CANON 18-200MM

Started Oct 31, 2012 | Questions
KND11212 New Member • Posts: 4
CANON 18-200MM

Hello looking at buying the 18-200mm as my family is taking a trip to Disney next month. I've been told that this lense should cover any school activities simple portraits, etc.

We just welcomed my first nephew on my side of the family this month and my sister has asked me to take his new born pictures since I took her maternity pics.

I just want to be sure that I'm spending my money on something that will last and will do the job.

Messiah Complex Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: CANON 18-200MM

I haven't used it myself, but it's my understanding that it makes some substantial compromises optically in order to get that range.

One other thing to consider: that lens is big, and heavy.  If you're going to be wrangling small children, the last thing you are going to want is four pounds of camera hanging around your neck.  Not to mention that Disney itself is going to be busy and crowded.  People everywhere = poor opportunities for nice photos.

I was just at Disney a couple years ago, and by the end of the week, I was sick to death of my point-and-shoot.  I couldn't imagine having hauled an SLR along with me (especially on rides).

My advice to you would be to take the money you would have spent on the lens, and buy a compact P&S superzoom.  I honestly think you'll have a better time of it.

Messiah Complex's gear list:Messiah Complex's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +3 more
KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 5,404

What body and other lenses do you have. Any of the 18-200/250/270 lenses have some compromises but are a good one lens solution. For portraits you may want to consider a lens with less zoom range or a fixed focal length.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
amosf
amosf Contributing Member • Posts: 680

I have the tamron 18-200 as it was dead cheap but still fairly well made. Like all the big zooms it makes a lot of compromises on optical quality and is very soft on the edges wide open and all the rest. But it's a great one lens solution for those times when you just want to go have some fun and take the camera along. the range will cover whatever you want on the day and I've taken some great shots with it. The Canon is likely substantially better than the tamron, but I have never compared them. Something like a 15-85 or an 18-135 STM might also work for you.

amosf's gear list:amosf's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
Peter A. Stavrakoglou Veteran Member • Posts: 7,860

Check either the new versions fo the Sigma 18-200mm and 18-250mm DC OS lenses.  They've been rated at the top in their class and are smaller and lighter than the lenses they replace.  I have the previous version of bothe of these lenses, one for each camera of different mount, and I'm quite satisfied with the image quality.  As noted, there are compromises in these superzoom lenses but they offer a very good one-lens solution when the situation warrants it.

Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list:Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sigma SD15 Canon EOS 7D Sigma SD1 Merrill +16 more
rickpoole Contributing Member • Posts: 986

It really depends on what you plan on doing with your images.  If you aren't going to enlarge them much, i.e., small prints and viewing on small to medium sized monitors and little or no cropping, then you might not even notice the limitations of the 18-200.  There is distortion at both ends of the zoom range so vertical or horizontal lines near the edges will appear bent.  At 200mm it is not sharp enough to enlarge much, especially in the corners.  It is also fairly slow at 200mm so it needs a lot of light.

I started with a Sigma 18-200 OS (Canon hadn't released theirs yet) in order to have a single lens solution for a vacation to Germany.  I had some shots along the Rhine river that required cropping out at least 50% and the results were not good - definitely fuzzy.  I also had a lot of trouble with indoors shots with no flash and no tripod (not allowed).  Bracing the camera on something helped but didn't solve the problem.  Eventually I got to compare my Sigma to the Canon 18-200 and they were very close in image quality.

I ended up switching to a 17-55 for a trip to Italy where I knew I'd be shooting indoors where they don't allow flash or tripods.  This allowed me to get handheld shots at as low as 1/15s.  The images from this lens were enough better than those with the 18-200 I started looking for something to replace the 55-200 range.  I ended up getting a 70-200L f4 IS after comparing a few of the non-Ls and the f4 and f2.8 versions.  At 200mm the difference between the L and the Sigma 18-200 are easily noticeable in the center and dramatic in the corners.  Yes, the two lenses cost a lot more than the 18-200 but the results are dramatically better and this two lens combination is way more versatile.  It is a pain carrying two lenses and having to switch between them but that is the cost of wanting the best image quality.  One thing I did discover is these lenses hold their value much better than the 18-200 (especially the Ls).

rickpoole's gear list:rickpoole's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +5 more
OP KND11212 New Member • Posts: 4

thanks for getting back to me. I currently have the Canon Rebel 12mp and the stock lense 18-55mm

thank you so much for your reply.

I currently have the stock lense 18-55 mm and just want something a little nicer. so i'm kind of lost with the 17-55 you recommended, wouldn't the 18-55 work the same?

Also I want a lense that I can use when my daughters have recitals, parades, games, etc. and of course when family asks me to take portraits.

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,512

KND11212 wrote:

I currently have the stock lense 18-55 mm and just want something a little nicer. so i'm kind of lost with the 17-55 you recommended, wouldn't the 18-55 work the same?

The 17-55 f/2.8 is about the best EF-s lens made, and is priced accordingly. The latest 18-55IS lenses are pretty good, but the 17-55 is the best lens in that range. It is also heavy.

Also I want a lens that I can use when my daughters have recitals, parades, games, etc. and of course when family asks me to take portraits.

Recitals are indoors and usually will require a fast lens (like the 17-55 above, if you can get close enough.

I have the 18-200IS and, while it is versatile, I can't recommend it. 18-135 STM or 15-85 would be better choices.

In the superzoom cameras I recommend the Panasonic FZ200.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.

I'm thinking of renting the lense for the trip till I figure out if I want to buy it. Have you used LensRentals or know of it? I've been reading reviews and so far so good.

billythek Veteran Member • Posts: 5,260

KND11212 wrote:

I'm thinking of renting the lense for the trip till I figure out if I want to buy it. Have you used LensRentals or know of it? I've been reading reviews and so far so good.

I've never heard any bad stories about lensrentals, and they are entertaining, at least.

Here is a review of the lens:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_18-200_3p5-5p6_is_c16

It's not on my wish list, but to each his own.  Lenses with a large zoom range involve a lot of compromises.  I actually think you would be better off at Disney with your 18-55.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

billythek's gear list:billythek's gear list
DxO One Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads