Apple TV and iPad 2

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions
pops Senior Member • Posts: 1,185
Apple TV and iPad 2

Hi all,                                                                                                                              I am brand new to Apple products and seldom use my gals iPad 2 however however I bought Apple TV when I purchased my MacBook Pro Retina Display and finally decided to hook them up.   The MacBook Pro set up was easy and is running fine but I can not get the iPad 2 to function properly as I am only able to use it on my photos. I can not figure out how to get the ICON asked for anywhere but in my photos where it appears in the top right corner of photos and list Apple TV and iPad. Googling I have found the I should have a window opening up saying AIRPLAY and underlying that iPad, Apple TV, Mirroring ( on & off ) and family room, Apple TV. I get no such widow and no matter how many times I try I can not find a HOME Button on my screen.

Instructions tell me to:

• Swipe your recently used apps twice from left to right until you see the AirPlay icon icon.
  • Tap the AirPlay icon icon to display a list of available AirPlay devices.
  • How do I do this right?
  • Pops
 pops's gear list:pops's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 +9 more
seeblue Senior Member • Posts: 1,662
Re: Apple TV and iPad 2

The Home Button is the hardware button located at the center bottom of the iPad. It's not on the screen.  Double-Tap it to get the multi-tasking bar (recently used apps). Then swipe a couple times until you see the icon.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5209

OP pops Senior Member • Posts: 1,185

Thanks for the reply Seeblue however I have already been through that process and the only results that I get frpm doing that is I get the keyboard and a window up top saying search or Wikipedia search. Pops

Canon EOS M Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 +9 more
MtnGoatJoe Regular Member • Posts: 318

There's also a link to troublshooting in the KB article. My guess is that your problem is forth on the list (but that's just a guess):

• Verify that your AirPlay-enabled devices have the most up-to-date software or firmware.
  • Verify that your iOS device has Wi-Fi turned on. Enable Wi-Fi on your iOS device by going to Settings > Wi-Fi.
  • Verify that all your AirPlay-enabled devices are logged on to the same home Wi-Fi network (check the home network names on your devices to confirm).
  • If trying to AirPlay, or AirPlay mirror, to your Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), ensure that AirPlay is enabled on your Apple TV as well. You can enable or disable AirPlay on Apple TV in the AirPlay menu: Settings > AirPlay
  • Check Internet or network connectivity on all affected devices.
  • Temporarily disable firewalls (both network and local) and security software. Security software and firewalls may block ports that AirPlay uses to stream content. You can often resolve issues with security software by updating, correctly configuring, or uninstalling security software.
  • If attempting to use AirPlay from a third-party app or a website from your Safari app on your iOS device, confirm that the app or website is AirPlay compatible (refer to the developers of the app or website for additional information).  

pops wrote:

Thanks for the reply Seeblue however I have already been through that process and the only results that I get frpm doing that is I get the keyboard and a window up top saying search or Wikipedia search. Pops

You're probably tapping the home button too slowly. A quick double-tap will bring up the recently used apps. Tap too slowly and you'll either end up on the first home screen (if you are not already there), or the search screen.

Or, from the Home Screen do a 4 finger swipe up (quickly) and you'll access the multi-tasking bar without having to double-click the Home Button to get there. Then swipe the bar to get to the icon.

EricWN Senior Member • Posts: 2,224

Since you are new to iOS, you might want to check out the User Guide which is usually available directly on the device as a Safari bookmark. Has some helpful details on the OS and device.

Hi MtnGoatJoe,

I have tapped that Home button a number of times and as fast as I could and every other which way with and without my stylus and nothing works so it is going to be looked at by someone who knows a lot more than I do.

I am perplexed though because my MacBook Pro Retina Display work the first time I tried it and each time since maybe because my MacBook is still under Apple care and the iPad isn't.

Pops

pops wrote:

Hi MtnGoatJoe,

I have tapped that Home button a number of times and as fast as I could and every other which way with and without my stylus and nothing works so it is going to be looked at by someone who knows a lot more than I do.

Check out this video. It shows what you should see when you double-tap the home button.

If that doesn't help, then take it to the Apple store. Make an appointment with a Genius, and he'll do what he can (even if it's not under warrantee).

Check out what video? Pops

Using multitouch gesture instead of Home Button:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H23-5wfZYlc

Below, at 2:23, use Home Button to access Multitasking bar.  At 3:49 using multitouch gestures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKRN-W-ro4M&feature=fvwrel

pops wrote:

Check out what video? Pops

My bad. I missed the link. This gives you a pretty good look at what double-clicking will do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxOD30DbVZw&feature=related

I get the same play area however mine is missing the icon to the right of the FF button otherwise I see the same thing hense NO icon.  Pops

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4215

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5209

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4437

Read and verify all, then make an appointment at Apple, if no luck.

Thanks Seeblue, for all your help with my problem and I need to say that everything I found in going to those links I have tried however tomorrow AM I will repeat all of them to see if I missed anything.

You have been great in your diligence to get my Apple Tv problem fixed so if tomorrow doesn't work I will be off to Best Buy where I purchased both the ladys iPad and Apple TV.

Thanks again. Pops

You have been great in your diligence to get my Apple Tv problem fixed so if tomorrow doesn't work I will be off to Best Buy where I purchased both the ladys iPad and Apple TV.

If possible, make an appointment with a genius bar at an Apple store. You will likely have MUCH better luck than at Best Buy. Also, make sure you sync your iPad with iTunes before you go anywhere. Support personnel just love to delete everything on devices to see if that fixes the problem.

DogShot Contributing Member • Posts: 606

edit - oops, I see that my suggestions were covered by another post...I'll be interested to hear what the problem was.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads