Memory card not mounting

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions
Alandprev Regular Member • Posts: 145
Memory card not mounting

Hi, I have an emac and a macbook. I have always been downloading files from my SD cards to my emac via a card reader but since the last couple of weeks my mac does not show the card - no icon mounts on the desktop of my 2ghz intel core 10.5.8 emac or my snow leopord mac book yet slotting it into a built in reader on a pc and they show up. I have purchased a new card reader but still the card does not mount on my mac. Any suggestions?

thanks, Alan

justinrphillips
justinrphillips Regular Member • Posts: 168
Re: Memory card not mounting

Can you see anything when you look in drive manager?  I am curious if it is a mounting issue or something with the card.  Drive manager will show if the system at least sees it.  Where are you formatting this card at?

justinrphillips's gear list:justinrphillips's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +4 more
OP Alandprev Regular Member • Posts: 145

I am formatting the cards in a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 - been doing this for a few weeks but just recently had the problem with the card not mounting. No image or icon appears on the desktop

justinrphillips

Does it not show up at all withing Disk Utility either.  I am just curious if it sees it as an ureadable drive.

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +4 more
Mustafa Senior Member • Posts: 1,327

Is your card reader plugged direct in to your Macs, or via a hub?  I've found my iMac has become somewhat sensitive to this recently, even though my hub is powered.

OP Alandprev Regular Member • Posts: 145

My reader is plugged directly into the usb on the back of my emac. I have tried an old card reader with a CF card and that mounts as will a 256mb card but I know it does not work with SDHC cards. I have tried my newer and newest card readers and neither of them will mont the CF or SD or SDHC cards so maybe I've been unlucky with the new reader and it is faulty. I bought it cheap off ebay. Maybe its a case of you get what you pay for?

a1shot
a1shot Contributing Member • Posts: 929

Hi, I would reset SMC & PRAM on your computers..

Then Turn Off the computer plug In the card reader insert the sd card & then turn On the computer...................

In Finder/Preferences ensure DEVICES & External HD's are checked..

-- hide signature --

Ima' nice kinda guy!

justinrphillips

Just in case you need more info on how to do that!

http://gigaom.com/apple/when-to-reset-your-macs-pram-and-smc/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads