damn you sony, damn you. firs shot with the d600

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions
kevindar
kevindar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,562
damn you sony, damn you. firs shot with the d600

coming from canon camp. Just trying out the d600. I think I am too invested in canon to switch, but when it comes to landscape, the new nikons are really game changers b/c of latitude in dynamic range

before

after

and another one earlier

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sony a7R II Sony a6300 +25 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Volksgti81 Contributing Member • Posts: 792
Re: damn you sony, damn you. firs shot with the d600

Wow!!! It's as if you can literally shoot in the dark and still have a workable image. What Canon are you coming from? What would you say outside of sensor performance with the Nikon would you prefer over Canon? Hell of a shot by the way.

Volksgti81's gear list:Volksgti81's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
painterdude
painterdude Senior Member • Posts: 2,857

way cool example. Thanks for sharing this

g

painterdude's gear list:painterdude's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
thejohnnerparty Senior Member • Posts: 1,062

Was the pic shot near Encinitas, Ca by chance. I haven't been there in nearly 60 year, but it looks like what I remember.

thejohnnerparty's gear list:thejohnnerparty's gear list
Sony RX100
kevindar
OP kevindar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,562

Volksgti81 wrote:

Wow!!! It's as if you can literally shoot in the dark and still have a workable image. What Canon are you coming from? What would you say outside of sensor performance with the Nikon would you prefer over Canon? Hell of a shot by the way.

yeah, there is a lot of latitude in the shadows. It really allows you to expose for the highlights, and for many cases, obviate the need for a filter or bracketing.

I come from a 5d3.

The d600 is very customizable. it has some nice things like better implementation of auto iso, by allowing you to set the min shutter speed at a wide range.  there is faster access to some of the things for a landscape shooter, like bracketing, mirror lockup (which in days of live view is inconsequential), etc.  That much said, I am used to ergonomics of 5d3, and far more comfortable with it.

Its not fair for me to compare the two, b/c with the exception of 14-24, I lack good glass for the nikon.  I really like the canon lens line up.  So far I would say the autofocusing of 5d3 seems to be clearly better.  Faster to focus, more accurate, better tracking. however, some of that is the function of the consumer Nikon lenses I am shooting.  All things considered, If canon was using this sensor in the 5d3, it would be the ideal camera for me in every conceivable way.

well I make the permanent switch?  I dont know yet. maybe I will buy the tamron 24-70 2.8 VC and go dual format for a while.

Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sony a7R II Sony a6300 +25 more
kevindar

its rancho palos verdes, California, looking west, at Catalina.

Volksgti81 Contributing Member • Posts: 792

5D 3 over here as well. Thanks for your response and the insight. Outside of the obvious shadow recovery how is overall image quality compared with the 5D 3?

Volksgti81's gear list:Volksgti81's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
jsbeith Regular Member • Posts: 188

Outstanding!

Scott

Prairie Pal Senior Member • Posts: 2,724

kevindar wrote:

Volksgti81 wrote:

yeah, there is a lot of latitude in the shadows. It really allows you to expose for the highlights, and for many cases, obviate the need for a filter or bracketing.

http://razzi.me/kevindar/photos

I was thinking the same thing about obliviating the need for filtering and bracketing, and to some degree reducing the need for carrying a tripod (when bracketing).  I shoot alot of heritage museums (where it's encouraged) and I recently took the D600 for a spin where I normally had been using a D90.  The lighting is gastly difficult (mixed and weak).  I took the camera through the ringer trying to capture the light different ways.  I shot ISO up to 6400.  I shot ISO 100 using up to 30 second exposures.  I underexposed and hand held in an attempt to find a compromise between grain and shadow recovery.  I'm not qualified to quantify the results scientifically, but all I can say is that "its all good" !.

Prairie Pal's gear list:Prairie Pal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
kevindar

Volksgti81 wrote:

5D 3 over here as well. Thanks for your response and the insight. Outside of the obvious shadow recovery how is overall image quality compared with the 5D 3?

I have not shot them side by side, but my gut feeling is, very similar.  i dont think much separates the high iso performance, but low iso performance greatly favors Nikon. Sony just makes a better sensor.

Hotphotons Contributing Member • Posts: 533
It's not just landscapes that benifit

It's not just landscapes, check this interior museum shot:

Hotphotons's gear list:Hotphotons's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Stepanfo Senior Member • Posts: 1,220
Re: It's not just landscapes that benifit

Hotphotons wrote:

You overdid this. The left "rib" right left to the window should be that dark as the ones on the right side of the fuselage. What is in the window is unnaturally grey now. There is nothing wrong with clipped highlights sometimes. Your eyes would see the window brigher too when adjusted to the inside.

Stepanfo wrote:

Hotphotons wrote:

You overdid this. The left "rib" right left to the window should be that dark as the ones on the right side of the fuselage. What is in the window is unnaturally grey now. There is nothing wrong with clipped highlights sometimes. Your eyes would see the window brigher too when adjusted to the inside.

Yes that left rib bothered me too. Just learning so I will have to work with it some more.

Nikon D90 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
bvd Regular Member • Posts: 250

My cheap d7000 can do the same

bvd's gear list:bvd's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony a6000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +2 more
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 60,519

kevindar wrote: The d600 is very customizable. it has some nice things like better implementation of auto iso, by allowing you to set the min shutter speed at a wide range. there is faster access to some of the things for a landscape shooter, like bracketing, mirror lockup (which in days of live view is inconsequential), etc. That much said, I am used to ergonomics of 5d3, and far more comfortable with it.

That changes quite fast. I'm still dual system, but the D800 is what I pick up most of the time. I never reversed all the controls to run Canon-wise (which you can, if you wish) but that one doesn't seem too much of an issue. I took the Canon out yesterday, and already I find that my shutter finger is moving down to the control wheel rather than up, my thumb goes up, rather than down and the long drag from the back panel wheel to the focus button seems inconvenient compared with the quick movement sideways. That, and I kept on leaving the back wheel locked. So, I'd say on the whole, when it comes to comfort, I'm more comfortable with the Nikon UI now, to the point of wondering who was it at Canon who ever thought that back wheel was a good idea.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,623

bvd wrote:

So can my D5100. And its half the price of your expensive D7000

edit ... I did put a wink smiley in above .... but it didn't come out, even though its in the edited text. Hmmm ... maybe I have to press the idiot button above .... lets try ...:-)

ah ... I see ... there is no emoticon symbol for a wink, even though the : - ; option is there. Bizarre ..

kevindar

to make interface better, i have to figure how to show grid in live view, and when i press a button for tha values to show in rear lcd.  I also wish there was something like canon q button, where all important parameters would show and could be changed

bvd wrote:

Can you post an example showing the same capability in a D7000?

Deleted-pending Senior Member • Posts: 2,665
Indeed

The D5100 and D7000 do the same. In fact, even the older CCD sensors do about the same trick, if you use a well exposed shots and nikon NX software. A strange behaviour appeared when I upgraded Capture NX: shadow recovery seems not to work the same way any more (bringing out magenta tones in the shadows from time to time).

For your shots I would suggest to keep some shadows-darker tones, this would make your shot less flat.

Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,623

Hotphotons wrote:

bvd wrote:

Can you post an example showing the same capability in a D7000?

Are you asking because you doubt what bvd said?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads