ready to go. I wonder how different reversing the lenses are for a 28mm vs a 100mm?

miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,516

Super, thanks for posting!

The video was a pleasure to watch.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
COULDBE2
COULDBE2 Regular Member • Posts: 175
Re: Great macro work...A good example of...

Lets not forget how important the flash unit is to his setup. Critical in freezing movement of his subjects .

-- hide signature --

Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads