What are the odds? My a55 died just a day after I ordered my a99.

Started Oct 29, 2012 | Discussions
J Birn Contributing Member • Posts: 867
What are the odds? My a55 died just a day after I ordered my a99.

So I am expecting a new a99 to arrive on Tuesday (in time for Halloween) but I was out shooting with my a55 yesterday. My 2-year-old daughter was playing on Asilomar State Beach in the late afternoon, I was getting a lot of great shots, when my a55 just suddenly stopped. Black. I hadn't seen warnings about a weak battery or anything, but I just guessed that somehow the battery had died (even though a full charge has always been enough for a day's outing like this.)

Anyway, I get home with my dead-as-a-brick a55, I try a new battery: Nothing. I try cleaning the three contacts in the battery port, first with a pencil eraser, then with a q-tip with residual oil remover, letting it sit without batteries for a while, then putting in a freshly charged battery: Nothing. I took the card out and loaded the shots into Lightroom, and the 973 shots I had taken that day all came out great, no sign of any problems in the images, until it stopped dead without warning. Now, in a few days, I'm expecting a new a99. The a55 was probably going to be sold, along with the kit lens that came with it.

Sony offers to fix an a55 for a flat rate of $248. I guess I could get it fixed, so I could sell it in working order. But that price is most of the resale value already. I don't think there's anything else to try, other than sending it off for repair. Is there? I know this was a coincidence, but I wish I hadn't talked about the a99 while the a55 was around to hear me...

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

J Birn's gear list:J Birn's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony Alpha a7R III Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 28mm F2 +2 more
Sony Alpha a99 Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
romicva Contributing Member • Posts: 576
Re: What are the odds? My a55 died just a day after I ordered my a99.

I read on this forum that using charged 3rd party batteries can wake up dead a33/55. I'd give it a try.

Good luck.

brian14478
brian14478 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,703

that is pretty ironic..as romvica said  a poster had his just die...tried a cheap off-brand battery and presto it worked.pretty crazy but so is the whole a99 timing.good luck and looking forward to some of your a99 images.oh i almost forgot if you type in on this forum -my a55 bricked it should come right up in search,..brian

sensibill
sensibill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,401

Yeah I'd try another battery. Those can get weird issues with them, since there's voltage monitoring circuitry on lithium batteries that can cause problems.

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha a7 II
james2k50
james2k50 Contributing Member • Posts: 573

J Birn wrote:

I get home with my dead-as-a-brick a55

How many actuations "shots" did you get out of it?

james2k50's gear list:james2k50's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A65
OP J Birn Contributing Member • Posts: 867

I guess a cheap off-brand battery is a low-cost investment, if there's a chance it would wake the a55 up. I'll see if such a thing is available locally (SF East Bay) so I can try it without doing mail ordering...

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

Sony RX100 V Sony Alpha a7R III Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 28mm F2 +2 more

james2k50 wrote:

I don't know. My best guess would be to multiply 20 months of use, times an estimated average of 2000 shots a month, which would put it at around 40,000 shots.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

james2k50

J Birn wrote:

james2k50 wrote:

I don't know. My best guess would be to multiply 20 months of use, times an estimated average of 2000 shots a month, which would put it at around 40,000 shots.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

Wow that's terrible well hopefully the battery trick with breath life back into it.

MrGubrz
MrGubrz Senior Member • Posts: 1,218

omg

were you talking about the new camera round the old camera?!

the emotional ISO might have been high... need to watch out for that sensitivity

so insensitive!

have fun with the new cam

that battery trick seems so weird that i want to disblieve it all.. but i guess if its working for people... lol

MrGubrz's gear list:MrGubrz's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony a9 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +12 more
lifeispixels New Member • Posts: 19

Did you try removing the lens and look at the sensor? My A55 had exactly the same 'dead' issue (replacing battery, cleaning, resetting don't work, only black screen) and when looking at the sensor, I saw a shutter closed and stuck like that. I googled and found that many people's A55 auto focus motor can be easily burnt and broken out of the blue, usually during shutter release. Mine burnt during the shutter release.

Sent it to the Sony service center in Thailand and got charged around 80 usd to replace the AF motor. After that it works again like new.

Don't sell it yet before you have fixed so you don't lose too much re-selling value

james2k50

J Birn wrote:

james2k50 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

I really can't believe you only got 40,000 before this happened. I just purchased the a35 which I think has the same sensor. I hope I'll have better luck... I'm a bit skeptical about my purchase now. Should I worry about this? I have no idea how many pictures were taken because this cam was a used demo model at the store..

Gary Waugh Senior Member • Posts: 1,736

There is a hard reset sequence for the A65 and A77. You might want to try this on the A55.

1.Turn ON the camera.
2.Press MENU, Play, MOVIE buttons simultaneously.
3.While Pressing these buttons, turn OFF the camera.
4.Release your fingers, and wait over 30 seconds.
5.Press MENU, Play, MOVIE buttons simultaneously again.
6.While Pressing these buttons, now turn ON the camera.
7.Release your fingers.

Worth a try.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

zefelder Regular Member • Posts: 191

Another possible way to fix issues I heard of is to take the battery out and leave the camera for at least 60 sec with the power switch in "on" position.

Btw why -1 on the OP post?!

Audiophiling Contributing Member • Posts: 673

Your a55 felt threatened by the new a99 and committed suicideĀ 

Audiophiling wrote:

Your a55 felt threatened by the new a99 and committed suicide

Harakiri! It's a Japan camera!

rio911
rio911 Contributing Member • Posts: 973

Audiophiling wrote:

Your a55 felt threatened by the new a99 and committed suicide

Condolences to the OP, but that was funny!

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 3,891

To the OP, try this .

1)Take out the battery and memory card,

2) close the battery compartment door, turn the switch to on,

3) then hold down the shutter button for 60 seconds.

4) Then, turn the camera off again, open the battery door, and reinsert the battery and card.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +9 more
romicva Contributing Member • Posts: 576

that's why i hate this feature

OK, I'll try that when I get home from work...

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads