Owners: How does the 10 f2.8 compare with the 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 VR ?

Started Oct 31, 2012 | Questions
jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,945
Owners: How does the 10 f2.8 compare with the 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 VR ?

I've read the review, but I want the opinions of those that actually have used both of these lenses in the real world and their opinion In terms of sharpness and distortion between these two lenses.

Thanks.

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +11 more
ANSWER:
bowman
bowman Contributing Member • Posts: 637
Re: Owners: How does the 10 f2.8 compare with the 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 VR ?

I have owned the V1 with both kit lens for some months and been very pleased indeed, so much so that I purcased a second with 10mm lens.

I have not yet carried out any pixel peeping but I got the impression that the 10mm is sharper with better contrast and tones. I even check out the settings on both cameras in case they were mismatched. It is a very nice little lens indeed and if I can I will post a few direct comparrisons taken with one camera, may take a day or two but should be interesting.

I must say I do like using the cameras with the 10mm, the 10-30 seems large and slow to switch on and unlock fter using the 10mm. Of course I do miss the zoom on occasions and am pleased to own the two lens. I think I would find a 35mm equivelent even more useful than the 10mm.

My pal, a professional photographer purcased a V1 a few months ago with only the 10mm as a carry anywhare camera, he is delighted with it and is taking more photographs for "Himself" than he has for years.

Regards

John B.

bowman's gear list:bowman's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
OP jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,945

bowman wrote:

I have owned the V1 with both kit lens for some months and been very pleased indeed, so much so that I purcased a second with 10mm lens.

I have not yet carried out any pixel peeping but I got the impression that the 10mm is sharper with better contrast and tones. I even check out the settings on both cameras in case they were mismatched. It is a very nice little lens indeed and if I can I will post a few direct comparrisons taken with one camera, may take a day or two but should be interesting.

I must say I do like using the cameras with the 10mm, the 10-30 seems large and slow to switch on and unlock fter using the 10mm. Of course I do miss the zoom on occasions and am pleased to own the two lens. I think I would find a 35mm equivelent even more useful than the 10mm.

My pal, a professional photographer purcased a V1 a few months ago with only the 10mm as a carry anywhare camera, he is delighted with it and is taking more photographs for "Himself" than he has for years.

Regards

John B.

Thanks for sharing your opinion John. Just the kind of information I was looking for. Two of the shortcomings of the 10-30 I have found somewhat disappointing is the field curvature affects at 10mm and the relatively low micro-contrast. I am hoping the 10mm will improve upon those.

- Jon

Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +11 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 5,758

My 10mm is sharper than my 10-30 and focuses faster in low light. Haven't reall paid any attention to distortion.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +17 more

Paul Pasco wrote:

My 10mm is sharper than my 10-30 and focuses faster in low light. Haven't reall paid any attention to distortion.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Thanks Paul. Good news since I have just ordered a 10mm f2.8

- Jon

littleice Forum Member • Posts: 74

Jon,

not sure if you'd take my post as a serious one this time? 
(i wrote my comments in the other thread as well)
the pancake focused much faster, with PDAF the speed is instant. with the kit it still take a split second to focus, but the pancake take just a blink of an eye. CDAF is faster too but for some reason it's also noisier.

now other members mentioned it, yes when i use the kit lens, i often need to boost the contrast quite a lot. with pancake, i almost never touch the contrast slider.

i'm not sure if the pancake gives sharper image, i find it's a little softer, maybe it's because i use it to shoot wide open often, or lacking VR i got very slight camera shake most of the time even at 1/25~1/30. with the kit, i often get sharp details at pixel level, even with 1/15sec speed.

Donkey914 Forum Member • Posts: 59

I own both. Quality-wise, I haven't seen a noticeable difference, though I've never tested it using charts or any of that.

Which one do I use more? The pancake, but only because of its size. It's quite a versatile lens to work with and the J1 + 10mm combo lends itself well to being brought everywhere.

The only thing I don't like about the pancake is its MFD, which is almost the same as the 10-30 or even the new 18.5 prime. I like using it for closeups and wish at times that I could get a little closer with it.

peterclark55 Senior Member • Posts: 2,379

Own both kit lenses and the pancake and love the latter as it performs well in low light and makes the V1 discreet and pocketable.

Did not notice any difference in iq but am not a pixel picker. Took a series of a Provence village shots with it in my V1 gallery and it works wonders.

Usually carry the V1 with the pancake and the 30-110 in the bag for long shots if needed. Good shooting, Peter
--
http://www.pbase.com/peter55/galleries

peterclark55 wrote:

Own both kit lenses and the pancake and love the latter as it performs well in low light and makes the V1 discreet and pocketable.

Did not notice any difference in iq but am not a pixel picker. Took a series of a Provence village shots with it in my V1 gallery and it works wonders.

Usually carry the V1 with the pancake and the 30-110 in the bag for long shots if needed. Good shooting, Peter
--
http://www.pbase.com/peter55/galleries

Thanks Peter. I may end up using the same combination of lenses as well. I'll have to wait until my lenses arrive and try it out.

- Jon

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads