Sales of the Sony A99

Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions
jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 7,027
Re: Jon, you have pretty strong words in there but when I sampled your gallery, not....(more)

EvilOne wrote:

gil wrote:

much meat, more like P&S shots. So it makes we wonder maybe you have other pics that fully utilize your current camera's capabilities that you find lacking in the A99. Why not just enjoy your camera and let the A99 users enjoy theirs too :-D?

cheers,

gil

JoNIKON

With 98 % of your post found in the Nikon forum,, why are you here? What purpose have you served...Are you trying to convert people too Nikon? by looking at your gallery, no one from here will be moving to Nikon any time soon... So what have you accomplished... ????? Not only did you embarrass yourself, but you wasted a lot of bandwidth which for the most part fell on deaf ears.

I'm here to inform. They'll no doubt thank me later.

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 +11 more
VirtualMirage
VirtualMirage Veteran Member • Posts: 3,956
Re: Frank Doorhof on the Sony A99

jonikon wrote:

Also the a99 is not a professional level camera. The a99s auto focus and viewfinder were borrowed from the a77 APS-C camera, and the body is not all metal (like the D800), but plastic at the critical lens mount area, (much like the D600). Nor is there a professional support system for the a99 like Nikon and Canon provide to professionals. Nice FF camera, maybe. Pro body, no.

- Jon

What's your point exactly?

The D800 and D4 use the same AF sensor. Would you want to knock the D4 down a few notches and feel it is way overpriced because it is using the same AF sensor as a camera that is half its cost? If the AF works well, it works well. No need to fix what isn't broken. Also, whose to say they didn't tweak the AF sensor since its initial inception in the A77? And don't forget that it is coupled with the on sensor AF assist points.

We can also say the same about the viewfinder. The D4 and D800 use the same viewfinder. What makes that any different than the A77 and A99? Both offer great viewfinders for their field, just so happens one is OVF in the Nikon realm and the Sony is EVF. But each brand is sharing the same part with a lesser or more expensive sibling. It just so happens that while the A99 is only $1400 more expensive than the A77 while the D4 is $3000 more than the D800.

I won't even get into the more expensive D4 having fewer MPs than the D800.

So are you saying a true professional DSLR can't have a plastic mount area?

Your D7000 is plastic in that area (much more so than the A77 and A99). Does that make your camera any less of a photographic tool? Is engineering grade plastic inferior to metal in that area or does it just give the impression of such?

Also keep in mind that the Canon EOS 5D MkIII also has a plastic mount area. The EOS 1D X, I can't say with 100% certainty, but looks to have a similar mount area like the 5D. Does that make them non-professional cameras? No, it does not.

The D800 is one of the few current DSLRs that I have seen where the mount area is metal through and through. But that doesn't make it the rule for professional camera requirements, only an exception.

So you feel that the A99's price point would be better sitting at $1800 (only $400 more than an A77) while the D600 is at $2100? How does that make sense?

The A99 is more feature equipped and much more capable in a professional environment than the D600 and is much closer to what the D800 and other similar cameras can offer.

Compared to the D600, the A99 has:  a higher max shutter speed, a higher flash sync shutter speed, faster frame rate (albeit not by much in FX), AE bracket 5 frames (vs 3), superior LCD display with articulation, IBIS, larger viewfinder (.74x vs .7x), can do 1080p60 (D600 limited to 1080p30), shutter is rated to 200,000 releases (vs 150,000), and has a PC sync port (the D600 does not).

So seeing all of what the D600 is lacking, what makes you think it is worth more than the A99?

They way I see it, none of your reasons are holding any water and should be taken with a grain of salt.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +18 more

VirtualMirage wrote:

jonikon wrote:

Also the a99 is not a professional level camera. The a99s auto focus and viewfinder were borrowed from the a77 APS-C camera, and the body is not all metal (like the D800), but plastic at the critical lens mount area, (much like the D600). Nor is there a professional support system for the a99 like Nikon and Canon provide to professionals. Nice FF camera, maybe. Pro body, no.

- Jon

The D800 and D4 use the same AF sensor. Would you want to knock the D4 down a few notches and feel it is way overpriced because it is using the same AF sensor as a camera that is half its cost? If the AF works well, it works well. No need to fix what isn't broken. Also, whose to say they didn't tweak the AF sensor since its initial inception in the A77? And don't forget that it is coupled with the on sensor AF assist points.

We can also say the same about the viewfinder. The D4 and D800 use the same viewfinder. What makes that any different than the A77 and A99? Both offer great viewfinders for their field, just so happens one is OVF in the Nikon realm and the Sony is EVF. But each brand is sharing the same part with a lesser or more expensive sibling. It just so happens that while the A99 is only $1400 more expensive than the A77 while the D4 is $3000 more than the D800.

Your analogy is not valid. Both the D800 and D4 are professional grade full frame cameras and don't use the viewfinder, AF sensors, or body build of any of their APS-C DSLRs, like the a99 shares with the a77.

Your D7000 is plastic in that area (much more so than the A77 and A99). Does that make your camera any less of a photographic tool? Is engineering grade plastic inferior to metal in that area or does it just give the impression of such?

Also keep in mind that the Canon EOS 5D MkIII also has a plastic mount area. The EOS 1D X, I can't say with 100% certainty, but looks to have a similar mount area like the 5D. Does that make them non-professional cameras? No, it does not.

The Canon EOS 5D MkIII body does have a metal mount area.

Canon EOS 5D MkIII

But the Sony a99 does not.

Sony a99 metal body without plastic inserts.

The Nikon  D800 body

Nikon D800 metal body

The D800 is one of the few current DSLRs that I have seen where the mount area is metal through and through. But that doesn't make it the rule for professional camera requirements, only an exception.

You need to get out more.

So you feel that the A99's price point would be better sitting at $1800 (only $400 more than an A77) while the D600 is at $2100? How does that make sense?

Because Sony would sell a lot more a99s and maybe increase their Alpha mount consumer base and increase FF lens sales, all while still making a tidy profit on the bodies.

The A99 is more feature equipped and much more capable in a professional environment than the D600 and is much closer to what the D800 and other similar cameras can offer.

I don't agree. The  a99 only has an EVF, but the D600 has an OVF that many photographers need for shooting action. The EVF just can't deal with panning moving objects as well as a good OVF. Also, most professionals prefer OVFs over EVFs.

Compared to the D600, the A99 has: a higher max shutter speed, a higher flash sync shutter speed, faster frame rate (albeit not by much in FX), AE bracket 5 frames (vs 3), superior LCD display with articulation, IBIS, larger viewfinder (.74x vs .7x), can do 1080p60 (D600 limited to 1080p30), shutter is rated to 200,000 releases (vs 150,000), and has a PC sync port (the D600 does not).

You are comparing the a99 to the D600 which both have virtually the same FPS performance in FF and which costs $700 less and does not pretend to be a professional grade camera. The D600 is an excellent value in a well specified FF camera and the a99 is not. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think DPR is going to agree with me on this one.

So seeing all of what the D600 is lacking, what makes you think it is worth more than the A99?

I never said I thought the D600 should be priced above the a99. I said the a99 is overpriced for what it offers and should be priced less than the D600 because it lacks a proper OVF.

They way I see it, none of your reasons are holding any water and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Let's agree to wait and see what DPR thinks of the a99 in their review. Despite the differences you mentioned,  I believe the D600 will be very close to the a99 in total points, and all for $700 less, which could go toward a very nice large aperture Nikon lens.

- Jon

Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 18,553
Re: Sales of the Sony A99

It's only anecdotal evidence, but Thursday at Photoplus, the SLT counter at the Sony booth was pretty dead.  I saw more people looking at the A77 and the A900 in previous years.  (It didn't help that they had no cameras setup in front of a display for sampling).  In contrast, the NEX counter was busy all day long (at least on the 4-5 occasions I visited or walked through) and the RX1 counter was busy all day long.  I heard one lady first thing in the morning come in looking for "the MX1" ... "you know, the new one" and then started chatting up the rep at the RX1 counter.

Hopefully with Kirk Tuck and others talking up the benefits of the EVF for studio work, things will pick up a little for the A mount.  It would be a shame if they don't, because they really have some excellent lenses.  But it really seems like their future lies in 'e' not 'A'.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Amateur Sony Shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,433

I picked up A99 from Vancouver flagship Sony Store yesterday. I was the third person bought it and they had no more inventory except for a store demo unit. Store manager said their A900 hold up price throughout product cycle and A99 should be similar (hence no discount price for me). But they offered 6 months no payment which I took, and throw in a fast Sony SD card (94MB/s, 32GB) for repeating customer like me.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +6 more
VirtualMirage

jonikon wrote:

Canon EOS 5D MkIII

Damn, I knew I should have stolen a picture off someone elses site and give no credit. Your picture doesn't show irrefutably that it does have metal mount. Check out this tear down at this link from Lens Rental:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/04/5d-iii-strip-tease

And an image from that link:

Looks like some kind of plastic or polymer to me and not metal. So I think you are wrong here.

Again, and your point? If you look here, the mount still looks quite well made and durable:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/9102/johnnie-behiri-shoots-professional-work-on-sony-a99-sample-videos-and-review

And an image from that link:

Looks like a durable mount to me. And look! Metal on the front!

You need to get out more.

I get out enough, thank you. I didn't say the D800 is the only metal only mount, just one of the few "current" cameras that do have one. Since I already showed you the Canon didn't have one, care to show me one that is? And yes, I am pretty certain the $6000 D4 is a metal only mount.

Because Sony would sell a lot more a99s and maybe increase their Alpha mount consumer base and increase FF lens sales, all while still making a tidy profit on the bodies.

Wouldn't all camera manufacturers increase their sales if they marked their top cameras down by $1,000? And they would probably make a decent profit as well. You can't say that Nikon and Canon receive any less profit on their cameras.

I don't agree. The a99 only has an EVF, but the D600 has an OVF that many photographers need for shooting action. The EVF just can't deal with panning moving objects as well as a good OVF. Also, most professionals prefer OVFs over EVFs.

Says you, maybe. But not all professionals would agree. It is the same with cars as which is better: Automatic or Stick. Many will use the argument that the pros will want a stick. You'd be surprised when actually asking the pros what they prefer. In that instance, there are just as many pros who prefer an automatic when questioned via Twitter. You'll probably get the same response with photographers. It comes down to their preference and what works best for them. Plus, you seem to assume that all pros are sport/wildlife photographers. They are not! Many are studio, landscape, macro, and more. So don't try and cram all pros into one tiny box. Furthermore, I haven't had panning or action shot issues with my A77. I also shoot studio work, indoors, outdoors, landscapes, and macros.

You are comparing the a99 to the D600 which both have virtually the same FPS performance in FF and which costs $700 less and does not pretend to be a professional grade camera. The D600 is an excellent value in a well specified FF camera and the a99 is not. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think DPR is going to agree with me on this one.

I see you ignored every other advantage the A99 has over the D600. So clearly you are only focused on FPS. I even mentioned in my comparison that for FPS in FX mode the advantage margin is small. But in DX mode, the A99 has it beat. But my main reason for mentioning the D600 is you felt that the A99 should be priced less than the D600 with no mention that the D600 should receive a price cut as well. By doing that, you put it in the direct cross hairs for comparison.

So you don't feel that all the other features that A99 has over the D600 is worth an extra $700? You don't find an articulating screen helpful? How about IBIS when using primes? Ever shoot in a studio where a little faster flash sync could be useful? Or how about those instances where you need a shutter speed faster than 1/4000? Don't forget the built in GPS it has as well that the D600 is missing.

It's the little things that add up, all of which the D600 is missing. And no, the D600 doesn't pretend to be a professional camera and thus doesn't have those features. However, the A99 does intend on filling the shoes needed by professionals, has features that professionals actually use, and thus should be considered a contender as a professional camera.

I never said I thought the D600 should be priced above the a99. I said the a99 is overpriced for what it offers and should be priced less than the D600 because it lacks a proper OVF.

So you are saying the D600, D800, and D4 are overpriced as well? Congratulations, you are just like every other consumer out there who would love to get more for less. If the A99 was $1800, believe me, I would be snagging one in a heartbeat. But it isn't and is unrealistic, in my opinion. I'd say the camera's sweet spot is probably around the $2500. It's not entirely unrealistic yet still a good deal for what you get. But again, how does cost make it a professional camera or not? It doesn't. What matters is what you can do with it and whether the pro can use it in "their" environment, not yours.

Let's agree to wait and see what DPR thinks of the a99 in their review. Despite the differences you mentioned, I believe the D600 will be very close to the a99 in total points, and all for $700 less, which could go toward a very nice large aperture Nikon lens.

So now we are talking reviews? You seem to be changing the subject here.

Anyway, the scores between the two I don't think would be comparable. If I recall correctly, DPR weights and scores their cameras in comparison to other cameras in their class. The D600 and A99 are clearly not in the same class and thus the scores are not weighted the same. Otherwise people would be taking the score of a cheap P&S camera and comparing it to a top tier DSLR and think it is a better camera because DPR gave the P&S a higher score. You can't do that. Well...actually you could try and directly compare the scores, but the results you get will not be accurate.

-- hide signature --

Paul

Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +18 more

VirtualMirage wrote:

So now we are talking reviews? You seem to be changing the subject here.

Good reviews boost camera sales, bad reviews hurt them and therefore it's relevant to the subject.

Anyway, the scores between the two I don't think would be comparable. If I recall correctly, DPR weights and scores their cameras in comparison to other cameras in their class. The D600 and A99 are clearly not in the same class and thus the scores are not weighted the same. Otherwise people would be taking the score of a cheap P&S camera and comparing it to a top tier DSLR and think it is a better camera because DPR gave the P&S a higher score. You can't do that. Well...actually you could try and directly compare the scores, but the results you get will not be accurate.

-- hide signature --

Paul

Sounds to me that you are already trying to lower expectations for the a99 score!

In any event, the success or failure of the a99 and the other Sony's SLT cameras will be decided by consumers buying choices and not our opinions on these forums. Based on Nikon's just released excellent financial report, I'm betting on Nikon D600 and D800 sales to exceed Sony a99 sales by a wide margin.

from Nikon Rumors .com

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/11/01/nikons-financial-results-for-the-first-half-of-the-year-are-out.aspx/#more-47884

Have a nice day Paul.

- Jon

TrojMacReady
TrojMacReady Veteran Member • Posts: 8,729

jonikon wrote:

VirtualMirage wrote:

jonikon wrote:

- Jon

Your analogy is not valid. Both the D800 and D4 are professional grade full frame cameras and don't use the viewfinder, AF sensors, or body build of any of their APS-C DSLRs, like the a99 shares with the a77.

Canon EOS 5D MkIII

The Nikon D800 body

Nikon D800 metal body

The mount from the 5DMKIII is screwed on a plastic chassis though:

Should makes you wonder what's really stronger, rather than assuming like you did.

Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,114

ianbrown wrote:

I noticed an authorised retailer in the UK had 5 in stock last week and has since sold one.

just wondered if the pre-orders of this camera were as good as Sony had expected?

it looks a very nice hi spec camera but are the advantages worth the extra over the D800 or you can now get the Canon 5D MKIII for same price, not to mention the D600 for £800 less.

I guess we may see the A99 come below £2000 then sales may be more bouyant?

am I correct in saying the main advantages over othe FF is the video capabilities ?

I am tempted but is 3 times the cost of the A77

Before anyone says it, yes I know I have had lots of cameras bla bla bla

But it's not a crime!

cheers

Ian

Sony invented the segment of inexpensive FF using a850 which are unfortunately occupied by D600 and 6D. A99 is embarrasingly sitting inbetween this and higher ranking cameras like D800 and 5DIII. I was originally planning getting one, and withheld my decision for one week or two. I also have D800 and will have 5DIII. What lacks in A99 from previous expectation is a professional AF system and a 36MP sensor.

No matter how fast A99 focuses, the sensors are packed mainly in the centre of the image. It is an upgraded version of what we have in an A77.

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D500 +67 more
VirtualMirage

jonikon wrote:

Sounds to me that you are already trying to lower expectations for the a99 score!

Nope, not at all.  Just keeping things in perspective.

I wouldn't directly compare an A35 or A57 to an A77.  Nor would I directly compare a D600 to a D800.  They are tailored towards different markets and different kinds of photographers.  Sure, you can compare image quality and ISO all day long, but that is only part of the story for a camera.  If its capabilities beyond image quality are unable to meet the expectations and needs of the photographer, then it is useless.  In the case of the D600, it lacks several features that would classify it in the same class as the A99 and D800.  Just plain and simple.  Look any deeper and you begin to get into the Apple and Oranges scenario.  Other than both of them being fruit, beyond that you don't have much more that can be directly comparable.

If I was in the market to upgrade, for what I do the D600 is not an option.  I would be looking at the A99 or the D800 (providing I was considering jumping ship, which I am not).  I wouldn't even bother with Canon, just not my cup of tea.

In any event, the success or failure of the a99 and the other Sony's SLT cameras will be decided by consumers buying choices and not our opinions on these forums. Based on Nikon's just released excellent financial report, I'm betting on Nikon D600 and D800 sales to exceed Sony a99 sales by a wide margin.

Just like any business and product, its success and failure is directly related to how well it is received by the consumers.  From what I am seeing about the A99, it looks to be a well received product.  Until the A99 becomes more readily available and the reviews start trickling in, it is yet to be determined how many Canon and Nikon FF shooters will be jumping ship for it.  But so far, I don't see many people leaving their Sony's in disgust over the A99.

As for sales, being that the D600 has been on sale for over a month now and the D800(E) for 7 months and that the A99 has been on sale (at least here in the US) for not even two weeks (with quite a few people whose shipments are being delayed due to Sandy), I sure would hope it would outsell the A99.  Especially with the larger Nikon user base that has been itching to upgrade doesn't hurt either.  Otherwise, Nikon would have some explaining to do.

from Nikon Rumors .com

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/11/01/nikons-financial-results-for-the-first-half-of-the-year-are-out.aspx/#more-47884

I don't have a fancy chart to show Sony's, but from what I have read it mirrors mostly the same trend: a loss in compact DSC but a growth in interchangeable lens type cameras.

Have a nice day Paul.

- Jon

You do the same.

-- hide signature --

Paul

remylebeau
remylebeau Regular Member • Posts: 293

Dennis wrote:

It's only anecdotal evidence, but Thursday at Photoplus, the SLT counter at the Sony booth was pretty dead. I saw more people looking at the A77 and the A900 in previous years. (It didn't help that they had no cameras setup in front of a display for sampling). In contrast, the NEX counter was busy all day long (at least on the 4-5 occasions I visited or walked through) and the RX1 counter was busy all day long. I heard one lady first thing in the morning come in looking for "the MX1" ... "you know, the new one" and then started chatting up the rep at the RX1 counter.

Hopefully with Kirk Tuck and others talking up the benefits of the EVF for studio work, things will pick up a little for the A mount. It would be a shame if they don't, because they really have some excellent lenses. But it really seems like their future lies in 'e' not 'A'.

- Dennis

I noticed similar at the Henry's expo here last month, though I think that has more to do with demographic and timing. At this point those in the market for a $3000 Full Frame know all about the a99, and have pretty much made their decisions and done the testing. Where as those in the market for NEX or Cropped Sensors and in the $1500 or less range, are likely to want to try the myriad of choices before making a purchase.

FYI, the numbers for Mirrorless Sales in Japan are out and Sony is #2 after massive growth last quarter, nearly neck and neck with Oly/Pan.

Their last quarter earnings report is also out and their digital imaging division noted growing interchangeable lens system sales, their compact system is dying but that is happening across the board for that market.

remylebeau's gear list:remylebeau's gear list
Nikon D3 Sony Alpha a99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tokina AT-X 17-35mm f/4 Pro FX +9 more
Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 18,553

remylebeau wrote:

I noticed similar at the Henry's expo here last month, though I think that has more to do with demographic and timing. At this point those in the market for a $3000 Full Frame know all about the a99, and have pretty much made their decisions and done the testing. Where as those in the market for NEX or Cropped Sensors and in the $1500 or less range, are likely to want to try the myriad of choices before making a purchase.

I'm not sure if you're saying they've made their decisions because the A99 has been out longer or because buyers tend to already be locked into systems ... I definitely think the latter is the case (something that's been an enormous challenge for Sony since day 1 and something that I think they hoped the SLT design would address).

I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to whether the SLTs are underselling based on Sony's forecasts (though I'm sure they would have liked a busier booth at the Expo).  I don't think the A99 was ever going to make massive inroads in market share simply because it has an EVF or can do PDAF during video or any other unique feature.  Baby steps   But I'm curious to see what plays out in the future due to the compatibility between NEX & Alpha, with the LA-EA2 offering NEX users an Alpha experience with A mount lenses, and the new FF VG900 camcorder that uses Alpha lenses ... will Sony end up selling Alpha lenses and maybe even the occasional body or two to people who had no intention of buying them, but end up wanting to expand their NEX kit capabilities ?

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
OntarioJohn
OntarioJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,959

That's why Sony went after all the major pro photographers in my area 3 months ago and let them use the a99 for a couple of days.

Only a few of those pros bought one, but all of them seem really happy with them.  I met one guy and he is all Nikon for weddings, but the a99 and 3 lenses were bought and delivered by a Sony rep last week.

You may just underestimate where and when this camera has been targeted, AND you might be surprised at which markets they are going for.

I heard lots of great 8x10's and larger were shot with wedding models as part of the sales pitch.

After all, once you establish a market, and the name is out there, sales should follow.

The one guy I spoke with at length told me that he spent up to two hours per shot in PP, but that was often cut in half by the a99.  Who knows.

And the release date was timed by people with a bit of intelligence.  Don't you think they planned this, or did they just get the boxes from the factory and said tomorrow?

I love how everyone else becomes a marketing guru, an engineer, and professional PP specialist all at once, yet has no 'work'. At least this guy had a brand new Van, all pro painted with wedding shots and big web address and phone number.  And he parks it at malls when he's not using it.  A bit of a blowhard, but you have to sell and shoot when doing that type of work.

-- hide signature --

Retired forensic photographer.
London, Ontario, Canada.

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Ralf B
Ralf B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,240
Well said, John! (NT)
-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ralf
www.ralfralph.smugmug.com

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
digitalshooter
digitalshooter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,604
Nicely said (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
underxposed59 Contributing Member • Posts: 790
Re: Jon, you have pretty strong words in there but when I sampled your gallery, not....(more)

jonikon wrote:

I'm here to inform. They'll no doubt thank me later.

- Jon

Who would consider someone's opinion who's ID contains the name NIKON as unbiased?

underxposed59's gear list:underxposed59's gear list
Sony a6000
Nordstjernen
Nordstjernen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,876

Mark K wrote:

No matter how fast A99 focuses, the sensors are packed mainly in the centre of the image. It is an upgraded version of what we have in an A77.

They are in fact quite different, more different than you would expect from the specs, even if they share much of the SLT technology, the focus module, the screen etc. and they both are 24 megapixels. Seems like there are a lot of new A99 owners nowadays. Even some of my friends using Canon are jumping ship because of the A99.

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7
Ralf B
Ralf B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,240
Nikon D600 body - entry level?

Looking at the huge amount of plastic and the metal seemingly only found in the lens mount ring of the D600 when following this link

D600 teardown - where is the metal?

the D600 looks like an entry level body with an FF sensor slapped in?

Just asking.

FWIW, at least what we know from the three posts above in this thread and this iFixit tear-down effort is: The metal-amount-in-body-ranking attempted here would put the a99 quite some steps above the D600 in assumed durability..

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ralf
www.ralfralph.smugmug.com

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
Jurka Forum Member • Posts: 58

Sony A (Minolta) lenses are super- cheap and good quality. Body is not the biggest investment.

-- hide signature --
Dustinash Contributing Member • Posts: 682

jonikon wrote:

Ralf Bliesener wrote:

Frank Doorhof's blog on the a99 (includes some pics NSFW)

QUOTE:

Overall conclusion

• Price is a bit high but it’s a pro camera, however when you’re already in the Canon or Nikon system it would make no sense to switch. However when you are already using Sony it’s without any doubt an AWESOME update.

The $2800 price of the a99 is more than just a bit high when you consider a 36MP Nikon D800 can be had for only $200 more and the 24MP Nikon D600 for $700 less. Not to mention that there are a lot of good used Nikon D700s for $1700, or less available for those interested in moving up to FF on a budget.

Since the R&D for the a99 was all borrowed from the a77 and there is no moving mirror or glass pentaprism to raise the cost, I am sure Sony could sell the a99 for $1800 and still make a very healthy profit.

- Jon

Rgeardless of your decent points the a99 is a superb camera and is definitely pro.  Frank Doorhof is a very well recognized and brilliant photographer who has shot every kind of camera you can imagine.  His recommendation is HUGE.

I bought the camera and its fantastic.  I would go shot for shot against a nikonian any day.  Shooting event such as weddings I can nail my shot from the view finder every time.  While he is stopping and looking at "is she blinking? oh I dont have detail in my shadows, etc"  I am off on the next shot.

The a99 is absolutely pro in performance but I concur with you in body construction.  The weather sealing sucks on crucial places such as SD cards and battery compartment and those components feel like flimsy plastic.  For the money they should have gone all mag.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads