FZ200 - Overcast sky, very poor light today. PPing saves the day!

Started Nov 3, 2012 | Discussions
RudyPohl Veteran Member • Posts: 4,759
FZ200 - Overcast sky, very poor light today. PPing saves the day!

Sometimes a little extra PPing can save a poorly lit shot. Here's little female wood duck from today. It was very dark outside and just starting to rain. Before and after.

Rudy

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
okkie68
okkie68 Contributing Member • Posts: 865
Re: FZ200 - Overcast sky, very poor light today. PPing saves the day!

...what a good job you did....I've read somewhere that the darks (details) can be saved a bit, the lights not...right?

okkie68's gear list:okkie68's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000
zs7guy Regular Member • Posts: 203

wonderful work.  

mind to share your wonderful PPing techniques and software you used ?

Thx

TanukiSan
TanukiSan Regular Member • Posts: 193

Pretty good job Rudy.

-- hide signature --
 TanukiSan's gear list:TanukiSan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
OP RudyPohl Veteran Member • Posts: 4,759

zs7guy wrote:

wonderful work.

Thx

Hi zs7guy:

I wouldn't mind at all except I can't remember. On photos like this I just keep experimenting with all different kinds of things (brightness, HDR, contrast, saturation  the kitchen sink... everything) until I find a sequence of tweaks that works. I usually have to delete several attempts before I get a keeper.

I this case her pose was so delightful that I was determined to save the photo, so I worked at  the PPing for a long time.

Sorry I could be of more help.

Cheers,

Rudy

TanukiSan

When higlight clipping occurs there's often not enough data in de white spots to get detail back in that parts. Lightening up dark area's works a bit better. The info is still in the dark parts,
but so is the noise luring in those parts. Better you get get the  exposure done right when shooting.
If there's a shortage of light better pick a higher ISO since it will give you less noise,
better controlable in PP'ing, than lightening up the dark parts in an underexposed image.

-- hide signature --
Florida Nature Photographer Veteran Member • Posts: 8,104

Rudy

How do you do the before after side by side like that?

-- hide signature --

Florida

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
TanukiSan

The simple way:

Make a new blank image twice the size, horizontally, of the original and copy and paste the original
and the PP'ed image to that new window. Align 1 to the left the other to the right.

Or:

Just horizontally double the size the canvas and copy and paste one of the 2 into this resized canvas.

-- hide signature --

RudyPohl wrote:

zs7guy wrote:

wonderful work.

Thx

Hi zs7guy:

I wouldn't mind at all except I can't remember. On photos like this I just keep experimenting with all different kinds of things (brightness, HDR, contrast, saturation the kitchen sink... everything) until I find a sequence of tweaks that works. I usually have to delete several attempts before I get a keeper.

I this case her pose was so delightful that I was determined to save the photo, so I worked at the PPing for a long time.

Sorry I could be of more help.

Cheers,

Rudy

Thanks Rudy.

IMO, after the photographer nailed the photo with good composition, good lighting, good sense of moment, only one more thing that make him better is PPing with a good software

Thanks again Rudy

Thanks guys:

When I switched over to spot metering today I got lots of shots that were properly exposed, the problem is that the underexposed shot above was the only interesting one of the entire photo shoot. So I had to choose between processing the boring shots that were properly exposed (of which I already have lots), or trying to salvage this far more interesting shot that is poorly lit.

AS a rule, I only post one shot from each daily photo in my Flickr gallery, so I didn't want another typical female Wood Duck... anyway, I went with this one and I think it is still fairly acceptable as far as image quality is concerned (borderline IQ). If and when I get a similar posed wood duck  that is better exposed I will replace it with the better one.

Cheers,

Rudy

Kevin Omura
Kevin Omura Senior Member • Posts: 2,112

Wow that's quite the difference! Good work!

Kevin Omura's gear list:Kevin Omura's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G2 Canon PowerShot G6 +61 more
John Beavin
John Beavin Senior Member • Posts: 2,934

Are you trying to tell us you get a lot of rejects Rudy?  Oh well, I guess some of us are honest.

John Beavin's gear list:John Beavin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Nikon Coolpix P520 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 +1 more

John Beavin wrote:

Are you trying to tell us you get a lot of rejects Rudy? Oh well, I guess some of us are honest.

That is normal IMO.

I do take many photos in a session but only keep few of them ...

danielsonkin
danielsonkin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,712

Great example how pp'ing can save the day, Rudy.  Beautiful bird!

Daniel

danielsonkin's gear list:danielsonkin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Canon PowerShot G11 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Apple iPhone 6 +2 more
danielsonkin
danielsonkin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,712

okkie68 wrote:

...what a good job you did....I've read somewhere that the darks (details) can be saved a bit, the lights not...right?

In general that's true, Ella.  However, the detail in the light areas can be brought back too if they are not totally blown out - completely white.

Daniel

danielsonkin's gear list:danielsonkin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Canon PowerShot G11 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Apple iPhone 6 +2 more
manthasfamily
manthasfamily Veteran Member • Posts: 6,443

Great job in saving the day Rudy!  You really brought out the detail and color.

-- hide signature --

Karen
If it pleases you then to hell what everyone else thinks!

TanukiSan wrote:

The simple way:

Make a new blank image twice the size, horizontally, of the original and copy and paste the original
and the PP'ed image to that new window. Align 1 to the left the other to the right.

Or:

Just horizontally double the size the canvas and copy and paste one of the 2 into this resized canvas.

Sounds like you do a lot of work in Photoshop. I'd have to Google to learn how to do those things. Maybe Rudy does it in a way that I would be more familiar with the techniques?

-- hide signature --

Florida

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more

Hi again... I have been a professional computer artist for the last 24 years... I could almost do this  sort of thing while I'm sleeping... so I probably have a little advantage over some of you... However, it is still as much fun for me today as when I started in 1988 with my first MacIntosh computer.

Rudy

Rossmanshff
Rossmanshff Regular Member • Posts: 163

Good job Rudy! You show whats possible for us noobies! Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Ross

Rossmanshff's gear list:Rossmanshff's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD850 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150

RudyPohl wrote:

Hi again... I have been a professional computer artist for the last 24 years... I could almost do this sort of thing while I'm sleeping... so I probably have a little advantage over some of you... However, it is still as much fun for me today as when I started in 1988 with my first MacIntosh computer.

Rudy

Florida is trying to imagine editing a photo on a 9" display.

-- hide signature --

Florida

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads