K-30. Why u die.

Started Nov 1, 2012 | Discussions
gooseta
gooseta Contributing Member • Posts: 710
K-30. Why u die.

Ok, so I was trying to shoot water drops this morning with the k-30 and WR 100 macro. maybe 75ml (1/4 cup) of water splashed onto the back and sides of the camera, dead in seconds, water in all ports, water in the screen, have waited 12 hours, still not working, have changed batts and cards. How could they market this as weather sealed it was a very small amount of water on the back?!!! Note there is no water in the mount/mirror/sensor, I checked. Looks like the camera failed not the wr lens.

Very dissapointed, even my sony can handle a hike, hail, and pouring rain.

-- hide signature --

Angad S. aka gooseta
Amateur photographer
NEW SITE : angadsrin.zenfolio.com

gooseta's gear list:gooseta's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar
Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ogl
ogl Senior Member • Posts: 1,675
Re: K-30. Why u die.

Show us your unworking camera, please...

ogl's gear list:ogl's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
gooseta
OP gooseta Contributing Member • Posts: 710

you mean a picture? I'll upload one shortly

-- hide signature --

Angad S. aka gooseta
Amateur photographer

Col K10d
Col K10d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,216

ogl wrote:

Show us your unworking camera, please...

With what dear Lisa, with what?

Best thing is the WR is warranted so if there's been a seal failure the camera will be replaced. Just take it into the store.

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
gooseta

bought it on amazon so no store

-- hide signature --

Angad S. aka gooseta
Amateur photographer

gooseta

anyone?

-- hide signature --

Angad S. aka gooseta
Amateur photographer

DS21 Senior Member • Posts: 2,416

gooseta wrote:

anyone?

Clearly some seal failed, or it was not assembled properly. You have to deal with Pentax to have it fixed (warranty), if it is not possible to return the camera. Who knows how many cameras go out not really WR because of some assembly error, I guess one has to test before warranty expires...

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-01 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus Stylus 1 +1 more
Col K10d
Col K10d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,216

I would ring Amazon, appears to be a failure of the rear LCD seals.  I recall a couple of instances being posted on the other forum wrt the K5.

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
bjake Regular Member • Posts: 327

Hope you didn't get a grey market one without a warranty.Did it come directly from Amazon or one of their sellers?Will be interesting how this story plays out,keep us informed.I am planning on buying a K-30 or K-5 soon.

Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 2,428

gooseta wrote:

anyone?

Patience?

Why have you not contacted Amazon?  I think they can solve your problem far better than anyone here.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
Rod K Regular Member • Posts: 223

I am really sorry to hear/see your K30 story. The only thing I can think of trying is the use of silica gel sachets with the camera in a sealable food bag. I have heard that several cameras have been "returned from the dead" using this method, but can only offer it as anecdotal evidence. Worth a try though, if you do not want to return it without trying anything yourself.

My son received his new K30 on Tuesday this week and is currently in the air, on his way to Reykjavik, Iceland together with his fiancee and one of my lenses. I guess this will be a good test of his new camera, will let you know how he goes.  Please keep us posted as to your situation, I hope all goes well for you .

Kind regards, Rod.

gooseta

Well, I will ring amazon tomorrow. The camera has started doing the sensor dust removal when the camera starts and makes a buzzing noise when i half press the shutter, which wont fire.

-- hide signature --

Angad S. aka gooseta
Amateur photographer

Simon97
Simon97 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,123

Are you positive all the port covers were properly seated?

I hope you removed the battery until it dries out. Electrolysis could potentially destroy the circuits inside.

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
gooseta

Yep I removed the battery. It's shipping to amazon as we speak

-- hide signature --

Angad S. aka gooseta
Amateur photographer

Breezy Weezy
Breezy Weezy Forum Member • Posts: 92

amazon has a great return policy.  Did you opt for a replacement? They send out replacements promptly.

-- hide signature --

what a great day to take a picture

bettyswolloks
bettyswolloks Regular Member • Posts: 182

I had a similar looking incident with my K7. Take the battery and card out, open all the covers and place it on top of the fire in the living room, place it with the body cap loosely covering the lens mount, lie it facing up so that any moisture can evaporate up wards. Leave it for about 3-4 days, dont be tempted to put the battery in as this can cause more damage. I left mine for around 4 days like this and when I powered it up the rear lcd fogged up instantly so I left it longer.Now the most important bit.....

CONTACT THE SELLER ASAP!!

They should replace it. Pentax eventually gave me a brand new K7 even though I had bought a 2nd hand unit from SRS Microsystems in the UK.

The sooner you get it sent back the sooner you'll get a replacement. Penatx need to know that this is happening so get it back to 'em asap Mate/

bettyswolloks's gear list:bettyswolloks's gear list
Pentax Optio I-10 Kodak DCS560 Pentax K10D Pentax Q Nikon D600 +13 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 26,088

Return it for a replacement ASAP

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
Mike Hiran
Mike Hiran Senior Member • Posts: 1,249

How frustrating! Getting a new toy and not being able to use it is no fun.  And then dealing with the exchange process... but at least Amazon is great to work with.  I had a pair of walkie talkies that died prematurely and they next day aired the replacement BEFORE I had sent the defective one back.  Really awesome service...

I've not been unlucky with my pentax WR stuff... I've had qty 2 k10's, a k20, k7 and a k5 and all have survived lots of rain (I live in the NW afterall).  Pentax and/or Amazon will swap it out no problem I'd think.  Hopefully this is not a trend, but I haven't read of many k30 WR failure's so far.

Good luck!  Hope all goes smoothly and better the 2nd time around!

Mike Hiran's gear list:Mike Hiran's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-7 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +24 more
gooseta

Yea status update the camera should arrive at amazon today for replacement I sent it one day. @Photobutton I bought into pentax because of they have the best aps-c dslrs out there and I like the way there going with the k series and the 5iis, also they have better glass for less

-- hide signature --

Angad S. aka gooseta
Amateur photographer

simbon4o New Member • Posts: 8

Looks like K30 is not that WR after all. There are other cases like this one. My K30 in the moment is like this:

This dust is from 1 month use, never tried water yet. Looks like I'm going to use my K200 for a long time in specific conditions. The local service said to me that I must pay for cleaning, the dust is because I'm not using WR lens and opening the SD card slot in dusty conditions makes it suck dust inside :D. I'm glad I didn't tried it in rain or snow...

After all - very disappointed from Pentax! Looks like QC is not like in old times!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads