European Vacation

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions
Dan W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,401
European Vacation

I just returned from a family vacation to London and Italy. I took my D7000 and C3. I intended to use the C3 primarily as a backup camera but found that I used it quite a bit, due to its size and fun factors. Here are some photos with the 16mm and a Leitz 50mm f/2 Summicron-R. 

DW

I used anti-motion blur here. 6400 iso

The Leitz lens is sharp, as expected.

Not bad for the 16mm and iso 3200, I thought.

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon D7000 +2 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
V1V1D
V1V1D Contributing Member • Posts: 669
Re: European Vacation

Very nice images, looks like a great time. We are hoping to make it to Italy sometime next year or so. Can't wait to finally have a good camera for the trip. Before owning a NEX, I used P&S cameras. There were some really cool places we went to that a good dslr or mirrorless would have been cool. Our trip to Hawaii would of looked alot better, that's for sure.

Thanks for sharing.

V1V1D's gear list:V1V1D's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
OP Dan W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,401

Thanks for the view and comment. It was a great time, no doubt about it. Wish I were still there, but at least I have the photos, and we can go back.

It's a lot of fun to have a nice camera with you on vacation and the NEX is both competent and fun to use. If I had just one camera, I'd want the 6 or 7 but the C3 gets the job done, and is great for bike rides and other situations when a small camera works best. On our last day in Rome, I rented a bike and saw a lot of the city. I took only the C3 with the pancake lens and it worked out well.

Dan

Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon D7000 +2 more
martindesu
martindesu Senior Member • Posts: 1,247

Some nice photos in there

I echo your sentiments about the C3. I actually have the NEX-C3 and it was my first NEX. I now have an NEX-7 too, as my main camera, but I always keep the 16mm pancake on the C3 as it's just such a small, yet powerful, combination.

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more

Thanks. You have a good combination there. I won't give up my D7000 but I sure wouldn't turn down an NEX-7.

The C3 with the 16mm is a great, small combination but when I don't need something that small, I really enjoy using the 50mm Leica (Leitz) R. It's sharp and is built very well, although it's heavy. I've also had good results with a 90mm Tamron lens for macros. My next lens has to be the 16-50. It's versatile, small and apparently delivers.

Dan

nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 15,475

Very nice Dan. I love the variety of shots and all well taken. Bet you had a blast.

All the best Dan, great to see thanks.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

Birds and macro. NEX and m4/3
http://www.birdsinaction.com

nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +6 more

Thanks, Danny!

Dan

Jerry R Forum Pro • Posts: 10,279
Very nice, I find the C3 to be a great travel camera.
-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, Nikon D5000, & NEX C3/Zeiss 24mm E Lens

SHELL999 Forum Member • Posts: 53

Hi, fantastic photos.  Did you mean the NEX C3??  Am tossing up between the NEX F3 and the 5R.  The F3 is alot more affordable for me.....lol

SHELL999 wrote:

Hi, fantastic photos. Did you mean the NEX C3?? Am tossing up between the NEX F3 and the 5R. The F3 is alot more affordable for me.....lol

Thanks!

Yes, the NEX C3, an "old" model ;-). I'm sure that either the F3 or 5R would give you great results. You'll want to save your money for lenses, anyway.

DW

Dan W wrote:

...My next lens has to be the 16-50. It's versatile, small and apparently delivers.
Hmm, after reading the 16-50 "bashing" thread, I'll have to reconsider what I said. I probably will NOT get this lens, unless maybe it's nicely discounted at some point.
greenmartini Regular Member • Posts: 276

Nice shots

Thanks...and a few more photos

Thank you, greenmartini. Here are a few shots I took of the Pantheon in Rome, all with the 16mm. This is the only lens I took with me on an all-day bike ride.

DW

teseg
teseg Senior Member • Posts: 2,208
European Business Trip

Great pictures Dan.  I can't wait until my February Southern Carribean cruise to come back with a slew of bright and interesting vacation pictures.

In the mean time I have to suffice with snagging my travel pictures from business trips.  Just returned from London and got a few.  I have found using my 5N without flash or EVF and using the 24mm stores perfect in my briefcase and is readily available.  That lens really is a great travel companion if wanting to travel light.

An urban garden outside of my hotel

... to remember which city I was visiting

Snagged a quick pic through the window of a moving vehicle while departing as photography was not allowed inside

Riding that big wheel

Got to get the obligatory bus picture while in London

View from my room at the Heathrow Hilton the day before departing

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX10 III
Re: European Business Trip

Those are nice, especially for quick "business" snaps. I especially like #3, with the reflection.

I was tempted by the small size of the C3/16mm combo, but sometimes I wish I had bought the 5N for some of the things it can do. Overall, the C3 has served me well, however.

Dan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads