Another over priced 5D III post.

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions
CBuff Regular Member • Posts: 461
Re: Another over priced 5D III post.

A while back, Johnson & Johnson had a unique cardiology stent for coronary artery disease, a drug-coated stent. They overpriced the introduction, and their customers, interventional cardiologists, were forced to buy into this overpriced device to remain in the business.

Fast forward few years: what used to be the market leader, Johnson & Johnson, just announced few months ago that they are exiting this business. From an unquestioned market leader with 80% market share to a disgraceful market exit in less than a decade.

This is a great lesson that should be taught in business school about how to botch a product introduction by overpricing it arrogantly. Canon should read this, and learn from it. Not too late to react, and do the "Right Thing" to its most valuable customers (the early adopter).

Competition doesn't destroy businesses, arrogance does.

CBuff's gear list:CBuff's gear list
Canon PowerShot S400 Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Canon EOS D60 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +3 more
69chevy Senior Member • Posts: 1,617

In 2007 my job required me to move. I bought a house in my newly assigned area. This was at the height of the bubble.

I changed companies and moved again in 2010 (after the housing crash). I just sold it last month for an $80K loss. I was renting it out waiting for the market to recover some. My renter skipped town.

I don't feel taken. Money comes and goes. Sometimes we get lucky, and sometimes we don't. It is the very nature of capitalism.

69chevy's gear list:69chevy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +1 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590

CBuff wrote:

A while back, Johnson & Johnson had a unique cardiology stent for coronary artery disease, a drug-coated stent. They overpriced the introduction, and their customers, interventional cardiologists, were forced to buy into this overpriced device to remain in the business.

Fast forward few years: what used to be the market leader, Johnson & Johnson, just announced few months ago that they are exiting this business. From an unquestioned market leader with 80% market share to a disgraceful market exit in less than a decade.

This is a great lesson that should be taught in business school about how to botch a product introduction by overpricing it arrogantly. Canon should read this, and learn from it. Not too late to react, and do the "Right Thing" to its most valuable customers (the early adopter).

Oh good grief, get a grip!  It's just a camera!

Phil Hill Senior Member • Posts: 2,750

CBuff wrote:

Do you have a recent example of Canon’s arrogance? Responding to market conditions and adjusting the price downward is arrogance? If so, nearly every electronics manufacturer in the world is guilty of that.

I don't believe that pricing a camera at a price higher than you are willing to pay is arrogance, and I certainly don't think it's arrogant to adjust the price downward over time. Arrogance would be maintaining the higher price even as people stopped buying, which apparently is what the OP would prefer.

Dan Marchant Senior Member • Posts: 2,779
Thumbs down

marksee wrote:

I've notice (finally) a number of posts on this forum about the Canon overpricing the 5DIII on it's debut.

when I bought the 5DIII I did so with expectation that the price wouldn't dive within months. Still, what upsets me most is the lack of response by Canon to the original buyers who "feel" taken, and what upsets me second most is the response by members of this forum to posters here like me who feel taken.

So not only where you naive and foolish enough to believe that Canon wouldn't do exactly what every other business does (and has done for years). - Hell people were talking about "when will the price drop" even before it launched - but you also had to start a separate thread to just repeat what has already been said in the other threads?

As for thinking that Canon base their decisions on what we say in a web forum, that is just tragic.

Everyone with half a brain knew the price of the 5D3 would drop quickly, because that is what always happens. If you aren't smart enough to know that, or are just unable to control your urge to spend money, you should probably give over control of your bank account to a responsible adult.

-- hide signature --

Dan
-
I love my girlfriend, my dog and my canon 5DIII - even though none of them ever do what I tell them
I am learning photo graphee - see the results at www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
DSHAPK Contributing Member • Posts: 782

meland wrote:

CBuff wrote:

Oh good grief, get a grip! It's just a camera!

+1. Overpriced is a value judgement. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy any item that is not worth it.

DSHAPK's gear list:DSHAPK's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +3 more
OP marksee Regular Member • Posts: 234

Once again my point is proven.  Most of these responses to my orignial post believe that I am wrong to think that I was overcharged at the debut of the 5DIII.  Call me naive for buying early, but that doesn't make it right for Canon to "feel" the market by pricing high on introduction.  All I've been asking is for Canon to make good to the early adopters who feel taken. Make me a happier customer.  Don't ignore me.  You folks would never charge your wedding customers (especially those that they know each other) different prices for the identical service and if you did you could expect backlash and possibly a reputation problem. As PT Barnum once said "There's a sucker born every minute" I'm not the sucker, you folks are. Keep telling Canon that It's OK and normal to overcharge. They will and we all become suckers.

BTW, I'm not upset by the few hundred dollar price decrease over 6 months. I'm upset at the early $750 price decrease on ebay as canon sneakly dumped thousands of 5DIII camera's through Adorama.

marksee's gear list:marksee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM +1 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590

marksee wrote:

BTW, I'm not upset by the few hundred dollar price decrease over 6 months. I'm upset at the early $750 price decrease on ebay as canon sneakly dumped thousands of 5DIII camera's through Adorama.

You know that for a fact do you?

tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,122
are you serious?

You've got problems. I suspect the camera was a toy to you, not something you need, something you lusted after. No galleries, no photos, no posts, but plenty of wine.

marksee wrote:

I've notice (finally) a number of posts on this forum about the Canon overpricing the 5DIII on it's debut. I believe in free enterprise and charging what the market will bear. Heck, their isn't a company out there that wouldn't do the same, including photographers. I was OK with the original pricing of the 5DIII because it is a wonderful camera that fills most of my needs, but when I bought the 5DIII I did so with expectation that the price wouldn't dive within months.

Should of stopped while you were ahead. You were OK paying the price, but you didn't like the fact that it dropped? Oh, so Canon is supposed to control the retailers price afterwards and keep it artificially high so people like you wouldn't be upset? While screwing people who were smart enough to wait?

If you are keeping the camera for a few years, how does any price drop impact you? It doesn't. It's a don't care.

Still, what upsets me most is the lack of response by Canon to the original buyers who "feel" taken, and what upsets me second most is the response by members of this forum to posters here like me who feel taken. Canon watches these forums and take them into consideration when making marketing decisions. If you guys tell Canon in your replies that it's OK to overprice, which most of you do, then maybe it will be you next time that feels taken.

Waaa, I brought a stock and the price dropped. I'm never going to buy it again!

I know now that I will never be first again with Canon's new releases. That will be my way of stating my position to Canon and their business practices. Finally, I have been a Canon (professional) photographer for over 45 years and will probably remain so.

Impossible that you're a pro for 45 years and don't understand how this works. It's been exactly the same, time after time. It's not going to stop because of you.

If you're a pro (links please) then you should have made enough money off the camera in the time frame to pay for itself. And you shouldn't have the time to make posts like this.

I'm just hoping that enough buyers will wait for new Canon debut prices to level after introduction and that Canon feels it in lower sales. Maybe then they will rethink their future marketing decisions. Lastly, to anyone that writes a negative response to this post, Canon is reading it, so please tell them that It's not OK to ignore buyers who feel taken.

Sure it's OK to ignore, because there's only one or two people who feel that way I actually expected the price to drop more quickly, and lower as the market came into play.

Bottom line is, this is a gear forum, not a complaint forum. How about posting some photos, giving out some technical tips based on your vast 45 year experience, instead of beating a dead horse?

mulder 1361 Regular Member • Posts: 223

Marksee, got mine for 2650, but if I had not. I would have played the $3499.00. Some are gear heads, some sit all day and nothing is ever good enough. Myself, I get out shoot and make money. Too boot, I love the art so much I truely don,t call it work. One can never time technology. How many folks have the perfectly priced wife, kids, car, and job, friends, family, ect. Shot playoff last Friday night $400.00 and will do the same this Friday night, $500.00. Hamilton High in Chandler, AZ. Always in the top 25 in the nation. 7 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS IN 15 years. The device is now 1/3 payed for in less than 2 months. 5dIII at 8000 & 12800. All the best-Regards

Yes ,I have a MKIV @ D3,S ,NEITHER track as well as the 5dIII. Same AF system as 1DX. Over 6400 better than my MKIV.

mulder 1361 Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: are you serious?

Tko, you hit the nail on the head. There are leaders, followers, then some just well never mine. All the best.-Regards

Albert Silver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,312
What planet do you live on?

marksee wrote:

I've notice (finally) a number of posts on this forum about the Canon overpricing the 5DIII on it's debut. I believe in free enterprise and charging what the market will bear. Heck, their isn't a company out there that wouldn't do the same, including photographers. I was OK with the original pricing of the 5DIII because it is a wonderful camera that fills most of my needs, but when I bought the 5DIII I did so with expectation that the price wouldn't dive within months.

Odd. I would have imagined that most people bought it with the expectation that it would work as advertised, that the AF system was as good as claimed, etc.

I know now that I will never be first again with Canon's new releases. That will be my way of stating my position to Canon and their business practices. Finally, I have been a Canon (professional) photographer for over 45 years and will probably remain so.

What planet have you been living on these last 45 years? I take it you never before bought anything electronic or mechanical, at the very least never new. Buy a new car and see its price plummet as of day one. Buy a new LCD TV and watch its price fall off a cliff.

I have an i7 laptop bought new, last year for $750. Today that exact same model is $500 (with MIR rebate). I can assure you the thought never crossed my mind to write the manufacturer to complain about how they are screwing me, and I bought the laptop expecting its price to stay exactly where it was for... some arbitrary time.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy whatsoever for all these completely ridiculous complaints on electronics dropping in prices. People keep writing these posts as if Canon were some odd exception to the rule.

I'm just hoping that enough buyers will wait for new Canon debut prices to level after introduction and that Canon feels it in lower sales. Maybe then they will rethink their future marketing decisions. Lastly, to anyone that writes a negative response to this post, Canon is reading it, so please tell them that It's not OK to ignore buyers who feel taken.

Albert Silver's gear list:Albert Silver's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
BoyJeenyus Regular Member • Posts: 107
are you unhappy with your camera?

I'd think that everyone should know by now that cameras/cars/bikes/and almost ALL products are released at a higher price than they sell for 6 months/a year later.  It's just part of a product's life cycle...seems like electronics show this even more so.  SO, if you buy them in the first 6 months when they're released, just know that you'll see others buying them cheaper a little down the road.

The only question that should really matter to you (or any comsumer) is: do you feel as though the product you buy is worth what you payed for it?  If it was, then it shouldn't matter what anyone else pays for it.  I would have LOVED to get on one of those adorama ebay dumps, but payed about $200 more from another ebay deal....  If the price drops for december/christmas (even if it drops to $2500, which it won"t), I still won't be disappointed in my purchase.  This is a beautiful camera that gives me better images than I've ever shot before.  It's worth every penny of what I payed for it--regardless of what the price does in the future.

Same deal when I've bought computers and other goods....sure the price drops and I watch friends getting the same thing for less $.  But my happiness with my purchase is 100% dependent on whether the product is worth what I payed for it....period.

-- hide signature --

Quit your job, sell everything, and live like you dreamed as a child

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads