Electronic Viewfinder - Drop Rear Screen?

Started Nov 3, 2012 | Discussions
GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 13,130
Re: Electronic Viewfinder - Drop Rear Screen?

cfgphoto wrote:

but I can't think of anything that it's essential for.

It's pretty much essential for any camera that also shoots video.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +47 more
Alohaman Contributing Member • Posts: 576
Re: No, disagree...

redsim74 wrote:

I would not forgo an articulated LCD screen.

I often shoot at waist level and there are numerous occasions where I require a floor level or a high (camera held above my head) angle, something that just an EVF (or OVF) can't match.

Fully agree with redsim 74.  The screen on my NEX 7 is great.  I also have a Canon T4i with an articulated screen which (screen wise) is much better than my now gone 5DII.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
cfgphoto
OP cfgphoto Junior Member • Posts: 35
OK, it's popular

Yes, it seems the rear LCD is popular, but my point may have been missed somewhat, or maybe I phrased it poorly.

I'm not opposed to having the rear screen, especially on cameras such as most DSLRs where it's a comfortable fit and adds little weight. The rear LCD on my Canon 60D is a thing of beauty, right at home and much-used. However, currently the trend is to design small cameras around large sensors. A great idea and one that I'm all for, but one where the bulk of a rear screen seems a bit out of place.

I bought the NEX-7 specifically because along with its other great features it has a viewfinder. The NEX-6 appeals because it has a viewfinder and a manual mode knob. The NEX-5N? Wouldn't even consider it. I admit it; direct see-it, handle-it type controls are my preference.

The problem when I look at a camera like the RX100 is that I'm delighted right up until the moment I see that it doesn't have a viewfinder. Looking at the rear of the RX100 it's pretty obvious that there isn't room for a screen and a viewfinder and also the buttons are pretty tiny. But if the LCD was removed there would be depth enough for an electronic viewfinder and width enough for larger buttons or more hard controls instead of software controls.

So, as we have an RX100 and an RX1, it may be a fair bet that lurking somewhere is an RX10. If it had an APS-size 20-24MP sensor and a lens around 28-105/135 (35mm equivalent) and was as compact as that specification allows, I'd think about it. But not without a viewfinder. Without a screen, yes; without a viewfinder, no.

Geoff Bryant

www.cfgphoto.com

Jefenator
Jefenator Senior Member • Posts: 2,678
Re: OK, it's popular

I see what you're getting at and I think I agree.

If the rear LCD were absent, I would miss it. But I would miss EVF more. (My EVF/LCD shooting ratio is about 90/10.)

Seems like an EVF-only design would probably only be considered where compactness were to be maximized - and maybe to trim the price a bit. Both things I would find attractive for a true pocket camera.

Having said that, my N7 has both options and I wouldn't want my main camera body any smaller!

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony Alpha NEX-7 +8 more
Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 4,194

If the LCD is kept, why not let us play MP4 and movie etc on it? and use it as a diary, contact manager, i.e. PDA, GPS, e-reader, also browse the Internet and listen to MP3, send email, Swipe input, etc. Playmemories applications? Everything else is already there in the camera, SD card, processor, WiFi, and a touch screen.

I think it will be an Android camera that will do this first. There are countless Android applications already.

Perhaps a detachable LCD, which functions like a PDA or smartphone when taken out of the camera?

Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 4,194

Maybe Samsung will make an Android smartphone that can be plugged into its NX camera, for use as the camera's monitor, or just as a phone when detached, and perhaps also as the remote for controlling the camera.

So, don't drop, just converge.

wb2trf Veteran Member • Posts: 3,033
Why should the supermarket have apples and peaches?

Think of all the space wasted on peaches that could be saved since there are apples.  Not to mention if we got rid of bananas too.  I could save time shopping with fewer feet to push a cart through.  Now that I think about it, supermarkets stock 50,000 different items and I only buy 20, so why not have one that stocks my 20 items.  It could be the size of my pantry.  Think of the savings.  Some supermarket should try this.  I'd shop there.

Your taste is not everyone's taste, not even most people's.  It's not happening.

Beaverhelmet Senior Member • Posts: 1,921

Agreed. The LCD on my A77 stays closed and turned inwards 90% of the time. I only use it for a few shots in hard angles and for reviewing photos at the end of the day. I actually don't use the top LCD either, all I need to know is right there in the EVF.

pmow
pmow Contributing Member • Posts: 825

Not much space is gained, really.  The camera is slightly thicker but the most noticable bulk is from the viewfinder.

pmow's gear list:pmow's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads