Just cancelled my D600 order

Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions
PeterTX Senior Member • Posts: 1,000
Just cancelled my D600 order

I looked at my lenses:

35 1.8 DX

18-105 DX

70-300 FX

If I were to buy my D600 + 28-300 I would have to pay 2500 given I can get 500 for my D90 + 18-105  lens. Probably a reasonable assumption

However after having reviewed the pics and compared to my D90 I cant justify the additional 2500 as a happy amateur. So I cancelled my order.

Now my question is given the D7000 is quite a good camera and I could still use my lenses so an effective upgrade cost would be roughly 700 or less. I can live with that.

Although a lot of people advice me to get a better lens instead of a new body. So what would you guys recommend? Upgrade to D7000 or get a new low light lens and if so which one?

Would like to stay below $1000 and also if I buy a new lens I would like it to work on a FX in the future since one day I will go to full frame.

I would like better ISO or rather low light capability and not really at the long end. With the new body of course it would be across the whole range but if I buy a new lens I would focus on the less than 100mm range.

Thanks

PeterTX's gear list:PeterTX's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Manzur Fahim
Manzur Fahim Senior Member • Posts: 1,717
Re: Just cancelled my D600 order

PeterTX wrote:

I looked at my lenses:

35 1.8 DX

18-105 DX

70-300 FX

If I were to buy my D600 + 28-300 I would have to pay 2500 given I can get 500 for my D90 + 18-105 lens. Probably a reasonable assumption

However after having reviewed the pics and compared to my D90 I cant justify the additional 2500 as a happy amateur. So I cancelled my order.

Now my question is given the D7000 is quite a good camera and I could still use my lenses so an effective upgrade cost would be roughly 700 or less. I can live with that.

Although a lot of people advice me to get a better lens instead of a new body. So what would you guys recommend? Upgrade to D7000 or get a new low light lens and if so which one?

Would like to stay below $1000 and also if I buy a new lens I would like it to work on a FX in the future since one day I will go to full frame.

I would like better ISO or rather low light capability and not really at the long end. With the new body of course it would be across the whole range but if I buy a new lens I would focus on the less than 100mm range.

Thanks

I am actually almost in the same position as you. Except, I already bought D800, and now can't justify the camera due to the way I use them. Nothing sort of professional, only hobby.

And Immediately I thought of my last camera, Nikon D7000. Great camera, and you have the lenses. I would suggest (If I can, as I stepped in the temptation already) to get D7000, and get good lens. It would still turn out cheaper than D600 and the 28-300 is not a very good lens anyway.

How about: Sell D90 + 18-105 and get D7000 and Nikon 16-85mm VR or Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS ? Keep the 70-300 for now and if you prefer, change it later if you want to with the new Nikon 70-200 f4 VRIII when it gets cheaper?

So your new setup will be:

Nikon D7000

Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX

Nikon 16-85mm VR or Sigma 17-50mm f2/.8 OS

70-300mm FX lens

How about that?

I am seriously considering returning my D800 and Get a D7000 with either of those lenses and a 70-300 VC.

Manzur Fahim's gear list:Manzur Fahim's gear list
Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon D810 +6 more
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,746

PeterTX wrote:

I looked at my lenses:

35 1.8 DX

18-105 DX

70-300 FX

If I were to buy my D600 + 28-300 I would have to pay 2500 given I can get 500 for my D90 + 18-105 lens. Probably a reasonable assumption

Although a lot of people advice me to get a better lens instead of a new body. So what would you guys recommend? Upgrade to D7000 or get a new low light lens and if so which one?

Thanks

I own a D7000 and some good glass.  The D90 really isn't that far behind the D7000. The glass you have really isn't that far behind mine.  The biggest improvement for me has been a SB-700, a SB-600 as remote, and a few books on how to use externally lighting well. I suspect a skill improvement and some external lighting will get you a far bigger bang for the buck and then you can save for the D7100.  Good Luck.

JMZ48 Contributing Member • Posts: 503

Good advise, however at this point of time I'd suggest you to consider a little modified approach: seat and wait a while, about (3) month.

Since Nikon is going to anounce 16-85 F4 VRIII any time soon,  and 70-200 F4 VRIII is already anounced.... why not to keep what you have till both new faster lenses are readily available and make move then...???  It will push you back to February... so what?

Get lens(es) first, then, maybe you find your existing camera to be good enough with this semi-pro lenses. You will not go wrong with new glass. Do not expect, as Mako said to see much improvement between D90 and D7000.  Pic's quality will be very close.

Your other option will be just adding Nikon 16-85 F4, plus Tokina 11-16 F2.8 and keep 70-300.    All together, the glass is more important then the body that includes some more gimick.  In real life, if you can't take picture with D90, then you will not be able to take it with neither D7000 nor D600.

OP PeterTX Senior Member • Posts: 1,000

Well, early March I have a vacation coming up where I am heading to Costa Rica so I can wait to February but not much longer. But you are right  no rush  right now.

EKB Regular Member • Posts: 317

You might consider getting a 50mm f/1.8:

• Cheap - very cheap if you get the f/1.8D
  • Gives you more low-light capability (along the your 35mm f/1.8)
  • You can keep using it if/when you go to FX

Just a thought.

EKB's gear list:EKB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D90 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +3 more
mistermejia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,340

PeterTX wrote:

I looked at my lenses:

35 1.8 DX

18-105 DX

70-300 FX

Thanks

Get the D7000 and Keep the 35mm. Recently i upgraded from my 18-55 to the 16-85 for $440 on craigslist. If you can sell your 18-105 and get the 16-85 at a good price i think you will be happy with it, but i would not pay $650 for the 16-85. That lens you already have has REALLY good glass, and a good zoom range. Also, I don't see why i would have to pay a $1000 for a newer 16-85 f4 VRIII, for what i do, and if it does come out.

What i would also do is upgrade your 70-300 to a 70-200 VRI or 80-200 ED 2.8 or a $600 70-200 Tamron or ANY 2.8 you can afford. I actually skipped the 70-300VR and found an awesome manual focus Vivitar Series 1 70-210 2.8 and i LOVE IT!

Samy's camera is having the NO TAX sale this month, you might want to take advantage of that and if you decide to go make sure you get there REALLY early, it gets packed. A D7000 for $999 OUT THE DOOR!! That is a pretty darn good deal!

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 8,920

JMZ48 wrote:

Good advise, however at this point of time I'd suggest you to consider a little modified approach: seat and wait a while, about (3) month.

Since Nikon is going to anounce 16-85 F4 VRIII any time soon, and 70-200 F4 VRIII is already anounced.... why not to keep what you have till both new faster lenses are readily available and make move then...??? It will push you back to February... so what?

Get lens(es) first, then, maybe you find your existing camera to be good enough with this semi-pro lenses. You will not go wrong with new glass. Do not expect, as Mako said to see much improvement between D90 and D7000. Pic's quality will be very close.

Your other option will be just adding Nikon 16-85 F4, plus Tokina 11-16 F2.8 and keep 70-300. All together, the glass is more important then the body that includes some more gimick. In real life, if you can't take picture with D90, then you will not be able to take it with neither D7000 nor D600.

This would be my advice in general - but I would also suggest considering a slightly different option if you don't need all the bells and whistles of the D7000 (or its successor) but want good image quality in a more travel-friendly package - think about the D5100 or the D5200 to be announced on November 6th, just in time for Christmas.  This camera will likely have a 24MP sensor, possibly the same as the D7000 followon if the D5100/D7000 pattern continues, but in a smaller body. If you're used to and are satisfied with the D90's 11-point AF, the D5100/D5200 will give you a noticeable step up in noise quality re: the D90, but Mako is right - at 200 and above, the IQ is very similiar.  The big advantage of the newer sensors is that they give you one more stop of high ISO.  If you stopped at ISO 800, you'll be able to go to 1600.

But the best thing to do as a step up is get faster, higher quality lenses.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
stuntmonkey
stuntmonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,729

PeterTX wrote:

I think a pat on the back is in order. I think everybody should do as they see fit, but as a pretty frugal individual, I like seeing it's benefits in others from time to time.

If you were thinking of upgrading to the D600 in the first instance, going to the D7000 is probably the way to go. If you wanted to upgrade your camera body, it probably means that you aren't changing your shooting style (like adding more telephoto or going wider). Going to the D7000 will give you an extra stop in ISO, so it's like a lens upgrade for your existing lenses, but really, it's not just high ISO, but ISO across the range that gets improved.

pixd90 Senior Member • Posts: 1,464

I have the same set-up but also own the Sigma 8-16 and Sigma 17-50 2.8.  I am an avid "consumer" photographer with no intentions of going pro.  I belong to various camera clubs and photo shoot groups so i do take a lot of photos in different situations. I would also like better ISO and low light capability, but where does it end and at what cost (cost vs need vs camera envy).

Although D600 is a major step-up it is still the low-end FX. I don't want to take a big hit on my equipment. Don't think its worth upgrading to D7000 with 2 year old technology. Will wait for the D300s/D7000 replacement. In the meantime will be looking at nikon 105 macro.

You are in pretty good shape as you would only lose the inexpensive 35mm and the kit lens. I would recommend going with a f2.8 and other FX lens to increase low light capabilities and wait for new line of cameras.

Good luck

pixd90's gear list:pixd90's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
JMZ48 Contributing Member • Posts: 503

Understand about your trip and timing.

Just would like to mention to you, that myself I will go to that same region of the world this December and I will take with me only (1) lens that is 16-85 which will be just enough. If I take enything else it will be 35mm F1.8 for low light photography.  I had 18-105 lens and I see it so close in quality, that I'd not hesitate to take it instead of 16-85.   I would take 70-300 only in case if I'd plan to photograph wild life or birds etc.

Most likely i will take with me D7000, but there is good probability that I will take D40 instead.   I used that set on many trips with great results... so if D5100 (or new D5200) find your interest (as somebody is suggesting), it may be all you need with existing 18-105.

There are many points of view and everybody will be correct.  You need to make decisions on your own.   All Nikon cameras, even those cheap ones do provide good exposure and deliver quality.  I'd rather would pay more attention to camera/lens seals, humidity resistance, water resistance and protective gear, then to sensor density or newest camera model desires.  Also, I'd pay attention to things like filters that may be life savers in some circumstances.

Previously I said about new F4 lenses for the reason.   Those will have much better weather protection and seals then consumer grade lenses, also D7000/D7100 will give more protection as the body of that cam is well made.  On another hand low cost body and low cost lense like 18-105 will be less costly to replace in case of any mischap.  You are the one who know how you will be using your equipment there, so you will be the best judge yourself to answer question: - what I want to take and expose to humidity/water riscs, or rough treatment.

rsjoberg Contributing Member • Posts: 550

You are wise! I'm still shooting with a D200 and have been getting increasingly enthusiastic about the D700 now that the price has dropped. I have a 12-24 f4, a 17-55 f2.8, a 60 f2.8 D, and a 70-200 f2.8 VR1. I had a 50 f1.4 D until recently. I considered going to the D800 when it came out. I would have had to sell the DX zooms and get a 16-35 f4 VR and make do with the 50 and 60 in the middle.

I would take a hit in the wallet, end up with a much larger wide zoom to carry, and have no wonderful fast zoom in the middle. Plus I would have to look at upgrading my computer and storage. Would the images be so much more stunning? I seldom print larger than 13x19. I sold the 50, bought the 35 f1.8, and will wait until Spring to buy a new DX when it comes out or maybe even the D7000 and grip if the price is right. That 35 is a wonderful little lens and my 60 still behaves like a 90!

rsjoberg's gear list:rsjoberg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +5 more
HansN46
HansN46 Contributing Member • Posts: 881

PeterTX wrote:

I looked at my lenses:

35 1.8 DX

18-105 DX

70-300 FX

What do I miss here? Why in the world do you want to buy anything new? You can't justify spending 2500 in relation to what? You are a happy amateur. So stay that way.

Will the D7000 make you happier than you already are. In what way?

Thanks

IMO the D90 is a superb camera for happy amateurs and with the lenses you own I don't see any reason in you photographic needs to change, at least you have not made that clear to me in this post.

-- hide signature --

Happy photographing!

HansN46's gear list:HansN46's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Nikon Coolpix P7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 +9 more
gear1box Senior Member • Posts: 1,524

PeterTX wrote:

I looked at my lenses:

35 1.8 DX

18-105 DX

70-300 FX

Thanks

Peter --

I considered the same question, but from a different place: D7k, 16-85 & 70-300.  There are two considerations it seems to me:  1) a system perspective of the net effect of change on my pixels generated; and 2) a recognition of where the market / technology is going and how a given buy fits into a long term strategy.

Given that you have the 35 1.8, you already have quite respectable low light capability (at least at that focal length).  A D7k (or D5100) would give you a stop greater ISO (and *DR*, which is probably more important) perf; a D600 a stop more.  If Nikon executes to form, the soon-to-announced D7200 should offer a stop more too, but in DX.

The problem with the D600 is getting optics that exploit it as well as your D90 works with, for example, your mid range (which you likely use the most).  That FF 28-300 is almost certainly *not* able to use the pixels in the D600 as well as your 18-105 does for your D90.  I used the 18-105's predecessor for three years, and it is an excellent lens, frankly, for DX; the 16-85 is usefully wider, but not better overall in my OP.  Independent test results (DXO, SLRGear, PhotoZone, etc.) support this.

I concluded that the optics that i could afford would not exploit the FF sensor, and if i really wished another stop, all i had to do was wait a few months & spend $1k for a D7200 to use with my current optics.

And four or five years from now, who knows?  I probably will be FF.

You need your own strategy.

-- hide signature --

gary ray

--
Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D810 Olympus E-PL7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
pixd90 Senior Member • Posts: 1,464

And four or five years from now, who knows? I probably will be FF.

I am a retired senior, my current strategy is to still be alive in four or five years. Will stay with DX.

pixd90's gear list:pixd90's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875

mosswings wrote:

JMZ48 wrote:

Good advise, however at this point of time I'd suggest you to consider a little modified approach: seat and wait a while, about (3) month.

Since Nikon is going to anounce 16-85 F4 VRIII any time soon, and 70-200 F4 VRIII is already anounced.... why not to keep what you have till both new faster lenses are readily available and make move then...??? It will push you back to February... so what?

Get lens(es) first, then, maybe you find your existing camera to be good enough with this semi-pro lenses. You will not go wrong with new glass. Do not expect, as Mako said to see much improvement between D90 and D7000. Pic's quality will be very close.

Your other option will be just adding Nikon 16-85 F4, plus Tokina 11-16 F2.8 and keep 70-300. All together, the glass is more important then the body that includes some more gimick. In real life, if you can't take picture with D90, then you will not be able to take it with neither D7000 nor D600.

This would be my advice in general - but I would also suggest considering a slightly different option if you don't need all the bells and whistles of the D7000 (or its successor) but want good image quality in a more travel-friendly package - think about the D5100 or the D5200 to be announced on November 6th, just in time for Christmas. This camera will likely have a 24MP sensor, possibly the same as the D7000 followon if the D5100/D7000 pattern continues, but in a smaller body. If you're used to and are satisfied with the D90's 11-point AF, the D5100/D5200 will give you a noticeable step up in noise quality re: the D90, but Mako is right - at 200 and above, the IQ is very similiar. The big advantage of the newer sensors is that they give you one more stop of high ISO. If you stopped at ISO 800, you'll be able to go to 1600.

If you don't have the coin, ok.   But the 5200 will be very limited on AF, and the noise will be worse than the subsequent bodies w higher price tags.  How much Af and how much iso can you afford ? ...and are willing to wait a few months for ?

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 8,920

jonrobertp wrote:

mosswings wrote:

JMZ48 wrote:

This would be my advice in general - but I would also suggest considering a slightly different option if you don't need all the bells and whistles of the D7000 (or its successor) but want good image quality in a more travel-friendly package - think about the D5100 or the D5200 to be announced on November 6th, just in time for Christmas. This camera will likely have a 24MP sensor, possibly the same as the D7000 followon if the D5100/D7000 pattern continues, but in a smaller body. If you're used to and are satisfied with the D90's 11-point AF, the D5100/D5200 will give you a noticeable step up in noise quality re: the D90, but Mako is right - at 200 and above, the IQ is very similiar. The big advantage of the newer sensors is that they give you one more stop of high ISO. If you stopped at ISO 800, you'll be able to go to 1600.

If you don't have the coin, ok. But the 5200 will be very limited on AF, and the noise will be worse than the subsequent bodies w higher price tags. How much Af and how much iso can you afford ? ...and are willing to wait a few months for ?

Actually, I was suggesting that as a perfectly adequate travel body, the D5100 is well regarded, and since the D5200 is to be announced on Tuesday, I'd go for that if the extra bulk of the D90/7000 series does not justify the feature set it offers. Considering that the OP's present tool is a D90 and the D5100 uses the same AF system, the D5200 will be no worse, nor will the D5100; although if it comes out at 24MP, I'd be wanting AF fine tuning or some sort of hybrid AF system to minimize all the body-lens pairing problems that can prevent obtaining all of the performance that a 24MP (or 16MP) system can.  I frankly think that AF fine tuning or auto-tuning hybrid AF should be a standard feature of any SLR of today's resolutions.  But I'm almost certain that that's not in the offing for the D5200.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
OP PeterTX Senior Member • Posts: 1,000

I tried the 3200 today as well as 5100 but the body is just too small. I will stick to my D90 until there is a D7xxx out there.

echris New Member • Posts: 15

Well this random person on the internet thinks you made a good move wrt the d600. The d90 is excellent and I wished I had one instead of the d7000 for a whole until the autofocus was fixed and it still doesn't feel like much of an upgrade compared to my old d70. Instead of selling for $500, fully amortize out the cost of that body. Use it until it breaks. At that point there'll be a body so amazing we can't imagine it today. Costs a lot to rush the upgrade cycle.

Frankly I don't think pictures from d7000 are much better than d90, at least for the travel and kids sports photos I make. You have the light and the picture happens. Sure the higher iso is a lot better but end of the day the difference in body doesn't matter nearly as much as the glass. Glass lets you do things you can't do otherwise. Have you ever played with a good macro lens?

Rent some great lenses and you'll grow in ways you don't expect. See what happens for you. For me the 70-200 2.8 is killer good, buy used its a way better deal than a body.

jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875

pixd90 wrote:

And four or five years from now, who knows? I probably will be FF.

I am a retired senior, my current strategy is to still be alive in four or five years. Will stay with DX.

lol....yes, that "staying alive " is gotta be miles ahead of what next cam to get.  I have your same status.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads