Just got my Sony NEX 5n - wow! A few questions about continuous shooting.

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions
guitarlar Junior Member • Posts: 31
Just got my Sony NEX 5n - wow! A few questions about continuous shooting.

Hello guys!

I recently decided I wanted to buy a decent camera, I have very little knowledge about cameras but love a good photo. I ended up getting a sony nex 5n, the twin lens kit. I got it yesterday and went out this morning to take a few photos! I've never actually left the house before just to take photos, so this was a first! Anyway, I loved the camera and found it so easy to use (I was only using the scene modes) ... here are some of the photos I took, with a little bit of editing in Aperture

Tonight I'm going to a firework display, I've searched and read through some of the other threads about this and I've managed to set my 5n up as suggested by some posters, apart from the speed priority shooting mode. It works in Auto mode, but if I put it on Manual mode or a scene mode, it doesn't work. It will only do single shots. But if I put it into auto mode it does the continuous shooting. Is there any advice someone can give me to sort it out? Thanks a lot!

Also, advice on my photos above would be welcome - I know they wont be great to people who know their photography - but I'm pleased with them and would like to know if I'm making any real obvious errors ... Like I've done something silly aperture that makes the photo look very amateurish hah because I'm only just learning how to use that as well!

Thanks very much, I look forward becoming part of this community and hopefully helping others when I have some knowledge to share myself!

 guitarlar's gear list:guitarlar's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +1 more
wansai Regular Member • Posts: 378
Re: Just got my Sony NEX 5n - wow! A few questions about continuous shooting.

wow you made the kit lense really work for you. Those are some nice shots.

Just wait til you get better glass on that 5n, it will sing.

El Matadurr
El Matadurr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,018
Re: Just got my Sony NEX 5n - wow! A few questions about continuous shooting.
5

guitarlar wrote:

Tonight I'm going to a firework display, I've searched and read through some of the other threads about this and I've managed to set my 5n up as suggested by some posters, apart from the speed priority shooting mode. It works in Auto mode, but if I put it on Manual mode or a scene mode, it doesn't work. It will only do single shots. But if I put it into auto mode it does the continuous shooting. Is there any advice someone can give me to sort it out? Thanks a lot!

Shoot in manual mode, stop down to about f/8, use base ISO. Set your camera up on a tripod and use one of those cheap infrared shutter triggers (you can get them for a couple bucks on Amazon), and go from there (notice how in my examples the shutter speeds are all different, you have to adjust on-the-fly for particular fireworks that are brighter/dimmer than others). You don't want to try to handhold them unless you are going for a shaky effect.

28mm

28mm

28mm

Also, your pictures are fine. Keep shooting, you'll only get better.

http://matthewdurrphotography.com

 El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6500 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
DuncanDovovan
DuncanDovovan Senior Member • Posts: 1,277
Re: Just got my Sony NEX 5n - wow! A few questions about continuous shooting.

Oh man, I soooo gotta try this out. First New Year's eve with my NEX. Can't wait!

Great stuff!

-- hide signature --

I'm a peaceful person looking for clarity and harmony and willing to help. If you believe my post had the intention to harm you in some way, you are probably wrong. =;-) Please verify first before assuming something bad happened to you. I can be a bit too brief at times. =;-)

Zisun_ahmed Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Just got my Sony NEX 5n - wow! A few questions about continuous shooting.

Congratulations!! your pictures look beautiful.enjoy ur camera.

 Zisun_ahmed's gear list:Zisun_ahmed's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Zisun_ahmed Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Just got my Sony NEX 5n - wow! A few questions about continuous shooting.

El Matadurr wrote:

guitarlar wrote:

Tonight I'm going to a firework display, I've searched and read through some of the other threads about this and I've managed to set my 5n up as suggested by some posters, apart from the speed priority shooting mode. It works in Auto mode, but if I put it on Manual mode or a scene mode, it doesn't work. It will only do single shots. But if I put it into auto mode it does the continuous shooting. Is there any advice someone can give me to sort it out? Thanks a lot!

Shoot in manual mode, stop down to about f/8, use base ISO. Set your camera up on a tripod and use one of those cheap infrared shutter triggers (you can get them for a couple bucks on Amazon), and go from there (notice how in my examples the shutter speeds are all different, you have to adjust on-the-fly for particular fireworks that are brighter/dimmer than others). You don't want to try to handhold them unless you are going for a shaky effect.

28mm

28mm

28mm

Also, your pictures are fine. Keep shooting, you'll only get better.

http://matthewdurrphotography.com

These pictures look absolutely fantastic.which lens did you use? dont tell me it was the kit lens

 Zisun_ahmed's gear list:Zisun_ahmed's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
El Matadurr
El Matadurr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,018
Re: Just got my Sony NEX 5n - wow! A few questions about continuous shooting.

Zisun_ahmed wrote:

These pictures look absolutely fantastic.which lens did you use? dont tell me it was the kit lens

Even worse, the Nikon 28mm f/2.8 Series-E. Took these while I was working on its appropriate review. Your kit lens will look just fine. Keep in mind this was during a July 4th show. It was my first time trying this, and I took something like 200 exposures during the show experimenting with different settings. I ended up with about 30 awesome shots.

Be proactive when you try this: look at a picture on the LCD after every few or so. Looks bad? Change some settings until it looks better!

Good luck!

http://matthewdurrphotography.com

 El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6500 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
Sphinx_man Regular Member • Posts: 369
Re: Just got my Sony NEX 5n - wow! A few questions about continuous shooting.

Hi - Some pics there! Kit lens is not so bad. As was pointed out already shoot in manual mode, stop down to about f/8 or more and use base ISO (100). Tripod + remote shutter release important too. My clicks from NEX-5N - kit18-55 with the above settings.

Enjoy clicking pics!

SG

 Sphinx_man's gear list:Sphinx_man's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +1 more
Philtration Regular Member • Posts: 124
Re: Just got my Sony NEX 5n - wow! A few questions about continuous shooting.

Amazing ISO capability - these were shot on 6400.



 Philtration's gear list:Philtration's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
OP guitarlar Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: Just got my Sony NEX 5n - wow! A few questions about continuous shooting.

Your pictures all look amazing! I can't wait to be able to take firework shots as good as those above - thanks for the words of encouragement as well. I've downloaded the friedman guide to the Nex, I'm just reading it now, it's very good so far - nice and easy to understand!

I didn't end up taking my camera to the firework display, I wish I had when I was there but I knew I'd just be fiddling with the settings through the whole display and probably not enjoy it and just annoy my girlfriend hah - so definitely next time when I'm a bit better at using the camera!

 guitarlar's gear list:guitarlar's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +1 more
kapanak Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: Just got my Sony NEX 5n - wow! A few questions about continuous shooting.

Did not read the responses so far, but the left click of your NEX-5N back wheel allows you to select shooting modes, including continuous mode.

Also, be careful pointing it towards the sun. The sensor is always exposed, so you do risk damaging the sensor if it is directly pointed at the sun for more than a couple of seconds.

It definitely takes a while to get used to all the settings on a NEX camera. I highly recommend you to read the manual, it would really open your eyes to some of the more hidden settings.

FuzzyQball
FuzzyQball Senior Member • Posts: 1,630
Re: Just got my Sony NEX 5n - wow! A few questions about continuous shooting.

Glad that you are enjoying it.  It's a great camera.  In general, you have a good eye for composition, and that is a great place to start from.

-- hide signature --

Glenn

 FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Philtration Regular Member • Posts: 124
Re: Just got my Sony NEX 5n - wow! A few questions about continuous shooting.

Thanks Guitarlar. I have to say, the camera took a while to get used to and only really started to sing when I got the FDA viewfinder. It's expensive, but worth every penny as you can really take advantage of the camera's amazing performance and I keep it on all the time now. And you can actually see the picture in the sunshine.

The other thing that took me a while to realise was the importance of setting up the buttons. I have ISO on right of the knurled wheel then autofocus area, manual focus, metering mode and DRO on the centre button for easy quick changes. Took me ages to work that out!!

Anyway, hope you get as much fun and satisfaction out of it as I do and good luck. It's a great little camera and for someone who is just an amateur, I have found the kit lenses to be great.

 Philtration's gear list:Philtration's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads