Sales of the Sony A99

Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions
ianbrown Senior Member • Posts: 1,969
Sales of the Sony A99

I noticed an authorised retailer in the UK had 5 in stock last week and has since sold one.

just wondered if the pre-orders of this camera were as good as Sony had expected?

it looks a very nice hi spec camera but are the advantages worth the extra over the D800 or you can now get the Canon 5D MKIII for same price, not to mention the D600 for £800 less.

I guess we may see the A99 come below £2000 then sales may be more bouyant?

am I correct in saying the main advantages over othe FF is the video capabilities ?

I am tempted but is 3 times the cost of the A77

Before anyone says it, yes I know I have had lots of cameras bla bla bla

But it's not a crime!

cheers

Ian

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D600 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha a99 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,992
Re: Sales of the Sony A99

While I certainly can't speak for others, on the topic of the 5D Mark III I would never buy a FF camera with lower specs than a crop sensor.

Rashkae Senior Member • Posts: 1,176

ianbrown wrote:

I noticed an authorised retailer in the UK had 5 in stock last week and has since sold one.

just wondered if the pre-orders of this camera were as good as Sony had expected?

Where I live, I hung around a sonystyle for a little bit. In that time, someone walked out with 20 A99 units (a professional videographer company) and also saw the staff ask some new customers to please wait 20 minutes while new stock arrive from the warehouse. 10 minutes later, 6 more A99 units were sold. And that's just in that one shop.

it looks a very nice hi spec camera but are the advantages worth the extra over the D800 or you can now get the Canon 5D MKIII for same price, not to mention the D600 for £800 less.

Oh jeez, this dead horse needs to be kicked again? Are the dozens of similar threads that already discussed this to death not enough? Quick answer? Yes they are worth it, the image quality and user-friendliness is better then the 5DMkIII, the D600 is a crippled little camera that cannot keep up with the A99, and yes, sales are already buoyant.

am I correct in saying the main advantages over othe FF is the video capabilities ?

You don't know the usual advantages of FF vs crop, especially in terms of DR and high ISO?

I am tempted but is 3 times the cost of the A77

Before anyone says it, yes I know I have had lots of cameras bla bla bla

Apparently not.

But it's not a crime!

cheers

Ian

BuDWiZe Contributing Member • Posts: 636

i played with teh d800 for a model shoot

i now have the a99 and while its 12mp less i REALLY Like the a99 ALOT more

i personally think its fantastic and theyve mostly sold out here in australia only a few left around at teh moment

random78 Regular Member • Posts: 284

johnbee wrote:

While I certainly can't speak for others, on the topic of the 5D Mark III I would never buy a FF camera with lower specs than a crop sensor.

huh? In what sense 5DIII has lower specs than a crop camera? For the first time Canon has a 5D series camera which is complete package with excellent features

random78's gear list:random78's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Sony a6000
jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 7,027

There are five reasons the Sony a99 is a tough sell.

1. The a99 will not accept Nikon or Canon lenses.
  2. Not many existing FF Sony users.
  3. It is overpriced for what it offers when compared to the competition. (This could change if Sony lowers the price by about a thousand dollars to $1800.)
  4. Nikon and Canon have the full frame camera market cornered due to their momentum with existing user base and the used camera and lens market.
  5. Number four will never change.

Sony fans would be wise to just be happy that they finally have a FF camera option again for their lenses and stop fretting about how well the a99 fares in the marketplace.

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 +11 more
Trevor_S
Trevor_S Regular Member • Posts: 386

BuDWiZe wrote:

i personally think its fantastic and theyve mostly sold out here in australia only a few left around at teh moment

I owned an older D300 and lenses, had them stolen, thought about the D800 and E, didn't grab me, so I looked around and saw the A99 being released not a big fan of SONY and there aftersales support (bad experience with them years ago so I have shied away from them ever since) but the A99 looks interesting.  As you have used both why you like about the A99 ?

Where did you source yours ? (From a fellow Aussie)

Trevor_S's gear list:Trevor_S's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6000 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +6 more

Trevor_S wrote:

BuDWiZe wrote:

I owned an older D300 and lenses, had them stolen, thought about the D800 and E, didn't grab me, so I looked around and saw the A99 being released not a big fan of SONY and there aftersales support (bad experience with them years ago so I have shied away from them ever since) but the A99 looks interesting. As you have used both why you like about the A99 ?

Where did you source yours ? (From a fellow Aussie)

Hi mate i got mine from digital camera wharehouse. nt sure if they have any left. i know sony store had 2 left in brisbaen as they called me today to see if i wanted 1

when i tried mates d800 when i did strobe was ok but in nat light my god it was hard to avoid movememnt blur even at decent shutter speeds. HE did not have any VR lenses and taht camera straight up needs it. especially when your hitting low light without the VR its super tough. my mates like cryign as he bascially has to sell all his lens and rebuy them all in VR as he likes doign alot of natural light portrait and you dont always have luxury of a super super high shutter speed.

the image quality im gettin goff the a99 is as good as the d800 bar the fact we have 24vs 36mp. same with the iso they are much and muchness in a raw image and both can be treated very well with nosie reduction software. infact i do find i get a bit better colour out of a99 than the higher iso files i had on the d800 in some natural light shots but that could also have been from WB differences ect as shtos were in differing situations.

ive never used a EVF before. i went to hardly normals and looked at the a99 evf and found it interesteing. sinc ei got teh a99 however this is straight up the way of the future. canikon will eventually take on the efv tech. AND it will ofcourse only improve over time with newer generations of EVF tech.

with teh MP sizes 36 is pretty big and even my quad core 12 gig machine gets put to its knees. 24 mp works good only a little bit of lag at times when editing so considering image quality is pretty much identical adn i dont realyl print a 6 foot size image i think 24mp is the sweet spot.

i now love the EVF and all its plusses and minuses(which you can workaround like any other tool )

i highly reccomend to go into the sony store they have them on display for a play. then you will see if you like it or not but for me i think its a supurb camera taht will take quality images as good as 5dIII/d800 ect

forgot to mention zeiss glass
my 85 f1.4 is super kickass on this camera

im going to buy a 24 cz for landscape

so for my pluses are i like the 24mp size, evf, inbuilt IS, pic quality, camera is pretty light, lots of options to tweak, iso is great just like d800 ect, the new hotshoe

if you like to read a good review check frank doorhof blog

he is a canon and MF shooter and he loves the a99

and which he couldnt do before you can now tether to LR with dslrsoftware plugin

Ralf B
Ralf B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,242
Frank Doorhof on the Sony A99

Frank Doorhof's blog on the a99 (includes some pics NSFW)

QUOTE:

Overall conclusion

• It’s no secret by now that I love the A99.
  • It’s a great camera, with a cool EVF which opens new options and fits user needs we never knew we needed.
  • The image quality is awesome (also related to the used glass of course).
  • Dynamic range is impressive.
  • Noise levels are more than adequate.
  • Colors are nice.
  • The combination I’m testing now has a really nice “round” “3D” look to the images.
  • Price is a bit high but it’s a pro camera, however when you’re already in the Canon or Nikon system it would make no sense to switch. However when you are already using Sony it’s without any doubt an AWESOME update.

In 3 weeks I have to give back my A99 and I have to be honest…. I think I’m gonna miss it.

END QUOTE.

Thanks to Anthony Byron for his hint at this blog!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ralf
www.ralfralph.smugmug.com

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,992

random78 wrote:

johnbee wrote:

While I certainly can't speak for others, on the topic of the 5D Mark III I would never buy a FF camera with lower specs than a crop sensor.

huh? In what sense 5DIII has lower specs than a crop camera? For the first time Canon has a 5D series camera which is complete package with excellent features

The 5D Mark III has 11 stops of DR at ISO100 whereas the Pentax K-5/D7000 has 14/13 
Likewise the 5D Mark III suffers from banding at high ISO and in shadow recovery, in contrast with Pentax K-5 and D7000 which does not.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking anyone shooting the 5D Mark III, and there are doubtless other benefits to consider such as; AF, color and tonal range etc. however... speaking from a personal standpoint, I could never justify upgrading to a FF at the expense or downgrade in dynamic range and low light performance.

Hope this helps.

phiri Contributing Member • Posts: 969

jonikon wrote:

Sony fans would be wise to just be happy that they finally have a FF camera option again for their lenses and stop fretting about how well the a99 fares in the marketplace.

- Jon

Great wisdom in this statement. I thought what was important at this level is if the camera meets your needs. Should really somebody what the person is shooting with? Should not somebody be more concerned about the camera meeting ones' needs? If the a99 meet your needs then that is the camera for you. It should not be a problem if Ashton Kutchter is using Nikon or so so is using Canon.

For me personally, I think Sony was unwise to release the camera at the same time with D600 and Canon 6D. If the a99 was released in June, it would have its own spotlight and at its price, suddenly it would have appeared cheap compared to the D800 and 5DM3. But the way they released it has many confused. Should it be compared to D800 and 5DM3 or D600? It is obvious which category it should be but that does not appear so to many people and it is even worse with all the comparisons against the D600. Then all of sudden, it appears to be expensive because of being placed in the wrong category.

The abscence of its discussions in other forums other than Sony is a testimony to this. The pot is muddled with all these new FF cameras. Sony would have attracted a lot of upgraders from the CaNikon but now, the motivation to do so is not strong unless what is more interested in the other things that Sony is offering. Next time, Sony should time its releases very cleaverly

phiri's gear list:phiri's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
JohnD2000 Forum Member • Posts: 64

Rashkae wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

Oh jeez, this dead horse needs to be kicked again? Are the dozens of similar threads that already discussed this to death not enough? Quick answer? Yes they are worth it, the image quality and user-friendliness is better then the 5DMkIII, the D600 is a crippled little camera that cannot keep up with the A99, and yes, sales are already buoyant

You do realise that in the UK the a99 costs more than the 5Dmk3 and a lot more than the D800?  In dollar terms, most UK retailers are asking for over $4,000.  I don't think anyone seriously expects to get an a99 at a D600 price, but it really should be competitive against the D800 price.

jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 7,027
Re: Frank Doorhof on the Sony A99

Ralf Bliesener wrote:

Frank Doorhof's blog on the a99 (includes some pics NSFW)

QUOTE:

Overall conclusion

• Price is a bit high but it’s a pro camera, however when you’re already in the Canon or Nikon system it would make no sense to switch. However when you are already using Sony it’s without any doubt an AWESOME update.

The $2800 price of the a99 is more than just a bit high when you consider a 36MP Nikon D800 can be had for only $200 more and the 24MP Nikon D600 for $700 less. Not to mention that there are a lot of good used Nikon D700s for $1700, or less available for those interested in moving up to FF on a budget.

Since the R&D for the a99 was all borrowed from the a77 and there is no moving mirror or glass pentaprism to raise the cost, I am sure Sony could sell the a99 for $1800 and still make a very healthy profit.

Also the a99 is not a professional level camera. The a99s auto focus and viewfinder were borrowed from the a77 APS-C camera, and the body is not all metal (like the D800), but plastic at the critical lens mount area, (much like the D600). Nor is there a professional support system for the a99 like Nikon and Canon provide to professionals. Nice FF camera, maybe. Pro body, no.

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 +11 more
philbot Contributing Member • Posts: 846

JohnD2000 wrote:

You do realise that in the UK the a99 costs more than the 5Dmk3 and a lot more than the D800? In dollar terms, most UK retailers are asking for over $4,000. I don't think anyone seriously expects to get an a99 at a D600 price, but it really should be competitive against the D800 price.

Not if you compare launch retail prices.. the D800 was £2700 on launch day, the A99 is £2500..

And places like digital rev already have it down at £2170..

Give it 6 months, it'll be cheaper then the D800 no doubt..

I think it's a bit expensive, even for it's feature set, and I'll wait until it's well under £2K before I bite.. maybe early next year..

topstuff Senior Member • Posts: 1,209

jonikon wrote:

Nice FF camera, maybe. Pro body, no.

- Jon

Oh no.  Disaster.  I am sure the pro's using the A99 and liking it will be gutted on hearing your opinion.  They'll have to find another profession or something.

People like Frank Doorhoff and Mike Kobal are pro's.  They shoot lots of different cameras, including Sony. Crazy people.

gil Forum Pro • Posts: 16,735
Jon, you have pretty strong words in there but when I sampled your gallery, not....(more)

much meat, more like P&S shots. So it makes we wonder maybe you have other pics that fully utilize your current camera's capabilities that you find lacking in the A99. Why not just enjoy your camera and let the A99 users enjoy theirs too :-D?

cheers,

gil

-- hide signature --

Cheers, gil - San Jose, CA Cheap Lens, JPG and 100% Handholding Provocateur Like happiness, photography is often better created than pursued.

gil's gear list:gil's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony a77 II
Otherboss Regular Member • Posts: 162

Looks like we are finally getting lucky in Australia, after many years of exorbitant prices from importers and retailers.

As a comparison

Nikon 800 = $3419     Nikon 600 = $2479

Canon 5D 111 = $3597    Canon 6D = $2399

Sony A99 = $2899 (bought mine for $2,700 on pre-order)

As a comparison, the A77 is $1619

With these price differences, it makes it easier to see the A99 as a reasonable priced buy and Canon and Nikon as still gouging the Camera buying public.

Anyway, out to take some "pitchers"

Barry

Otherboss's gear list:Otherboss's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 +1 more
EvilOne
EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,488
Re: Jon, you have pretty strong words in there but when I sampled your gallery, not....(more)

gil wrote:

much meat, more like P&S shots. So it makes we wonder maybe you have other pics that fully utilize your current camera's capabilities that you find lacking in the A99. Why not just enjoy your camera and let the A99 users enjoy theirs too :-D?

cheers,

gil

JoNIKON

With 98 % of your post found in the Nikon forum,, why are you here? What purpose have you served...Are you trying to convert people too Nikon? by looking at your gallery, no one from here will be moving to Nikon any time soon... So what have you accomplished... ????? Not only did you embarrass yourself, but you wasted a lot of bandwidth which for the most part fell on deaf ears.

-- hide signature --

Bill aka EO

EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
quezra Veteran Member • Posts: 3,915

jonikon wrote:

Also the a99 is not a professional level camera. The a99s auto focus and viewfinder were borrowed from the a77 APS-C camera, and the body is not all metal (like the D800), but plastic at the critical lens mount area, (much like the D600). Nor is there a professional support system for the a99 like Nikon and Canon provide to professionals. Nice FF camera, maybe. Pro body, no.

Haha this is hilarious coming from the guy who threatened to boycott DPR's Nikon Consumer DX forum because it was called "Consumer" and he felt his D7000 was so much more (*sniffle*)

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads